Fungus Gnats - my proposed plan. Will it work?

Alys

Hi all,

I have got a case of fungus gnats in my little veg tent (50 x 50 x 100cm)

There are two plants in there and they are due to switch to flowering in 3 weeks, so now is definitely the time to eradicate them or a abandon these long vegging (5 weeks to date) plants.

Obviously I am hoping to keep the plants.

So far:

I have put sticky traps up and there are plenty of victims!

Hopefully tomorrow the Tanlin I have ordered will arrive.

My “plan”

1. bag up each plant and get it outside and blast them upside down with the garden hose.

2. submerge the pots completely (not plants?) in a bucket of water with tanlin added at recommended dosage (unknown until instructions seen)

3. Leave for …..minutes? ………hours? Suggestions please!

4. Hoover tent

5. put in new sticky traps

6. Put an inch of “play sand” on top of the compost and cover with a stocking as extra protection.

7. After …….days?  Saturate compost with tanlin solution.  Top up sand as required.

8. Replace sticky traps

9. Repeat steps 7 & 8 - but how often please?

Going forward I intend that these plants in when they get to Week 6 Flower will go into a larger tent - I DO NOT WANT INFEST THAT TENT TOO :wallbash:

I would rather abandon them now if my plan is not viable.

NOTE: When the plants move to the larger tent I will have a plant to dry in the small tent and I intend to smoke bomb the little tent before hanging freshly cut weed. Good idea? 

I also need to pot up before flowering begins - so within next 3 weeks.

I am not looking for alternative solutions at this point but assistance with what I’ve got (sticky traps and Tanlin) and my chance of success.

Thank you for reading and I am hoping I am not too far off the mark.  

Constructive criticism please!

Edited by Alys
Amend
  • Like 2

At least you are in compost :yep:

Keeping on the drier side of things will help keep the numbers down a bit. 

I'm in coco just now and it's beyond funny, 

watching them all climbing up the plants stems and lollipop sticky traps each day when watering. 

I've lost count of how many of the little buggers that I've squished against the wall of the Bloom-room. 

The nematodes didn't seem to have any impact at all,

I only started with the tanlin a few days ago :v:

New app idea "Gnat splatt" 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

@Shumroom please keep me posted on how it goes for you with the Tanlin.  I am sorry you have an infestation too. Horrible little things aren't they?  

• Like 2

I will do:yep:

At least on the scale of things they're at/near the bottom. 

Gimme gnats over thrips or borg(spidermite) any day. 

Atb 

:smokin:

• Like 4

Hi, As well as hanging sticky traps up i also like to cover the pots with them to catch the flies on their way out. If you rest a piece of garden mesh over the pot they can be rested on top with both sticky sides peeled and they are easily removed and replaced at watering time.

Tanlin is great stuff and works 100% but it does take a little time to work when there is a severe  infestation. I now use it as a preventative from the start of every grow.large.20180110_080821.jpg

• Like 6

@Alys tanlin is garbage.  Best bet is covering the topsoil with mulch, tights or better yet diatomaceous earth and spraying with harkas a couple of times in late veg.  Either that or load up with predators. 

Thank you booth for your replies @Nuttyprof  and @fatboy77  I note you eachhave opposing views on the Tanlin!

I have googled Harkers but can only find stuff for curing pigeons of various ailments - any more info on this please @fatboy77?

The Diatomaceous Earth is easy to get in the pet store I note,  Plenty of free sand on the beach here too lol

• Like 1

Aye, pidgeon spot on treatment is the stuff, mectin. I use at 1.5ml per litre and spray twice before flowering. 

Sand might work, but it's the silica in diatomaceous earth that helps fuck them up. 

Good luck. 

All the best with the infestation battle :taz:

Search regarding cinnamon,natural fungicide it destroys the food for the young'uns I seem to remember.

I used sticky traps and also filled the drip tray with an inch of water with plenty of cinnamon in and let sit for half an hour,also covered the top with a good layer.

I hope this helps.

:smokin:

• Like 1

Traps and predators for the win mate, hope there the worst you get I’ve had thrips an now root aphids this year already but still sticking with NO chemicals to keep the bud clean :yep:

• Like 4

Save yourself all the ball ache and get some nematodes ( Steinernema ) from either dragonfli or fleabay water in then keep the top moist ( not wet ) for 7-10 days and then you will be gnat free. 

To echo others I've never had success treating with tanlin but the nematodes wipe them out 100% of the time. 

• Like 5

I used Tanlin neem oil and traps, mostly have them under control the tanlin works but its takes awhile as the we larve need to ingest it, and well I still have them.

3 weeks into flower now, but them seem not to bad but since I switch to flower I stopped giving them anything apart from traps, I dont have to many flying about when i open tent.

• Like 3

*UPDATE*

I have drenched the plants in the Tanlin solution. I put a plant in a bucket and poured 8 litres of solution through the plant and let it stand in the bucket for an hour, whilst the foliage was covered up securely with a black bag.

I then drained the plant into an old washing-up bowl for 15 minutes (still bagged). Then I removed the bag and gave the foliage a good shake and sprayed the bottom couple of inches of the stem with fly spray. I quickly added around 3 - 4 cm of “play sand” on top of the compost and pressed it down firmly and applied a pair of tights across the full surface of each plant, ensuring no gaps, no holes or ladders!

The first one has been back in the tent about an hour now and no gnats on the sticky. The second one went back in about 30 minutes ago and no sign of any more gnats yet.

I will drench them in Tanlin every 3 days for a total of 7 times. This will take 18 days from now. I hope I defeat them then I can switch into flowering.

Nothing on the sticky at all - so no live ones.  Now if I can defeat the unhatched ones I will be delighted.  I will update on here whether it works or not as it will at some point be useful to another grower.

• Like 5

That's been about almost 2 weeks now since I started using the Tanlin. 

Approx 1drop per 2l water, 

maybe just a tiny little bit more :)

Every couple/3 of days. 

The number of active adults seems to have dropped considerably :D

I've ordered some nematodes from a different supplier this time to see if I can get rid of em completely. 

My main problem is that my nursery/veg Drobe is in the same room as The Bloom-room. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 5