Fem Subbies

Military Grade

I sent in some freebies ( not many.  It was something like 15 packs of 3 seeds, I think?)  that *should be* fems.  I didn't test them, hence being sent in as freebies and not sub beans.  

I've grown and smoked one since I sent them in.  It's a pretty decent stone.  The one plant I grew and smoked, you could definitely tell there was landrace sativa in it.  It was a pretty "up" almost jittery, spastic feeling high.    "Pluff Mud" is what I called it.  I haven't seen anyone grow them yet.  I assumed no one cared, or no one was willing to risk it for something untested with a strain name they had never heard of. ( this is the reality, unfortunately.  In my opinion anyway.  I believe people aren't going to take a chance on a name they've never heard of.  Such is human nature, i suppose.)  I'm putting three more "Pluff Mud" outside in a week or so.  I'll have a better idea for how reliable they are once that is completed.  I have about 500 more seeds that I'd happily send in as subs once I have a better idea for how they're going to be and I trust them to be Fem seeds.  They should be, but that *should be* shit will get you.  I need to know they is be, for sure.   

I also have a really killer smelling Indian Bubblegum plant in flower right now that's backed up. It wouldn't be a ton of extra effort to self a cutting of that plant, if I decide it's worth it once smoked.  It's unquestionably worth it with regards to smell and resin production, but that part doesn't matter at all if the high isn't much to talk about. 

I don't mind selfing plants at all, but I'm not gonna go through the trouble if there isn't a good deal of interest in it. 

I can definitely see how fems would be a worthwhile addition.  There are a lot of different reasons people may want fem beans.  Lots of different types of growers.  I know people that dont give a shit about learning about growing, they just want to make free weed.  That's great. Some folks may only have space for one plant.  That's cool, too. Then I know people who's primary concern is NOT making free weed ( that's people like me) but more learning the process, using scientific method to attempt and put patterns of cause/effect together to truly try and understand what's going on.  That's cool too.  

I'm happy to make some fem beans over the next couple months, if there's real, genuine interest in using them.  It would be a bit of a bummer, though, to go through the effort of it and no one gives a fuck.  If that's the case, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing, sifting through regs in hopes of finding good plants to build a living library for future use. 

E2A:  It occurs to me that I have two plants that might make a cool fem/fem hybrid.  The previously mentioned Indiana Bubblegum plant ( this one smells like Cantaloupe.  It's wild!) and another FDM Bubblegum mystery cross that smells like "purple."  Purple candy is the best I can do to describe it.  Maybe slightly artificial grape?  It was a good high.  Pretty clear headed until you overdo it and then it's night night.  That might be a cool Bubblegum/Mystery Bubblegum cross.  I'm a little unsure about the likely genetic results from a reversed female to reversed female cross, If I were to do it that way.  I'd probably self the top of each plant, let them both make pollen, and pollenate each other.  My brain tells me, done that way, there will likely be a lot of inconsistency in the results from seed to seed, but I kinda like that. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 12

@geo1  It's certainly a possibility. There are three possible BGxST options listed on the FDM site. Which one of those, using which BG cut, and if BG was the mom or dad, is the question.  I suppose I don't really care, as I'll never have the answer to the question.  I tried to take a guess when it first started to smell crazy, but I couldn't guess with any accuracy.  I just settled on " It's pretty good weed that smells really good."  

That's the best I could guess, so it has to be good enough lol

I can't say it smells like GRAPE, but I think that's the best word I know to describe it with relevance.  Artificial grape is probably the closest descriptor I can come up with. It definitely tastes sweet and purple.  But without any sort of allusion to vanilla, like I've tasted in other "purple-ish" tasting strains like Purple Punch.  The Purple Punch I grew tasted like grape and vanilla. 

• Like 4

I’d like to make some fems at some point but without a separate space for STS I wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping the sprayed/reversed mum in with my other plants.

That said, it would be interesting to try isolating one branch, spraying it, waiting for the pollen sacks to appear before removing it and letting it finish on the windowsill. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Smokey McBongface said:

I’d like to make some fems at some point but without a separate space for STS I wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping the sprayed/reversed mum in with my other plants.

That said, it would be interesting to try isolating one branch, spraying it, waiting for the pollen sacks to appear before removing it and letting it finish on the windowsill. 

Why not? I keep multiple females in the same pot and reverse 1 plant. Sometimes only 1 arm on a plant is revered. This arm can even be removed and put in water before the males flower's open like people do with outdoor males.

• Like 3

@Military Gradehopefully, will have a few fem crosses towards the end of year,  quite excited about them as well, flavour taste terps etc but they might be a bit strong for your liking mate

atb 4k

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, 4kali said:

@Military Gradehopefully, will have a few fem crosses towards the end of year,  quite excited about them as well, flavour taste terps etc but they might be a bit strong for your liking mate

atb 4k

Nice. I can still mix it or micro dose with the DynaVap :yep:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Military Grade said:

It is when you have to grow and bunch of medical CBD strains in there all at the same time lol

I still don't get it. Are you saying it's because you need guaranteed plant numbers? 

That's fair enough, if so. But it's just a case of planting more and chucking the males before you've spotted up to your finals.

Like I say, I've got nothing against fems and if you want to grow them then grow them, it's all cool. I don't agree when people say they can't grow regs though. It might put newer growers off growing vars they otherwise would want to. I can only flower one plant in a five litre pot, my space is tiny. I've got five seedlings in there at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvester growdrobe said:

I still don't get it.

Yep

80% of my consumption is CBD flower. I can at max do 2-3 grows a year but anytime wasted with my small space sexing THC plants drastically effects this system it's really not hard to understand. Soon as one grow finishes the next one needs to start and all the plants need to finish about the same time so guaranteed females is needed in my use case. I'm sure most people are smart enough to understand my use case that it wouldn't put them off growing regs

It's not that I can't physically grow regs I just don't have the time with my limited space and medical needs. Anyways this thread is not meant to be a discussion about regs and is meant purely about Fem subbie projects:yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 7

On 27/03/2022 at 11:34 AM, Cajafiesta said:

killer smelling Indian Bubblegum

I'd definitely be interested in some decent BB fems if she proves herself worthy mate. 

• Like 3

On 27/03/2022 at 4:36 AM, brock1 said:

I am saying nothing other than I am making some fem for subbies again this year. You really don't want to know anyway because surprises are more fun :pitchfork:

Later in the year I hope, my wallet needs to recover for a little while lol

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

it's really not hard to understand. Soon as one grow finishes the next one needs to start and all the plants need to finish about the same time so guaranteed females is needed in my use case. I'm sure most people are smart enough to understand my use case that it wouldn't put them off growing regs

Mate, at no point have I criticised you. I literally said I didn't understand, what's this veiled digs shit all about? Calm down.

Just now, silvester growdrobe said:

Mate, at no point have I criticised you. I literally said I didn't understand, what's this veiled digs shit all about? Calm down.

I didn't at any point take it as criticism or make any digs fella. All in your head if you feel that way mate:yep:

• Like 4

17 hours ago, brock1 said:

Why not? I keep multiple females in the same pot and reverse 1 plant. Sometimes only 1 arm on a plant is revered. This arm can even be removed and put in water before the males flower's open like people do with outdoor males.

The only potential problem I see with this,

is that the weed from the reversed plant should not be consumed iirc

Collect the seeds,

but discard the weed :)

The weed on the untreated plants should be ok though.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4