Fungus Gnats - my proposed plan. Will it work?

Alys

@Shumroom @Dan t they are a damn nuisance these fungus gnats! However the little tent had dose No. 2 yesterday and there are no flying gnats and the sticky remains clean of bodies! I have my schedule of 3 day dosing up on the fridge so there is no way I’ll miss a day.

Meanwhile I found 1 dead one stuck on the sticky in my new flowering tent this morning. However I had dosed the plant yesterday (and today) as a prevention. The tent has only been up 6 days - yes in same room as the vegging tent and I have been super careful. Maybe the blighter got in on my sleeve?  Anyway I am sticking to my planned schedule.  Every watering in the flower tent will include Tanlin as routine.

I will admit that I am a bit girly and squeamish about nematodes, however if my current regime fails I will be left with no other choice.

I’ll update again and tag you both in. Hopefully the three of us will have gnat-free plants by the end of July :yep:

• Like 5

Steinernema feltiae (nematodes) FTW treated my soil once, and because I re use it never had to since, and never seen another gnat either.

Oh yeah neem cake in you soil mix too. 

Search Fungus gnat sciarid predators 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

Hope so @Alys. I'm going for nematodes. Sticky traps. play sand and tights over the top.

I've been thinking about last year and

I went almost the whole of it with hardly any pests. I don't know if it was just coincidence but I was putting spiders in when ever I found them.  

• Like 3

@Dan t I got the sand at Argos  15 Kg for £5.
Let me know where you get the Nematodes  please in case I need them too ( ugh shuddddder!!)

• Like 1

Just now, Alys said:

Let me know where you get the Nematodes  please in case I need them too ( ugh shuddddder!!)

The bay

Listing title

MightyNem Sciarid Fly Killer Kit - Nematodes and Traps Treats 10 sqm - Andermatt

I used it to treat my ganja soil and all the houseplants as well, worked a treat. They can lie dormant for a long time as well so will return to save the day as and when. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

@Alys you sound like your getting it under control with your strict regime.. hopefully you won't have to turn to the nematodes.. lol but don't worry about them there safe and you can even see them..good luck dudette :yep:

• Like 4

Just now, Alys said:

Bargain. I'm going to search about a bit tonight and I'll let ya know.

• Like 1

Nematodes really work, the actual gnat is the harmless stage of their lifecycle, it's the larvae that eat the fine hairs on the roots, reducing the amount of nutrients available. My infections stopped when I started using coco, and always had a sneaking suspicion the compost was the source... lol  Although I've heard coco growers still get them. The adults could never fit through my intake filter now, and the tent passive vents are closed completely. Gnats are little fuckers though.. 

• Like 1

@Dan t much appreciated mate, I hope it solves the issue quickly. Tag me in any updates please.

@Slippy One yeah they seem really mean critters! My vents are closed and as ever I have a stocking over the intake duct.  I got these from putting my plants outside for a few hours on a lovely warm sunny day after I had potted them up - never again!  I only buy compost in small bags (I can’t easily lift more than 10Kg being a small female) and I only buy it when it’s stored inside. I have read here somewhere of growers microwaving the compost before use! 
Hopefully my continued dousing of the plants will kill off the larvae - Dose No. 3 tomorrow. Nothing flying about again today, so as time goes on I’ll know if I have succeeded or not. Otherwise I will be taking the same road as @Dan t recommended by @MindSoup and putting those microscopic wriggly things in there (uuuugggghhh!)  Truly shuddering at the thought of it……..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alys said:

and putting those microscopic wriggly things in there (uuuugggghhh!)  Truly shuddering at the thought of it……..

There's microscopic wriggly things all over just about everything lol. Its basically a white powder you dilute and water in, so just pretend it's fertiliser.

• Like 3

@MindSoup that does help a bit thank you! I’m just being girly. I don’t mind spiders, mice etc but little wriggly things no I don’t do those. 

• Like 2

Nematodes are in and traps are set @Alys.  Sand and tights will be got and put in at the weekend. It's just powder you mix with water, the actual things are microscopic.   I'll keep you up to date. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much @Dan t fingers crossed the veg tent is showing no signs at all. However my less than a fortnight old flowering tent has 7 of the buggers on the sticky today. I’m putting  Tanlin in every daily watering.

Lots of you guys have been very kind explaining about the nematodes, I can cope with them now if needs be. My fears all allayed (wriggly things!)

• Like 2

Fingers crossed mate.  Glad I got them in when I did. I vacumed up loads today in my vedge tent.  

I think I'm also going to give everything a preventative spray once in a while, just in case. Got some cannacure. Hopefully that should keep anything else that tries to invade under control. 

• Like 2