Fungus Gnats - my proposed plan. Will it work?

Alys

My Fungus Gnats Haiku

Vacuum out all the top soil.

Vacuum out the tent.

Sticky traps, more! Sticky traps.

• Like 6

Just been in the veg tent to administer Dose No. 5 of the Tanlin.

The Dos Si Do is almost dead, she just isn’t taking up the water so I guess the Gnats originated with her and have wrecked her root system. She has been removed, chopped and double bagged for a bin a long way from home!

The White Widow is OK.

There are no gnats on the sticky’s and definitely nothing flying about. I have swapped to a larger tent now 60 x 60 x 140 for the WW, early tomorrow I will give her a good trim, LST and maybe a quick topping. In around 10 days I am switching her to flowering. I will continue to add Tanlin to the water for at least another 2 weeks.

I think I’ve conquered the gnats in the taller flowering tent now (60 x 60 x 170) and the Dos Si Do is looking sweet. I’ll count the flies on the sticky 12 - 16 I guess and then see if the number increases. If it does I’ll get the nematodes in.

It’s too hot for all this work guys!

@Shumroom @Dan t @Keye

• Like 4

Shame about the Dos si do. 

My gnats got worse over a couple of days. I vacume up as many as possible and took the top layer of soil away. 

Yesterday when I opened the tents it seemed like a lot less flying about and a good amount dead on the floor

New stickies going in in today to monitor numbers. 

I didn't get sand or tights in yet either. 

• Like 2

@Alys dam im sorry to have read this.. what a fuker that is :wallbash: its the larvae that do the damage with these fuking things so I'd say your bang on with why she never made it..

• Like 1

@Revive I might have beaten the blighters. Nothing flying about, nothing in the stickies and they have had 5 doses of Tanlin now and I put some in every watering as continued prevention.  Fingers crossed!  

• Like 2

Hi @Alys. The nematode treatment has pretty much wiped them out. only saw a few last check.  still didn't get play sand or tights.  If I did I think they would all be gone.  

I'm more than happy with the results. A tiny bit more effort from me and the jobs a gooden. 

• Like 2

@Dan t that sounds like you are almost over the little blighters!! I am hoping mine are finished too…and if that is the case then we will be able to say both methods work.  I just don’t want to tempt fate just yet as I’ve just hit Day 44 of flowering of the Dos Si Do so that should be harvested in 4-ish weeks. I’m going to flip my remaining plant this week, just need to swap my light over from a cheap white light to the blurple from the first grow and then eventually I can use the Voost for the last 6 weeks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alys said:

@Revive I might have beaten the blighters. Nothing flying about, nothing in the stickies and they have had 5 doses of Tanlin now and I put some in every watering as continued prevention.  Fingers crossed!  

Very pleased to hear this Alys :v:

• Like 2

Hi @Alys. The nematode treatment has pretty much wiped them out. only saw a few last check.  still didn't get play sand or tights.  If I did I think they would all be gone.  

I'm more than happy with the results. A tiny bit more effort from me and the jobs a gooden. 

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to delete it. 

Yep. Deffinatly sorts them out @Alys. Now I can put the vax away for a while lol. Vacuuming them up in both tents before I did anything else was turning in to a bit of a chore.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/07/2021 at 6:51 PM, Wooden Monkey said:

Traps and predators for the win mate, hope there the worst you get I’ve had thrips an now root aphids this year already but still sticking with NO chemicals to keep the bud clean :yep:

Hiya, you mind me asking how you're tackling the root aphids biologically? I've been unable to find anything available in the UK?

Cheers WM!

If by root aphids you mean fungus gnats aka Sciaridae then just Google sciaridae predators, I get mine off eBay as mentioned earlier in the post. 

@FlowwolF 

1. Buy a lot of different types of aphid eating barstards from “dragonfli” or one of the others 

2. Get the saucer from your pot and put half an inch of straw in it

3. sprinkle aphid eating barstards over straw and place pot back on top

4. water sparingly but regularly from then on so you don’t flood the saucer

and sit back laughing like a killer :pimp:

• Like 1