Tommy tucker

Right then guerrillas

I’m back once again with my seasonal grow diary for all you green fingered outlaws. I hadn't planned on doing a diary this year ,  but I thought it would be fun to share the journey with everyone.

For all the people who no me . I said goodbye to my dad at Christmas, he passed away from throat cancer. Last year I used various outdoor projects to distract me from watching my fathers impending death. I miss the old boat so much and it's been a tough few months adjusting to life with out him. I haven't quite felt the same since he passed away.

Anyway ,  Enough of the that !

It looks like the forum has gained lots of new and enthusiastic guerrillas so hopefully this season will be a fruitful one for us all. Lots of new faces and few old ones are still here chugging away in the background. This May has been wet and abit cold, but have faith . This year I’m going to try a new approach. Instead of going balls deep into the diary. I'm going to attempt a more systematic explanation of the whole project lifecycle and explain some techniques I use to deliver a successful harvest year on a budget. 

Here’s a breakdown of how I’m going to do the diary this year

• Introduction 
  • Useful rules I've leant the hard way 
  • Last years work
  • Seed selection
  • Approach plan 
  • Equipment and Money saving techniques
  • Plot hunting techniques (do’s and don’ts)
  • Germination
  • This years grow sites
  • Plant out 
  • Maintenance 
  • Prepare for harvest and harvesting
  • Drying and curing - Hash Making
  • Smoke report
  • Sign off

I'll be back next week . Have a great weekend and wish everyone all the best for this season. 

Edited by Joolz
  • Like 19

On 21/05/2021 at 2:53 PM, Tommy tucker said:

Right then guerrillas

I’m back once again with my seasonal grow diary for all you green fingered outlaws. I hadn't planned on doing a diary this year ,  but I thought it would be fun to share the journey with everyone.

For all the people who no me . I said goodbye to my dad at Christmas, he passed away from throat cancer. Last year I used various outdoor projects to distract me from watching my fathers impending death. I miss the old boat so much and it's been a tough few months adjusting to life with out him. I haven't quite felt the same since he passed away.

Anyway ,  Enough of the that !

It looks like the forum has gained lots of new and enthusiastic guerrillas so hopefully this season will be a fruitful one for us all. Lots of new faces and few old ones are still here chugging away in the background. This May has been wet and abit cold, but have faith . This year I’m going to try a new approach. Instead of going balls deep into the diary. I'm going to attempt a more systematic explanation of the whole project lifecycle and explain some techniques I use to deliver a successful harvest year on a budget. 

Here’s a breakdown of how I’m going to do the diary this year

• Introduction 
  • Useful rules I've leant the hard way 
  • Last years work
  • Seed selection
  • Approach plan 
  • Equipment and Money saving techniques
  • Plot hunting techniques (do’s and don’ts)
  • Germination 
  • Plant out 
  • Maintenance 
  • Prepare for harvest and harvesting
  • Drying and curing - Hash Making
  • Smoke report
  • Sign off

I'll be back next week . Have a great weekend and wish everyone all the best for this season. 

Hi mate reading that i knee u came back from portugal and that really really sorry mate without making you feel worse about it never met u mate but me u ocb and that sheep have been here sinve the first year i started so i feel like i got to no a snippet of you so thats why i feel i want to say that mate.

Mate good to see you back if only to check in and say hello with the gang.

Speak again good man.

Much love 

Big hugz from me bro.

On 22/05/2021 at 8:30 PM, B-real said:

Hi mate reading that i knee u came back from portugal and that really really sorry mate without making you feel worse about it never met u mate but me u ocb and that sheep have been here sinve the first year i started so i feel like i got to no a snippet of you so thats why i feel i want to say that mate.

Mate good to see you back if only to check in and say hello with the gang.

Speak again good man.

Much love 

Big hugz from me bro.

Thanks dude , I  really appreciate that.

Before I start the diary properly - I decided to make some notes on some lessons I've learnt the hard way. If you're new to the game. Have a read through this list of suggestions. This might help you from making the wrong decision.

1. Loose lips sink ships - Tell nobody about your project or your plans for a project. This includes your mates , mate mates or bloke down the pub. Remember that people who don’t grow weed - They do not understand the need for secrecy. Therefore they can spill the beans without a second thought.
  2. Jealousy from others - When it comes to drugs , women or men and money people are cunts. 
  3. Never underestimate anyone. Some people can be sneaky and spiteful but by keeping your mouth shut can save you so much hassle in the long run. Even if you tell your mate and he promises you that he’ll keep his mouth shut - if he doesn’t grow weed he’ll never understand - and all it takes is one little mistake from him to tell someone else
  4. Lone wolf or with a partner Outdoor growing if pure graft. If you decide to work with a friend you need to share the equipment expenditures, work, harvest equally. As soon as someone gets the hump because they aren’t getting a decent deal out of it . That “mate” of yours will go back pilfer the crop come harvest time. Just remember if you start a project with someone and they stop attending or making an effort you might have problems come harvest time. Pick your partner wisely and think ahead and be tactical. If you're ever in doubt. Lone wolf is the safest bet. 
  5. Stealth is the key to success. Being able to stay hidden and silent like a ninja will help you move around. Avoid talking, playing music or having a sneaky bifida at the plot as these all attract attention. Entering and leaving a plot can be risky.
  6. Don’t get seen entering or leaving the path to your plot Hold back and listen out for people . Stick your head out and have a peak first . If your seen, pretend to do up your flies or your belt (hopefully the person who sees you will think you’ve just taken a piss in the bushes)
  7. Have an excuse for being in that area , running, walking the dog, picking mushrooms , birdwatching , litter picking, be creative :)
  8. Look the part If you have a good excuse for being in the area. Back that up with some appropriate clothing or items that would make sense to someone who spots you( dog  lead , walking poles , binoculars) If someone stops and asks you what you're doing. Make good eye contact, and engage them and use your excuse & outfit to back you up and follow up with a question (Have you seen my dog ? , Have you seen any mushrooms) Be polite and don’t be sketchy - its not hard for people to pick up on a shifty geezer 
  9. Get familiar with your plot if shit goes down and you need to get out. Having getaway route that takes you to the exit is a good idea
  10. Bad weather can be good weather and take full advantage of rainy days when people don’t want to venture outside. This could be the perfect opportunity to do all the soil / equipment drop offs
  11. Go the extra mile Be prepared to walk further or explore the most hard to reach areas. The effort you put it at the start pays dividends in the long run
  12. YouTube channels , grow diaries, vice videos remind rippers that grows are available to be ripped. If you want to be successful consider avoiding the above
  13. When you find some else's plot - Leave it  and walk away - keep your mouth shut. Be good to your fellow brethren
  14. All ways leave your plot spotless  If you plan to use it again . Stash your equipment in trees or somewhere away from your site. If not . Bring everything home as this is the safest bet.
  15. Make the right move whether it's picking the right plot with the best security or being stuck in shit situation and you need to get out quick - Take a breath and think about the best choice. Panicking and making the wrong move can cost you dear 
  16. When you're in the shit - Hold on and letting the storm blow over can save you from disaster. 

Please feel free to add to this list if you've think I've missed anything.

• Like 12

Last years work

Well, if you haven’t seen it already go and take a look here

large.20200901_184435.jpglarge.20200901_184355.jpglarge.20200817_202537.jpg

What a ball ache it was but I did it by myself and I delivered a decent harvest. If I could pass on any wise words - Don’t grow in a swamp , you can find a better place I assure you .

Edited by Tommy tucker
  • Like 6

Seed selection 

Now for the fun bit , I live in a particularly damp part of the UK which is in the top 20 wettest towns in the UK but that cool. The GG game is all about learning and adapting. I've made many mistakes along the way and I'm sure I'll a few more this season, Ideally I’d like a early flowering mold resistant Series 6 or Essex gold strain that finishes in October but I’m sure I minimise but rott by picking an open space with decent airflow and all day sun.

This year I am trying out Lemon OG , Easy Sativa, and some Lemon OG + Freezeland S2 regs. Anything could happen . Let's see :) I’ll be testing out a selection of different seeds on another forum but this diary is about RGS.

large.20210516_173511.jpglarge.20210516_173703.jpg

large.20210513_172244.jpg

Edited by Tommy tucker
  • Like 4

Good luck this year mate 

:yep:

And some top tips there. All seem common sense. I actually went on a big detour other day to look for some exits it SHTF.

Looking forward to reading this year's antics

• Like 2

Just now, Tomateo.grower said:

Good luck this year mate 

:yep:

And some top tips there. All seem common sense. I actually went on a big detour other day to look for some exits it SHTF.

Looking forward to reading this year's antics

Cheers mate. Good luck with your endeavours this year. The end of 2020 was really tough but I think I'm back on track now. Yeah most of that list is common sense , but its good to have a little recap every now and again. I just want everyone to succeed and bring home a decent crop without any hassle.

• Like 3

Cheers.

And that's what we all want. Get it all home safely. I'm a bit late to the party this year but fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Off season work  and Approach plan

Once I finish a harvest at the end of the previous season , I'll have a month or 2 off from the game while I trim , dry and cure my buds or make hash just in time for Christmas. Once everything is finished and stored, I begin thinking about the plan for the next year. Usually I'll clear up my plots in December, removing all my old equipment and clearing up everything, and add a box of FFB and Chicken shit pellets to the ground to replenish the NPK levels . I'm aware that most shops start selling garden bits around February or March unless its a garden centre and usually costs a bit more - But I always buy double so I have boxes of FBB ready use to when i need them.

This is a plot from last year swamp site after the clear up from hell - I removed 23 large bags of soil , cages , canes etc and bagged them up and moved them to another new grow site 

large.20210214_165054.jpg

Here's another site that i cleared up and added a few bags of fresh manure back at the end of the harvest  

large.20201018_175947.jpglarge.20201018_180006.jpglarge.20201018_180216.jpglarge.20201018_180705.jpg

This is not necessary and I appreciate this could be deemed as pointless but having a clear site stops random people discovering it and recognizing it as a grow site. To add to that, i feel better about myself showing respect to the countryside by not not leaving all the grow shit everywhere. Come January and February , I’ll pop back and turn over the soil with a garden fork.

Sometimes if I have a grow site that is a real ball ache to get to. I break down my equipment and stash it in a bush and cover it with a camouflage sheet. This is your choice at the end of the day.

I find it's really worth having a good think about your project as a whole. I work alone so I like to get organised early. I make a spreadsheet and write down everything like a plan or a Gantt chart( for all you project managers :)

I use the cover of darkness to bring in obvious items like water butts or soil. This is perfect to do in January or February .

That means having a rough idea or a set of strict milestones can be perfect for getting organized early. 

Here’s an example of a approach plan that I roughly use 

• January - Plot hunting / gather equipment
  • February- Plot hunting (set up water supply) 
  • March -Add manure to soil 
  • April- Bring kit on site
  • May-Plot Prep, Germination / plant out 
  • June- Germination / plant out 
  • July-Maintenance 
  • August-Maintenance/Prepare or begin harvesting
  • September- Harvest 
  • October-Harvest
  • November-Harvest if your very lucky or month off 
  • December- Month off

This is a basic outline and not always how it pans out in real life . But you get the idea ? It can save lugging loads of grow kit around at obvious times - thus avoiding detection or your plot being discovered.  

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Tomateo.grower said:

Cheers.

And that's what we all want. Get it all home safely. I'm a bit late to the party this year but fingers crossed!

Your never to late unless its July or August . Are you doing a grow this year ?

• Like 1

Ordering beans tonight, just hard to decide what ones to get. Kid in a candy shop comes to mind. Found a great spot last week was it? But no work done yet. Hard to get into stealthy, and don't wanna leave a trail so will be some graft but up for it.

Thinking might gold, mighty freeze, purple frezze, as these should come in early, says August/Sept on website but cos I'm late hopefully mid sept, and it's in brambles, heard they can cause rot end of season so hopefully that makes sense.

Glad to see your not in the swamp again tho.

And I second that, leave no trace, what I do when wild camping.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tomateo.grower said:

Ordering beans tonight, just hard to decide what ones to get. Kid in a candy shop comes to mind. Found a great spot last week was it? But no work done yet. Hard to get into stealthy, and don't wanna leave a trail so will be some graft but up for it.

Thinking might gold, mighty freeze, purple frezze, as these should come in early, says August/Sept on website but cos I'm late hopefully mid sept, and it's in brambles, heard they can cause rot end of season so hopefully that makes sense.

Glad to see your not in the swamp again tho.

And I second that, leave no trace, what I do when wild camping.

Nice . The seed choices sound good as I've heard good stuff about all of them. Check out my next 2 or 3 sections as I'll go into plot hunting and getting the best from a plot.

• Like 1

Equipment and Money saving techniques

I’m not sure about you but I prefer to spend the bulk of my money on decent feminised seeds and hard wearing outdoor clothes that I can reuse season after season. If you're serious about this game and you can see yourself having a go it's also worth looking at investing in some suitable outdoor clothing. Amazon has everything you need. I suggest getting 

• A decent camo jacket and t-shirt 
  • Waterproof hiking boots
  • Decent gloves
  • Tough / comfortable trousers
  • Hunting face cover

If your not prepared to invest much money on that having a decent get of boots , face cover and gloves will be fine .In the off season I attempt to gather equipment on the cheap or ideally for free. It's mad what people chuck away, especially gardening equipment. I’m out and about all year , rain or shine and often I collect bits of timber / off cuts for my wood burner from local skips. So much stuff goes to waste it's actually sad , I find shovels, garden folks, spades, sheers just left to rust so I grab these.

When i have plot that I’ll reuse the next year  - I’ll stash a Shovel / fork on site 

large.20201101_162950.jpg

Gumtree and free cycle, Facebook are an excellent source of free equipment ,long roles of chicken wire for cages, bamboo canes, pots , soil, large water containers , paddling pools, water tanks, perlite , buckets etc .Allotment clean outs are 100% the best - Free everything.

large.20210526_202400.jpg

These plastic barrels make excellent water butts - I have one stashed at a plot which is full up. Getting it to the plot was one of those January / February night missions in the dark. Pop down to your local allotment and ask if anyone has vacated a plot recently and does the plot need cleaning out . Its surprising what people leave behind.

When I've been looking for plots on google maps , I've discovered at least two large abandoned greenhouses in my area. Large industrial abandoned greenhouses are a gold mine for equipment. If you have any you go and check what they have as the majority of stuff is just left where it is.

Local farmers often pile up large amounts of manure which is surplus and provides an excellent source of natural nutrients. This can be bagged up in heavy duty rubble bags and stored in a dry space over the winter ready to added to your plot  in March or April.

large.20210526_183932.jpglarge.20210526_184034.jpg

On my winter walks with my wife, I noticed verges or woodland areas where young saplings have been planted.

large.20201221_154828.jpglarge.20210503_185959.jpg

These saplings are covered by plant protectors or cages . Often or not they have completely outgrown the cages and are left on the ground to decay.  These are perfect for outdoor grows and not being used anymore. So i’ll collect them in 10*s and bring them back to my grow site. If your lucky you might get some reusable zip ties, pegs, plant steaks with them 

large.20201221_155840.jpglarge.20210503_185949.jpglarge.20210503_185928.jpg

So you get the idea . You can save yourself abit of cash by reusing left over materials if you can be bothered to. 

• Like 6