Soundproofing

Ecto

Hey, my tent is in my shed and was wondering if anyone has ever used soundproofing to dampen down the fan sounds etc?? 

• Like 2

Sound proofing properly will be really expensive, I would look to make a kingspan box to put the extraction fan in, then pack it out with whatever you have, ideally some rockwool insulation.  The biggest noise though on your size though will be the noise the air makes going through the ducting, to combat this invest in phonic ducting, it is far quieter than the crappy cheap stuff, also fan silencers are pretty good. For air movement if your running an intake fan look at getting a diffuse air, they connect to the end of the intake and circulate the air without the addition of the extra noise a oscillating fan will make.

Edited by Superstealth
  • Like 4

My shed grow room was lined with 5” cellotex insulation (same as kingspan just a different brand) + the shed had a 3” cavity filled with rock wool, I had a silencer after my extraction fan and you could not hear a thing in or out of the shed !

• Like 4

I have a "cabin" that will need more insulation. I'm sure it has some sort of basic insulation because someone was living in it for over a year. But I'd like to make it winter and summer AND soundproof. I'm hoping 50mm rockwool slab with a layer of thin plywood will be enough. The room I'm using is only 2.8m long. With the 50mm rockwool at each end I'll lose maybe 12cm overall length. That only leaves 28cm to split between each end of the 2.4m tent. It's going to be tight. Especially as I cannot extract through the top of the tent either as it will be jammed up against the ceiling. From what you say @LA LUNA, I might need to go for the 100mm :doh:   

I'll be interested to see what people think might be a minimum wall thickness to "silence" EC fans. I'll be using Phonic Trap ducting. 

Good thread @Ecto Hope we get some good info :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superstealth said:

Sound proofing properly will be really expensive, I would look to make a kingspan box to put the extraction fan in, then pack it out with whatever you have, ideally some rockwool insulation.  The biggest noise though on your size though will be the noise the air makes going through the ducting, to combat this invest in phonic ducting, it is far quieter than the crappy cheap stuff, also fan silencers are pretty good. For air movement if your running an intake fan look at getting a diffuse air, they connect to the end of the intake and circulate the air without the addition of the extra noise a oscillating fan will make.

Fucking knowledge right there!!!! Cheers brother

• Like 1

So when they say these fans are quiet they ain’t! My shed is just shed thick at the moment so I assume I’m needing to insulate? Whole shed or just round tent? How do I post photos?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaijin said:

I have a "cabin" that will need more insulation. I'm sure it has some sort of basic insulation because someone was living in it for over a year. But I'd like to make it winter and summer AND soundproof. I'm hoping 50mm rockwool slab with a layer of thin plywood will be enough. The room I'm using is only 2.8m long. With the 50mm rockwool at each end I'll lose maybe 12cm overall length. That only leaves 28cm to split between each end of the 2.4m tent. It's going to be tight. Especially as I cannot extract through the top of the tent either as it will be jammed up against the ceiling. From what you say @LA LUNA, I might need to go for the 100mm :doh:   

I'll be interested to see what people think might be a minimum wall thickness to "silence" EC fans. I'll be using Phonic Trap ducting. 

Good thread @Ecto Hope we get some good info :D 

What sort of noise are we talking from EC fans 

• Like 1

When I first built my shed grow I was reading in to soundproofing and insulation and 1 cheap trick is decoupling, basically an insulated box in a box with a small cavity between the 2, obviously not so good if your struggling for width or height and need insulation for heat purposes like winter shed growers do.

@Gaijin you’d be surprised how much soundproofing 100mm of insulation board will provide !

I did 7 years in my shed all year round with   5” of insulation board a thermostatic fan speed controller and a bit of heating in the winter, anything’s possible with a bit of planning !

no one heard or smelled a thing :cowboy:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ecto said:

What sort of noise are we talking from EC fans 

If you buy a systemair revolution vector 2 its pretty much silent with phonic ducting even as large as 8" but they ain't cheap, the normal ones are more energy efficient but still make a racket

• Like 3

Just now, Superstealth said:

If you buy a systemair revolution vector 2 its pretty much silent with phonic ducting even as large as 8" but they ain't cheap, the normal ones are more energy efficient but still make a racket

Nice, but a tad more than I have a budget for at the moment, so these RVK fans are to loud for garden shed with neighbours? Was going 4” in 5” out

@Ecto RVKs are louder than ECs. Then you have the expensive silenced ECs like the vector 2. Out of my price range too lol But the AC Infinity EC fans are supposed to be pretty quiet - that's what I'll be using. Hopefully you're right @LA LUNA I'm going to open up the door and fill in the panels. Probably glue some insulation board to the inside of the door too

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

@Ecto RVKs are louder than ECs. Then you have the expensive silenced ECs like the vector 2. Out of my price range too lol But the AC Infinity EC fans are supposed to be pretty quiet - that's what I'll be using. Hopefully you're right @LA LUNA I'm going to open up the door and fill in the panels. Probably glue some insulation board to the inside of the door too

Thanks all great tips, does my inlet fan have to be as good quality as the extraction fan? Can’t really afford 2 of these fans, could maybe splurge on one

• Like 2

Just now, Ecto said:

Nice, but a tad more than I have a budget for at the moment, so these RVK fans are to loud for garden shed with neighbours? Was going 4” in 5” out

How much lighting have you got ? If it’s 600w or below I wouldn’t bother with an inlet fan, just a passive intake of the correct size if your room or tent has got some insulation round it a 5” RVK will be fine.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Thanks all great tips, does my inlet fan have to be as good quality as the extraction fan? Can’t really afford 2 of these fans, could maybe splurge on one

Just now, LA LUNA said:

How much lighting have you got ? If it’s 600w or below I wouldn’t bother with an inlet fan, just a passive intake of the correct size if your room or tent has got some insulation round it a 5” RVK will be fine.

So will be 600w hps but probably only run 400w as tent is not massive, does a insulated box work for rvks? I can put a vent in the shed door and run duct into the tent for passive but how big if extraction will be 5”?

• Like 1