BHO vs QWISO

dingo bingo

Morning everyone,

As my current crop approaches the chop I'm planning ahead to process most of it into oil as my asthma has got worse recently - vaping with my volcano gets my chest real tight and wheezy.

I've made QWISO before a few times but never BHO.

What are people's thoughts on BHO vs QWISO?

I'm also looking to buy a concentrate vaporiser and/or e-nail so recommendations for them would be great too.

I have a dab rig already but I'd like a more consistent and accurate temperature that an e-nail would offer.

Can I suggest neither.

Having played around with both qwiso and bho for a number of years I made a rosin press following instructions on here 2 years ago.

Never looked back. Iso now just used for cleaning and butane for lighters.

If you have to use such solvents I found I slightly prefered bho. Removing the final traces of either solvent tricky without vacuum kit.

Otherwise you have the option of using the safest solvent of all, water. Buy a camping washing machine, handful of bags and make some bubble.

For portable I recommend the DT v5.

For erig I use a Cannabis hardware d cup. If I was to do it again probably buy a PID and coil and match to a decent banger. Much cheaper.

Edited by M Pamplemousse
  • Like 1

BHO requires more equipment to do safely.  BHO retains more of its monoterpenes than QWISO so more closely resembles the starting material in aroma and flavor, because of its lower boiling point.  

BHO process is more forgiving because it is a non-polar solvent that doesn't extract water solubles or chlorophyll.  

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/8-essential-oil-safety/8-14-please-do-not-immolate-yourselves-extracting-bho-indoors

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-11-open-blast

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-12-thermos-extraction

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-13-lil-terp-passive-extractor

I built my own electric nail using a 20mm heating coil:  https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/15-diy-equipment/15-18-electric-nails

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 6

For me Iso extraction has always seemed easier and less work. The advantage of BHO is that it won't extract any of the green/chlorophyll like iso, but IME qwiso solves that problem and can produce some amazing quality with a bit if practice. 

Of course if I had the room and the budget I'd buy/build a rosin press, but if it's a choice between the 2 iso wins hands down for me. 

I was recommended the Coil King AIO, its the only dab pen I've found that works both ways up so it can be used with a little 10mm rig or just on its own. I'm yet to buy one, but they get great reviews. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I was recommended the Coil King AIO, its the only dab pen I've found that works both ways up so it can be used with a little 10mm rig or just on its own. I'm yet to buy one, but they get great reviews. 

I have a coil king. You can invert after the first hit as it needs to be right way up to melt the concentrate onto the coil.

It's not my first choice hence why I suggested a decent mod driven atomiser with TC. But if £30 is your budget then the CK is a great option.

I did a review a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

Im looking at BHO myself, looking at the closed column kit with Vacuum after to purge the butane but is sort of raping the environment every time, rosin press is cleaner but you cant work with as much bud unless your press is huge

My mate has the complete closed loop kit and re-uses his solvent although he had a leak not too long ago and set himself on fire (always clean your gaskets and seals!!!)

Edited by sweettooth

My two cents-

ISO is the simplest method. Personally, if you’re gonna dab,vape,combust the stuff, iso extractions aren’t where it’s at. I’ve done the quick wash thing and it’s a better product, but I find iso extract to be dirtier, overall. It makes your rig dirty and I don’t care for the taste. Works great in an ingestion application, but that’s about it IMO. 

BHO is a much better product, in my eyes, if you’re gonna dab/vape/smoke it. It doesn’t pick up the chlorophyll as iso does. A vacuum chamber is pretty much mandatory, and it’s pretty easy to blow yourself up. 

If I ever decide to put constant effort (iso and BHO have just been things I’ve done for the sake of understanding how to do it. Not normal habit for me. I like to smoke flower.) into any sort of extract, it’ll be a heat press. There are less health risks from potential trace butane and iso and it’s a much faster process. Press, collect, the end. No waiting two days with BHO under vacuum, purging off for eons.  No cleanup of 5 different sticky ass containment vessels, no cleanup of sticky ass blast tube etc. Catch the rosin on parchment or silicone and you’re done. 

a cheap hair straightener is a good “dip your toes into a rosin press” experiment. 

e2a either of the two methods will require a decent quantity of iso, even BHO. You’ll have to wash and re wash everything with iso to get the residue off. The cleanup of iso and BHO are the biggest pain in the ass to me. I hate sticky shit.

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Can I suggest neither.

Having played around with both qwiso and bho for a number of years I made a rosin press following instructions on here 2 years ago.

Never looked back. Iso now just used for cleaning and butane for lighters.

If you have to use such solvents I found I slightly prefered bho. Removing the final traces of either solvent tricky without vacuum kit.

Otherwise you have the option of using the safest solvent of all, water. Buy a camping washing machine, handful of bags and make some bubble.

For portable I recommend the DT v5.

For erig I use a Cannabis hardware d cup. If I was to do it again probably buy a PID and coil and match to a decent banger. Much cheaper.

What are them little washing machines used for also i hopeing to do some bubble hash what size bags would you recommend mate 

If you want the best quality oil to vape then rosin press will give you the best flavour but isn't exactly practical unless you have a huge press or a considerable amount of free time to make it fresh every day or 2, for me this was 2 much of a pain in the arse

BHO is easier to make in larger quantities, you will pull all of the waxes out though unless you winterise the oil after making it

QWISO I personally wouldn't bother with for vaping purposes as unless you have a lot of practice your pretty much always going to end up with chlorophyll in it and it will taste like shit, its also considerably harder to completely remove all of the alcohol than it is the gas in BHO

I personally make around 100g of raw BHO oil from each crops trim and popcorn buds, I dont use it in dab rig though, I turn it into edibles or make vape cartridges, I have a dab rig but after years of doing bongs as a kid don't really enjoy coughing my lungs out

You say in your post about having asthma, have you ever tried oil as its much thicker on your chest than vaping weed or at least in my experience of it.

If you go down the BHO or Rosin route remember to keep the material after making it, grab yourself a slow cooker and some coconut oil and you can make some pretty decent medicated coconut oil from the material you will have left

Edited by Superstealth

from makin shatter to butter to dimonds

it all comes down to the taste of the herb ........Even rosin can be awesome tasting.

Lets just say I dont use gas anymore.

just a matter of time till Id fuck up

and well

I fuck up sometimes so... I know better eh lol

I still make ISO for ingesting. QWISO can be tasty as fuck as well...

As kids....We used to make reg green weed oil over days ..with heat lol

Little did we know how solvents work....:unsure:

The colder the better is always key.

The odd time with hydro indoor we could make some tasty GREEN oil lol but yeah..not very often,

It was usually made with outdoor and all that was left from last year. before we'd make weed oil....

safety is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.....

do things outside..

.away from people

and neighbors yards.

The stuff (gas) pools when released if no wind present...:eek::idea:

Edited by gb1

6 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

What are them little washing machines used for also i hopeing to do some bubble hash what size bags would you recommend mate 

Do some searching for camping w/m making bubble. There is loads of info. I use the cheap bubble bags, they come in sets.

It's a lot of work but worth it. There is a dude on here who does a lot, freeze dried and makes wonderful full melt. 

It also enables you to make live bh, imo the tastiest concentrate.

4 hours ago, gb1 said:

Even rosin can be awesome tasting.

??? Can you clarify what you mean. I find rosin the tastiest of concentrates excepting live. It seems by saying 'even' that in general it is not tasty...

Edited by M Pamplemousse
  • Like 1