IMPORTANT: HPLVD

blackpoolbouncer

On 05/07/2023 at 11:30 PM, BushDoctoR said:

@Unc Flawless

Any update on that plant you had tested? Would be good to know if there is any truth to that trick.

I'm currently growing a few different Gelato 41 phenos and all of the cuts from one mum have much smaller buds than on previous grows. The crop overall is very healthy and there shouldn't be any issues so I'm starting to worry it could be HLV

It's just bro science, it was told to me by a reliable source, guess you should send of for testing to be 100% sure

you can fish a plant out I had a studio 54 sent It had horizontal branching over lapping fan leaves I killed it straight away as I snapped the plant it had a brittle snap that could be heard from space. 

I told the guy I got it off and he sort of lol at me sent all his plants of and it come back positive for hop latent viroid and come back and told me my observation was correct and apologised like a decent guy  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting and worrying thread.

I too read every page .

First heard of Hop Latent Viroid a few weeks ago in a grow shop.

They mentioned it as a potentially very serious threat to the cannabis scene..I wasn't aware how widespread it already is in UK.

There are naysayers online who say it's a load of 'Conspiracy', but there were people who also said Covid wasn't real, and who think the royal family are shape shifting lizards {well...they might have a point there}

Hops and cannabis being related, it's probably not too difficult for a viroid to make that jump.

It's good that household bleach at least {so far} seem to kill it on cutting tools and surfaces.

Human Norovirus is also immune to the effects of IPA- as with Hop latent viroid...IPA just moves it around a bit.

I hope members who have worthy Mothers going back decades can keep them safe.

The loss of faithful mother/s is a painful thing. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Urban Nursery Clones Transmission in seed form is a stark possibility.

3 minutes ago, Urban Nursery Clones said:

get rid of all my stock and nuke my environment from top to bottom with bleach, repeatedly

Fixed that bit for you.

Also going on your username are you in fact one of those unregulated clone merchants who are very responsible for the spread of this viroid?

If so you've probably done at least some irreparable damage to irreplaceable keepers the nation over.

:yinyang:

• Like 6

I know I’m pretty much alone on this one. Where’s the fun in growing out other peoples selections?! It’s like having yer food chewed for yer. I still see people accepting cuttings. Is it worth it? ALL your equipment inside and outside has to go now if it was me. The whole thing. 

I get the whole earth shaking pheno shit but weed will get you high. End of. Grow boof probably not. Good genetics. 10 seeds. If you can’t find owt that’ll get you high I’ll give you the money back myself. 

• Like 7

So at what temperature is HPLVD treatment done dose anyone know? Most plants are treated at 35-43c for 4-6 weeks for virus infections. Although I can find success stories of treated cannabis plant's I can't seem to find a definitive temperature. I mean hopefully I never need to treat a plant but its useful information to have just incase :yinyang:

Edited by brock1
8 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

@brock1 you're not saving a hlvd infected plant if that's what you're asking?  Even tissue culture isn't guaranteed to be clear.

Thats not what I am asking. What I am asking is this. Lets say you have a mother thats 30yr old. Now you suddenly get HLVD & your the only person who keep this clone at current time. To clean the clone you need to culture it apparently.  I say apparently because I don't believe that part for 1 second. A clean clone in a clean environment in rock wool would be adequate for most plant imoa. Not to remove the virus from this previous clone it need to be kept at a higher temperature. Normally 35-43c for 4-6 day. Just like humans keep warm plenty of fluids to stop dehydration to kill a virus because they don't like heat. So what I am asking is the upper end heat more important than the duration of treatment or the duration more important than the heat in treatment of HLVD?  Lets face the facts most people I know that could get this would ether bin the sick plant or dump it somewhere away from their grow causing its spread. So were going to see it more frequently. Personally I would rather treat it than start again with someone else's selections ect.

2 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

@brock1 sorry mate I still don't understand what you're asking.  What do you mean by 'treat', what are you trying to achieve?

Hlvd is a viroid also, not a virus.  There's no protein coating on the rna and molecules are smaller and more mobile.

Are you asking how to dispose of infected plants?

I am not sure I can post the links here but here's a copy & paste of what I am asking. Hope this helps?

The best way to control the spread of HLVd is to get rid of infected plants as soon as HLVd is detected. If this is not an option (because you want to save the stock plant, for example) viruses and viroids can generally be eliminated through heat and cold treatments of meristem via tissue culture.6 Nov 2019

11 hours ago, brock1 said:

Lets say you have a mother thats 30yr old.

This I would have to see, is that even possible? Off topic but what's the longest non flowered mother you could keep?

• Like 1