420l comp

Baron von greenback

Good luck everyone :)

Can’t believe @B-real has already filled his pot and ready to rock and roll, fair play. Got me thinking what I’m going to put in it myself. Think I’m going to go with a mix of Clover moss peat, Peat free compost, Chicken pellets, eggs and plain old soil from the garden.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Revive said:

Eggs?? What for calcium

To be honest I’m not that sure lol

It was believe it or not a tip from my mum who’s been growing veg for 50 years. I told her what I was up to and that was her secret ingredient, 1 egg per 100l. This is my first time growing outdoors so any advice I get from experienced people I’m taking and what harm can 4 eggs in a 420l pot do?

• Like 2

Do you crack the egg into your water or do you just put an egg in the ground? I put my eggshells into my bokashi bin, so they do eventually end up on my plot, I figure that they must be a source of calcium. 

• Like 2

Well that would be the reason I'm sure.. egg shells leach calcium into the soil and is as you say a veg growers secret.. so you just need the shells in you want to go down that route but pointless imo swap that for a bit of FBB would be my advice :yep:

• Like 2

Does the egg ferment, 

creating some warmth as it does so? 

Sulphur would surely be created(micro nutrient). 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

Do you crack the egg into your water or do you just put an egg in the ground? I put my eggshells into my bokashi bin, so they do eventually end up on my plot, I figure that they must be a source of calcium. 

I like to whisk it briefly small knob of  butter drop of milk and a few cracks of black pepper.  Lovely scrammy egg .

Oh wait wrong forum.

:wallbash:

Edited by B-real

3 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Does the egg ferment, 

creating some warmth as it does so? 

Sulphur would surely be created(micro nutrient). 

Atb 

:yinyang:

Its just for the calcium i belive mate, have the egg with your bacon and bury the shells.. its an old tomatoe growers trick :yep: 

• Like 5

On 12/04/2022 at 11:46 PM, Revive said:

Eggs?? What for calcium

Eggs shall also contain silica which helps with podered mildew. Tho its not easily accessible in decent amounts until its been broken down over a few year's. You can also make a organic calcium/silica stray by mixing dried ground up egg shells with white vinegar.

Edited by brock1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, brock1 said:

Eggs shall also contain silica which helps with podered mildew. Tho its not easily accessible in decent amounts until its been broken down over a few year's. You can also make a organic calcium/silica stray by mixing dried ground up egg shells with white vinegar.

Yes thats right I did read that somewhere about the powdery mildew.. I very much doubt enough would be accessible to the plants unless as you say enough has broken down over time.. its a tip thrown around old school tomatoe growing it would seem :yinyang:

• Like 3

Just now, Revive said:

Yes thats right I did read that somewhere about the powdery mildew.. I very much doubt enough would be accessible to the plants unless as you say enough has broken down over time.. its a tip thrown around old school tomatoe growing it would seem :yinyang:

I read it take 2 years to be accessible to plants after adding to the soil. Not sure how true that is but thats what I was told.

• Like 2