Fungus Gnats - my proposed plan. Will it work?

Alys

14 hours ago, Owderb said:

Get a few glasses and put some apple cider vinegar in them and add a few drops of fairy liquid in each then place them around your grow area especially where you see the most gnats

Owd

@Owderb are they attracted to the acv? - wondering why they would go to it and does it have to be acv or will any vinegar do?

@RUFUS HOUND I think it has to be Apple Cider Vinegar my mum uses it on the windowsill at her gaffe, not sure why as she doesn't get gnats but maybe that's because of her persistence with these things!

• Like 1

@RUFUS HOUND

Yes you can use normal vinegar but mix a couple of teaspoons of sugar in with it. 

You can also use red wine too

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 6

And dont forget that its not usually our fault that we get these pests but the fault of whoever stores it. It doesn't matter whether its coco or any compost. If it hasn't been stored correctly then pests will usually get in

Owd

• Like 4

@Owderb @Exhale - thanks guys - knocking up my mixture now to go in tent at lights on - also getting some peroxide a suggested earlier.

I have maybe one or two most days - so hopefully I can finish them off before they get a foothold.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing I’ve used for fungus gnats is a product called microbial.

im in coco DTW and when the pots are getting watered two to three times a day it’s a breeding ground for gnats - as soon as I used mirobial there were gone with two days - it also rids algal blooms so my res stays clear with no nasties floating around - BB

• Like 1

Thanks @Bud Baker this is great to know and will I am sure help others growing in the same way you are.  They are bloody horrible things and breed faster and more prolifically than rabbits!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, twigs said:

ever tried Nematodes? :stoned:  

Ever tried reading an article before you comment on it lol. Sorry I'm in a smart arsey mood. 

• Like 4

About two weeks ago I bought a bag of coco and potted some clones up. Within days I had fliers everywhere so it was obviously the bag of coco that bought them in. I went to see my buddy who runs the shop I get all my gear from to warn him about that batch of coco. He gave me a bottle of Tanlin drops to try. What I had done to start with was cut the yellow stickies in half and then only peel one side of the sticky and lay them across the pot (sticky side up) and they caught no end in the first day. I then mixed my nutrient up adding 1 drop per 2ltrs and watered to saturation. I then did the same 3 days later and added more stickies. In the following 2 days the number of flies on the new stickies were down 90% so I reckon with another drench in another day or so I should have virtually gotten rid 

Owd

• Like 5

I used tanlin on my last grow, it’s good stuff as long as you persist with it and compliment with sticky traps.

@Owderb do you keep yours in the fridge?

• Like 1

Tried tanlin, not bad and does the Job but you have to be consistent. In The ten years I’ve grown nothing has worked better than microbial - just sayin 

Edited by Bud Baker
  • Like 2