Late to the Party - First GG

Tomateo.grower

On 06/06/2021 at 7:58 AM, OldFord said:

Glad to see you ditched the tent , they are awesome until you get to flowering stage then its way too big a gamble.   

Haha yeah just gonna use it for veg this year!

And that's a great sounding selection. Will have to find your diary for it.

On 06/06/2021 at 11:49 AM, panik said:

Good luck mate , nice strain choices .. :yep: 

Cheers. And thanks. Hope they do me well.

So quick update. 100% germ rate. All had tails but forgot to get a pick.

But here they are for now.

large.jugs_1.jpg

Few popping there head out soil today so wait and see, once they are all above ground they will be going to live on the window ledge.

• Like 7

Quick update as not much happening really.

large_jnvg.jpg

Here they are., 4 days old, leaning to the side to get the sun for Window sill.been trying to water as little as possible and only when medium feels all driyed out. Seem a little leggy but using good old mother nature for my light.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

So not been on for few weeks. Been crazy busy with life and preping the plot.

But first off here's the baby's from about a week ago.

large.hddddd_1_1.jpg

Still all alive and doing well.

A lot bigger now, and need to be out I'm thinking the next week.

So because of that I'm ditching one plot, and just sticking with one. I'm sure you will all be thinking it's a bad idea, but I'd rather get them out while I can, before they get to big, and I'm behind on one so I'll be more organized for next year. 

So 15 will be going in here now. Was pure brambles, took ages cut back, but got there in the end!

Anyway I'll update some more when I got some time. But fingers crossed this time next week they will all be out in nature!

• Like 5

So quick few questions if any of you experienced gorillas can help.

I've planned one more trip to the plot before plant out, so come that day I can be in and out, and I wanna make sure it's just right so I don't have to hang around.

I'll include a pic for last time I visited.

How much spacing would you think for each plant? I'm gonna dig the holes ready so I can space them out best I can. Obviously I'm gonna need expand the plot, was only gonna be for 6-9, I'm thinking 1.5 meters between each plant? 3 rows of 6, or 6 rows of 3 depending what the grounds like and if ot works out like that. And put the earlier flowering plants in the middle row/s?

And should I have a boarder around the plot with nothing there for air flow and ease of access? 

Cages are cut, and slug collars are made, should I make these and place them before I go? As I'm thinking it's gonna be fiddly to get plant into them. Or is there a great method I'm unaware of?

What do you do with all the debris from clearing an area? Just plonk it in a corner? Or move it away?

Anyway I'm sure I'll have more questions haha. But any advice would be great.

Anyway here was what the plot looked like when first got there, this spot had these other things growing among the bramble and were easier to remove

large_lkkk.jpglarge.polllllj.jpg

and some more of the last time I was there. 

large.haaaaddff_1.jpglarge.qgaad_1.jpg

All the debris has been piled to one side.

Hopefully the Coco will have expanded too next time I'm there.readynto mix in with the FBB that's there ready.

• Like 4

So quick update.

Circumstances changed. Gotta do it in one visit now! All packed up, and just had my wetabix. Fingers crossed, gonna have just brass balls it now!

• Like 5

Looking interesting - Going to be following.

Doing a first time garden grow myself - Interested in more of your squeaky bum moments from last year...

Thinking of goiung guerilla next year possibly

Good Guerilla Luck to ya :yep:

• Like 1

I'm fucked! I dunno how you guys do it haha. I guess experience helps!

So the short story is they are all in ground now! Thanks the lord. Honestly don't know how I managed it. But it's done. Was going like mad man! 

• Like 4

So time for bit more detail.

I wanted to make 2 trips, one to finish cutting back, dig holes, back fill and fees, cages up and clean down, then just to head up with the babies. But that got shelved, and window of opportunity was closing fast.

So with 2 back packs full the the brim. One on back and one on my front, just about able to see, oh yeah and one of them massive old washing bags ya nan used to have to take ya washing the launderette with precious cargo in!

Praying on the drive down there would be no one at the car park, the gods must have heard my prayers, the rain was blown away, and not a soul to be seen. I quickly got my bags out and on, and big bag on my arm and slowly started the long walk and trying to stay in a straight line and to keep the bag steady as to not break any stems or damage them.

Sweating buckets and trying to not have a break as I wanted to get to site as quick as possible I marched on till I got to a clearing onto some farmers fields. I'd heard a tractor going around somewhere, but sound was getting nearer and nearer. So I jumped down into a ditch next to me. Sure enough tractor turns up, crouch down much as I could, and drives right past. I'm soaked now but I'm safe, and it was a lot harder to get out than was to get in. I let a few mins pass, clambered out, and head back on my way.

So I make it to where I have to go through a lot of over growth, climbing fell tress etc and wading through nettles. Luckily the trails I've left before are not that visible, but might well be a bit more now. I don't know if it was just the fact I was trying be stealthy but it was really creepy that day. Birds flapping put of no where, like a good jump scare movie crossed with Blair witch project, but I finally made it to the entrance to the plot. 

No time to stop just incase someone was about, though I doubt anyone comes here, I crawl thought taking one bag at a time as it's a tight space. I'm safe. Well unless a drone turns up lol!

I sit down. Have a can of pop and choccy bar, and catch my breath. I've not even started yet!

• Like 4

So a note to self.

Don't leave it so late.

Don't leave the prep so late.

Leave some tools here next time. Theres enough to carry!

So the plot needed extending to accommodate all the plants, so that's were I started. After about an hour or so of chopping back the old and new brambles, and pulling out these plants, fire something I think, which came out easily luckily, and moving them all to one big pile at the side, I had a better size plot with space around the sides for air flow hopefully. And pulled out any bramble roots from below the surface.

I threw a stick down for a rough idea where I wanted the holes to go, and having a look maybe needed a foot more either end, but was still loads to do and I didn't wanna be here for too long so thought I can do it at end if I have time, I didn't. 

Got digging and first row wasn't to bad. This is where I checked the soil. The second row was realllllly clay based. I should have checked it over more. But I'm here now so they are going in. Finished the wholes and I mixed Coco some perlite, vermiculite, compost and native soil, put some ffb in the bottom, no idea how much they need, but shared it out equally between the 15 holes, was a kg box. Back filled the holes and had a break. 

So time was passing by a lot faster than it should have, or it was taking me longer than I expected, probably the latter. And wasn't too long till the England game so had to crack on.

pre cut cages got a cane down the two edges weaved in and out the holes to keep them steady  and they were put about 10 cm deep under the soil for stability and incase anything tries digging.

Luckily I'd taken a spare empty pot to prime the hole for the plants. So when I was back filling I put the pot in so the plants would fit in perfectly. So threw some mycol power into the small hole, got the plants out (tho I think I should have watered them first - they were on the dry side and bit crumblely) in the hole, beer can with copper tape gently over the top on pushed into the soil.

And boom. I was done!!!

Well apart from cleaning up, packing all rubbish away to take home. Left some tools incase I need them. Oh and gave them all a litre of fresh water.

Was buzzing on they walk back to the car. Quick check for the time, England game starting in half an hour. Luckily didn't see anyone on the walk back. Packed car, pulled off, and give a little fist pump to myself.

So here is the only pic I took. Was going like a mad man to get done and only remembered just as was about to leave.

large.aaaaaqqqq.jpg

Anyway that's it for now. Only thing I didn't do was take any slug pellets. Fingers crossed I'm ok!

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Tomateo.grower said:

I'm fucked! I dunno how you guys do it haha. I guess experience helps!

So the short story is they are all in ground now! Thanks the lord. Honestly don't know how I managed it. But it's done. Was going like mad man! 

lol welcome to gging dude.. its a propper bit of graft thats for sure  mate but if using the same plot season after season it does get easier.. it can all get a bit manic when there is so much to do and the clock is ticking.. button can breath now mate..you got it done :yep:

Good job bud:yinyang:

• Like 1

On 07/07/2021 at 11:06 AM, MJMan said:

Interested in more of your squeaky bum moments from last year....

Cheers pal. Hope yours is going well.

Last year was meant to be a gg, but to had change last min. Hence into the garden.

You will learn a lot and get attached, bit as for squeaky bum moments, well my garden ain't big, low fences, and when ppl come round, impromptu party's, kids playing near by, and of course the smell, you might start thinking why did I do this?!?

On 08/07/2021 at 11:33 PM, Revive said:

lol welcome to gging dude.. its a propper bit of graft thats for sure  mate but if using the same plot season after season it does get easier.. it can all get a bit manic when there is so much to do and the clock is ticking.. button can breath now mate..you got it done :yep:

Good job bud:yinyang:

Cheers mate, I'm defo gonna try and be more organized next year. And .uat remember to take the slug pellets next time! My first true GG, there's gonna be mistakes and fuck ups, but let's see what can be done from a late germ and late plant out. If all goes to plan I'll be sorted for a year and be 100% self sufficient. And to be fair the graft I've put in ain't anywhere near some people on here. So big up to all of you, no only for the inspiration for me to get the balls to do it, but also documenting it to help us others out, and helping us with any queries too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomateo.grower said:

Last year was meant to be a gg, but to had change last min. Hence into the garden.

You will learn a lot and get attached, bit as for squeaky bum moments, well my garden ain't big, low fences, and when ppl come round, impromptu party's, kids playing near by, and of course the smell, you might start thinking why did I do this?!?

Cheers mate, I'm defo gonna try and be more organized next year. And .uat remember to take the slug pellets next time! My first true GG, there's gonna be mistakes and fuck ups, but let's see what can be done from a late germ and late plant out. If all goes to plan I'll be sorted for a year and be 100% self sufficient. And to be fair the graft I've put in ain't anywhere near some people on here. So big up to all of you, no only for the inspiration for me to get the balls to do it, but also documenting it to help us others out, and helping us with any queries too!

Dude its all a learning curve tbh..as you say first bite of the cherry and all that..if you can get a year of self sufficiency then perfect..if you even only get enough to last 6 months then that's not to terrible either mush.. bringing some bud home is the plan, how much depends on many factors.. I mean look at me for instance had 12 out last year..10 was fuking beasts and fed me well still got few jars of it here.. this season 27 went out and ill be lucky if get anywhere near last season due to whats gone on.. and many more hurdles to go still.. so many factors play apart in this game so our own but most are down to mother nature.. sharing our efforts and storys is what makes this such an awesome place to hang out.. we are all learning everyday so need to help one another as best we can.. I like to think of us as 1 big happy or not so happy family depending on how things are rolling but point being we are all together on this quest to grow our favourite herb, ditch the dealer and be 100% self sufficient... lets see how we get on bro, we can just do our best and cross our fuking fingers the rest really is out of our hands..

Good luck @Tomateo.grower and be lucky :yep:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tomateo.grower said:

How many did you have? And were they in open-air or in a greenhouse :shock:

Cheers @revive, and for sure hope I'm lucky. All eggs in one basket!

@mjman was just 2 NL autos. In garden in cheap pe greenhouse. No LST so got tall.

large.nugfvd.jpglarge.bhasdfg.jpg

We're looking good till rot got in.

large.IMGhhh.jpglarge_jfby.jpg

So be careful of that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Revive said:

Dude its all a learning curve tbh..as you say first bite of the cherry and all that..if you can get a year of self sufficiency then perfect..if you even only get enough to last 6 months then that's not to terrible either mush.. bringing some bud home is the plan, how much depends on many factors.. I mean look at me for instance had 12 out last year..10 was fuking beasts and fed me well still got few jars of it here.. this season 27 went out and ill be lucky if get anywhere near last season due to whats gone on.. and many more hurdles to go still.. so many factors play apart in this game so our own but most are down to mother nature.. sharing our efforts and storys is what makes this such an awesome place to hang out.. we are all learning everyday so need to help one another as best we can.. I like to think of us as 1 big happy or not so happy family depending on how things are rolling but point being we are all together on this quest to grow our favourite herb, ditch the dealer and be 100% self sufficient... lets see how we get on bro, we can just do our best and cross our fuking fingers the rest really is out of our hands..

Good luck @Tomateo.grower and be lucky :yep:

Here here well said revive ! i love having all you breddahs about to banter with.