IMPORTANT: HPLVD

blackpoolbouncer

Still trying to work out the most efficient way to keep mother plants & take clones. & how to set the room up.

How do you contract the viroid if don't take any clones in, can you manifest it by poor hygienic practice like pests? Don't really understand that part.

After hearing that plants that share a run off could spread infection via the roots is scary. So just thinking if got to raise every mother off the ground. Suppose that has other benefits too like air flow under the pots so that seems reasonable. 

The reusing soil thing got me coz what's the solution for that with mother plants.. Like make sure the clone is clean as a whistle before even mothering the plant in soil.  

Also dno if i understood this correctly but can some areas of the plant be effected & some not.. Coz just thinking even if use a different razor every plant, could you risk spreading it to different areas of that one plant. If I'm cutting 25 clones off one plant, would 1 razor for that plant be sound or 1 razor for 1 clone or like multiple scissors sat in bleach, cut one plant & into the beach & take a clean pair for another plant. Or cut one clone & then into the bleach. 

God knows how that works over 100s of mother plants haha 

That bird said about sending multiple samples from different areas of the plant in for testing. Going to cost an arm & a leg. Some plants I've got I just keep as mother's, flowering them every now & again but still have to prune them regularly. I couldn't just test production plants & not personal hobby ones. 

What's the cost of keeping a plant library now. 

• Like 1

@Fatboy77

Yeah it's a head ache. 

Im not sure if I've had it or it was just coz the plant was a bit ropey coz it's an old mother plant. I wouldn't rule it out though. the branches were weak. I'm trying to tell myself nah it's an old mother plant haha 

I would like to just get everything tested just for peace of mind... For hop latent I mean not aids. Can't get that twice lucky enough lol

@Welsh Tom any common system will risk spread of virus. roots in water is a bit more dangerous, but in reality, if they are in any proximity, you should assume infected and burn.

soil should be sterilised. you can use the oven.

as @fatboy77 says, in reality this is why you use a flame, and an effing hot one. use one knife per sterile system and make the cut edge glow in between each cut or just slowly wave it through, but you are looking for several seconds dwell in a several hundred degs flame, not just a swipe over a lighter flame.

if you genuinely have a virus then you need to think your entire strategy through. most horticultural books will start with; burn all the plants. thorw anything moveable away and the clean / sanistise anything fixed as if your life depended on it. you cannot sterilise fixed installations in reality, only sanitise them as best as possible.

but mainly sit down, have a very long think and work out what is best. dont take unnecessarty risks and definitely not unnecessary short cuts.

• Like 1

That's fair enough @fatboy77 the stuff I am repeating is just perceived wisdom. A bit like slaughtering herds of animals for foot and mouth. The disease is not always fatal but the diagnosis always is.

The people designing such wisdom feel, or are told, they need to evidence very high risk reduction rates such as the magic 10 to the minus 6 and don't really understand what that means and so go for gold plating.

And an individual's perception of, and tolerance for risk will vary.

4 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

@JonDaMon quite a few now, you can test here.  £40 odd a test iirc.

Can't remember the name but you'll find stuff putting hlvd into instaslag.

I’ve read all about HPLVD on the other site I was a member of. 

ok let me ask this differently. lol  

has anyone else developed a test (besides DHN) to test for HPLVD?

This testing you said can be done is it using DHN testing criteria or are there other companies that have developed their own testing and identification of the HPLVD?

Remember the TMV days everyone going off on one about TMV when the leaf issues were simply variegation showing through on certain strains?

Like with anything theres always those that believe and those that don’t but when there is literally one company who can test for it using their proprietary testing I always smell something fishy. lol  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ukbudz said:

There's a few, tumigenomics are the ones that do the tests for the lad over here.

and a quick Google search about them and many USA folks using them are not convinced they are testing properly as no one seems to have had a positive. 

now I’m not green enough to think a virus will never impact cannabis but when one nursery “finds” a virus that they can make money from which they “appear” to have started, like I said something smells fishy lol  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

Are you doubting the existence of HLVD?  Look to research done on actual hops, not cannabis.

I can confirm I've had a few runs ruined by it and I also know of at least two people who've been wiped out by it.

Eta - got a link showing no-one has had a positive test?  I can't remember where I saw it, but there were a scary number of positive results when I last went digging.

it was over on THC farmer. 

im not doubting the existence but I always tend to refer back to TMV with things like this. 

i guess I would like to know that other labs are using their own testing methods and not those methods found/created by DHN. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

Been around since the 70's mate, so I'd fucking hope so.  I doubt dark heart is anywhere near that old!

like I said I’m just a bit dubious when you see things such as this relating to dark heart. 

they found it and then subsequently send in a patent for the testing and eliminating of it. 

Dark Heart Nursery identifies new pathogen, creates patent-pending process for testing and eliminating cannabis "dudding". 2019

maybe once someone like Bruce Bugbee begins to research it or even just mention it then maybe I will take it seriously. 

thankfully I don’t take clone stock from anyone any more and tend to run from seed and as yet I haven’t found any issues with my own grows if it is transferable by seeds (which many believe it is) 

Is there specific lineage that it follows around? 

is it mainly the latest “drops” that are being infected due to lineage being used etc?

Edited by JonDaMon

@JonDaMon I’ve been a victim of hops and I can think of at least 15 other people just on a short list that have. It’s very real and has spread like wild fire. 

Wouldn’t even compare it to the likes of TMV this virus is on a whole different level. It’s pretty new in cannabis though so not a lot of facilities testing but there is a few already 

Edited by HazyHashMan
  • Like 4
5 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

@HazyHashMan and do you know how you got it?

from seed? Breeder?

from clone? Which genetics?

did it come in from overseas?

can I ask please. what point is it, that your trying to make. its been mentioned above how rife this virus is .... and we have seen it noted in many a journal and discussions on these boards.have you had a look around the boards?

I think the question now should be what's the best practices in keeping a tidy ship. have you got anything to say or contribute with regard to this matter

• Like 3

@JonDaMon I got it from clone, multiple genetics. The root cause as far as i'm aware was lumpys apple fritter from california. From there it layed dormant and was spread throughout multiple gardens and infected many clones.

The virus can lay dormant with no symptoms for upto 2 years, giving it upto a 2 year window to contaminate anything it comes into contact with within that time frame and so on

• Like 4