Tommy tucker

52 minutes ago, Tommy tucker said:

I no , what a cunt .This was the plot that got compromised last year by a drone. It was 50 /50 that i could try again. But that's the final nail in the coffin. At least i got two decent crops from over the years 

I'd say that's a sign your time is up there bud.. 2 seasons on the trot, but that 1 is fuking mad..do you think someone is living in there? I mean why fuking else would it be slung there. They say expect the unexpected lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Revive said:

I'd say that's a sign your time is up there bud.. 2 seasons on the trot, but that 1 is fuking mad..do you think someone is living in there? I mean why fuking else would it be slung there. They say expect the unexpected lol

Yeah this shit happens, you just got to be able to react quickly to it . That's why multiple prepped plots are a life saver because it save you loads of trouble in the long run . I have no idea. I don't think so by the looks of it .

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy tucker said:

Yeah this shit happens, you just got to be able to react quickly to it . That's why multiple prepped plots are a life saver because it save you loads of trouble in the long run . I have no idea. I don't think so by the looks of it .

Wise words dude... odd that its there really if not being used i mean it looks pretty decent.. by 1 of my plots bout 20 yrds id say there is a man made camp type thing, its been there yrs as i used to walk my dog around there way before I started growing there.  Made out of black netting so I expect someone set it up to watch wildlife or something.. strange really as its in a pretty built up area.. its not being used now full of leaves and fallen branches.. crazy what some folk get up to aint it..

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 7:07 PM, Revive said:

Wise words dude... odd that its there really if not being used i mean it looks pretty decent.. by 1 of my plots bout 20 yrds id say there is a man made camp type thing, its been there yrs as i used to walk my dog around there way before I started growing there.  Made out of black netting so I expect someone set it up to watch wildlife or something.. strange really as its in a pretty built up area.. its not being used now full of leaves and fallen branches.. crazy what some folk get up to aint it..

It's this time of year when you see people camping in loads of random places anyway. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tommy tucker said:

...people camping in loads of random places anyway. 

I can attest to that, I myself camp in all sorts of weird and wonderful places, although I do it all year round lol. The perks of a hammock are you don't even need flat ground, just 2 decent trees. 

Loving the educational style of the diary this year Mr Tucker, inspiration for me to try something similar next year maybe, if I feel I have something valuable to offer. 

All the best. 

:yinyang:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HullFeltMashematician said:

I can attest to that, I myself camp in all sorts of weird and wonderful places, although I do it all year round lol. The perks of a hammock are you don't even need flat ground, just 2 decent trees. 

Loving the educational style of the diary this year Mr Tucker, inspiration for me to try something similar next year maybe, if I feel I have something valuable to offer. 

All the best. 

:yinyang:

I've been trying to get myself organised to go wild camping as well.  Perfect time of year for it.

Excellent.  I'm glad you like it. I think at the end I'll try and work out how much it cost. Equipment, seeds, electricity etc. You should see the plots I've got this year.  

• Like 2

Great read so far. And thanks for the plot hunting tips. Nice to see it explained and with pictures. I'd been using earth and maps to hunt but good to see the whole process with images too.

Curious tho as to, if you used that site, how you would access it? Just brass ball it and walk right over, or go at night? Sure farmers if they saw you would be like who fuck that haha.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tomateo.grower said:

Great read so far. And thanks for the plot hunting tips. Nice to see it explained and with pictures. I'd been using earth and maps to hunt but good to see the whole process with images too.

Curious tho as to, if you used that site, how you would access it? Just brass ball it and walk right over, or go at night? Sure farmers if they saw you would be like who fuck that haha.

Good question mate. I'd always visit the site in the evening or at dusk . In order not to leave a obvious looking path through the crops. I'd walk in line with how the corn was planted.  Not against the grain. Does that make sense? But generally early evening visits are a good idea. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tomateo.grower said:

Once you get familiar with this approach you should be able to suss out a decent plot quite quickly. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tommy tucker said:

Good question mate. I'd always visit the site in the evening or at dusk . In order not to leave a obvious looking path through the crops. I'd walk in line with how the corn was planted.  Not against the grain. Does that make sense? But generally early evening visits are a good idea. 

Makes perfect sense, best to leave as little trace as possible. 

When o visit mine in planning to go early or late if possible. There not thru a massive field mine so it shouldn't be a problem.

37 minutes ago, Tommy tucker said:

Once you get familiar with this approach you should be able to suss out a decent plot quite quickly. 

Thanks. I'm getting better at it than last year that's for sure! Space is very limited by me, either housing, farmland, or pastureland, so finding an unused spot or one that's overgrown has been difficult.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomateo.grower said:

Makes perfect sense, best to leave as little trace as possible. 

When o visit mine in planning to go early or late if possible. There not thru a massive field mine so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. I'm getting better at it than last year that's for sure! Space is very limited by me, either housing, farmland, or pastureland, so finding an unused spot or one that's overgrown has been difficult.

Tell me about it dude.  This island is getting smaller and smaller. 

Edited by Tommy tucker
  • Like 2

Germination part 2 - the results

After 3 days in the propagator - the seeds are ready to transplant to soil 

• Lemon OG = 60 % success 
  • Easy Sativa +Skunk no 1 = 100% success
  • Lemon OG + Freeze land regs = ? ( As i didn't count )

large.20210518_171151.jpg

The plan is to keep the seeds under the LED lights for 3 weeks - and then plant out at a suitable time. With that I can set up my grow space ready to receive the seeds.

large.20210607_102106.jpg

My indoor grow space is a small non ventilated cupboard that consists of  

• 2 × 25 W LED lights (18 hours per day)
  • 2 x batches of root trainers (32 slots) full of jack magic soil 
  • Time switch and 4 plug extension cable
  • Base of heated propagator - not plugged into time switch 
  • Warm tap water

I''ll be using the following grow mediums this season

• Root trainers
  • Peet pots 
  • Straight into the soil

Before I add the seeds I fill each row with soil and tap the plastic case so the soil gets evenly spread. Then I give each slot a quick water and add a plastic lid back on the propagator and leave overnight until the next day ready to sow the seeds to a moist warmish soil. This ensures that seeds start in the best conditions possible. I soe the seeds into a small hole 1cm deep

large.20210516_160743.jpglarge.20210518_172826.jpg

This year I have loads of reg s2 seeds. I can go a bit harder with the amount of seeds I can germinate. I always use a heated plastic receptacle from the heated propagator. The heated container runs 24/7 and helps keep the soil warm and moist. Root trainers are a new bit of kit for me this year . These are perfect for the space as you can fit 32 seedlings per side of the container so 64 in total ( rows of 4 ) 

For soil i use jack's magic. This substrate is a safe bet so I'll use this for all the root trainers and peat pots. Again, I bought a few Peet pot's from ebay. I couldn't get the large one's so I settled for the small ones. 

Sowing seeds straight into soil at the plot is a bit of a risky approach, but is fun .  Generally all the weaker seeds germinate then die and tougher ones make it through to the next stage.  Thus weeding out the runty candidates. I'm expecting a 50 % female to male distribution and a 50 % of seeds will make it to the next stage. I can germinate loads more to make up for the ones that don't make it.large.20210513_172244.jpg

Once the seeds are in the soil. At this point it's a case of just feeding them water every few days with a mist spray bottle while allowing the time switch to turn the lights on and off in the morning and evening. I decided not to use a fan or thermometer this year just to keep it simple and avoid more cables in the grow space.

Week 2 progress

large.20210601_161538.jpglarge.20210601_161550.jpg

Week 3 progress(just before plant out)

large.20210606_192051.jpg

So I was crunching some numbers and I think it will cost about £354 on electricity running 2 *25 W LED lights for 18 per day, 7 days per week for 3 weeks. Add the cost of running a 8 watt heated propagator on top of that for 24 hours per day 

What do you guys think ? I could be wrong as this is a rough estimate and my maths was never any good. Answers on postcard please lol 

• Like 4

The average cost of electricity is 15p per kw per hour, that’s a 1000w per hour

50w x 18 hours = 900 x 7 = 6300 x 3 = 18900 x 0.15 = 28350 , 28350/100 = £28.35

so should be about £28 if I done it right 

my bill was never in the hundreds when I was growing indoors full time.  

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, crazy-sheep said:

The average cost of electricity is 15p per kw per hour, that’s a 1000w per hour

50w x 18 hours = 900 x 7 = 6300 x 3 = 18900 x 0.15 = 28350 , 28350/100 = £28.35

so should be about £28 if I done it right 

my bill was never in the hundreds when I was growing indoors full time.  

Pahahhahaa. Fuck my maths is bad. Thanks guys 

• Like 2