Fungus Gnats - my proposed plan. Will it work?

Alys

Fwiw I used to be plagued my fungus gnats practically every grow. A very least 50% of the time.

Been a few years since I've had a dose now.

Which roughly coincides with how long I been reusing the same soil.  9/10 times the gnats come as a freebie with newly purchased soil.

So no new soil. No new gnats.

Maybe a coincidence sure.. But there's a logic there too.

Might be something to think about like.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FlowwolF said:

you mind me asking how you're tackling the root aphids biologically

Flying Skull Nuke Em works on Root Aphids

• 2 weeks later...

has anybody tried the Summit mosquito dunks - apparently kills larvae for 30 days £13.99 from amazone, Im not recommending but might be worth a try, seem to have lots of good reviews 

Edited by Dodgee
Remove link
  • Like 1

I had them on my first grow. One dose of hydrogen peroxide and proper wet and dry cycles and they was gone for good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

I would be worried that hydrogen peroxide would harm the plants - what dosage did you use ?

Was about 2 years ago now. There are guides online but if I remember right you get the 3% stuff and mix it 1 part HP and 3 parts water(but double check) it's meant to be fine for the plant and then turns into regular water.

This is the plant I did it to and she seemed fine with it.

large.605e2929a2fea_ResizedCBDpic.jpg

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 4

I've used HP in coco with good results, but I thought it was bad for soil/compost.  

Oh yeah @Alys I don't think the play sand worked. I kept seeing the little buggers climbing out of it. The nematode and sticky traps dealt with them proper.  I still see the odd one every few days, but the nematodes must sort them out as and when they come.

• Like 2

@Alys they can survive on other organic material so they'll always be there waiting in case the little midges come back.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

Get a few glasses and put some apple cider vinegar in them and add a few drops of fairy liquid in each then place them around your grow area especially where you see the most gnats

Owd

• Like 5

Best thing to do is if you buy a brand of soil and it has twigs or bits of bark in them or is generally quite woody don't buy it again for indoor use.

I've had no problems with gnats since switching to tropic mix, it has a high coir content and the rest has no twigs or clumps of bark that tend to be the main culprit.

I did have an intruder start up a home but was remedied with one of those sticky hormone traps you can buy on a well known auction site (they're much larger than the ribbon traps it's like an envelope sized yellow card) and letting my pots dry a little more. 

• Like 3