Soundproofing

Ecto

Just now, Ecto said:

So will be 600w hps but probably only run 400w as tent is not massive, does a insulated box work for rvks? I can put a vent in the shed door and run duct into the tent for passive but how big if extraction will be 5”?

I think it’s usually twice the size of the area  extraction ? Might be wrong though, I had a double brick wall vent thingy and it worked fine with just a bit of negative pressure.

• Like 2

Just now, Gaijin said:

@LA LUNA I think it's more like 3 to 4 times, iirc. I could be wrong 

Can’t have a 15” duct coming in do t think they make that big 

• Like 2

Just now, Ecto said:

No, I'd say you would involve some passive intake along with the intake fan. I'm not planning on using an intake fan on my 8x4 tent. There's enough vents around sides and back of the tent, plus any unused duct ports. I'll have to make sure that they're light proof, but that shouldn't be a problem

• Like 1

Just now, Ecto said:

It’s the area of the opening so 3x the area of a 5” diameter circle isn’t 15”, I’ll have to try and work it

Edited by LA LUNA
8” is roughly 3x the area
  • Like 2

Just now, Gaijin said:

No, I'd say you would involve some passive intake along with the intake fan. I'm not planning on using an intake fan on my 8x4 tent. There's enough vents around sides and back of the tent, plus any unused duct ports. I'll have to make sure that they're light proof, but that shouldn't be a problem

I’m going to order the light this weekend and then run some temp tests for a few days before deciding on the set up for extraction, may need sound proofing if I can’t afford or fit these silenced ec fans or may be worth the money on that rather than insulation/soundproofing, seems a big outlay for a 1st grow and only 2 seeds but can’t have neighbours hearing me making my medicine 

• Like 2

Just now, Ecto said:

I’m going to order the light this weekend and then run some temp tests for a few days before deciding on the set up for extraction, may need sound proofing if I can’t afford or fit these silenced ec fans or may be worth the money on that rather than insulation/soundproofing, seems a big outlay for a 1st grow and only 2 seeds but can’t have neighbours hearing me making my medicine 

Completely feel you buddy,

just set up a tent in an outhouse, no soundproofing or insulation yet, setup my extractor yesterday and it’s a little noisy, neighbour’s kids were out playing while I was setting up so going to invest in some insulation to help heat retention during the night and then pop the extractor in a box to dampen the sound. 

• Like 2

Just now, LA LUNA said:

It’s the area of the opening so 3x the area of a 5” diameter circle isn’t 15”, I’ll have to try and work it

stoned sorry lol 

• Like 1

Years ago I used to run an rvk for extraction, I'd get the run set up then with careful cutting and stuffing of cracks put a box over the fan then spray a can of fire rated acoustic expanding foam into the box, greatly reduced the noise and never caught fire :skin_up:

• Like 6

Just now, Ecto said:

stoned sorry lol 

An 8” hole is nearly 3x the area of a 5” hole and would be fine mate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superstealth said:

If you buy a systemair revolution vector 2 its pretty much silent with phonic ducting even as large as 8" but they ain't cheap, the normal ones are more energy efficient but still make a racket

What he said - fans whisper quiet - plant some bamboo outside it'll be louder than the fan

• Like 3

Just now, LA LUNA said:

An 8” hole is nearly 3x the area of a 5” hole and would be fine mate.

Thanks, that works then! So now it’s either a high end silenced ec with carbon filter or a RVK covered in expanding foam lol

Edited by Ecto
  • Like 1

Just now, Puffdiddy said:

What he said - fans whisper quiet - plant some bamboo outside it'll be louder than the fan

Just a bit too pricey at the moment

1 minute ago, Ecto said:

Just a bit too pricey at the moment

@Ecto tell me about it!! It is good but way overpriced - The Yanks like the AC infinity range - can't validate it personally though 

• Like 1

Just now, Puffdiddy said:

@Ecto tell me about it!! It is good but way overpriced - The Yanks like the AC infinity range - can't validate it personally though 

Was just looking at  HYPER FAN STEALTH & RHINO PRO FILTER EXTRACTION KIT - ACOUSTIC DUCTING and just get the better ducting that was mentioned earlier