Chunks secret garden

CHUNK9420

Got some plants out today guys, as suggested i made the holes in my 1st site bigger and ditched the fabric pots on the photos and put them straight into the ground, in much bigger holes, maybe i should ditch them on the autos too, i really dont know, ill probably do some of the autos in fabric pots and some straight into the ground.

I should have got them out sooner because i couldnt fit them in any carrier bags i had so i had to load them into a suit case, luckily i only walked past 1 person on my way into the woods but she was definitely thinking why does this mug have suitcase, hpefully she didnt think anything too sinister

large.60a53096c250f_ihatechickenwire.jpglarge.60a530932c634_dfg2.jpglarge.60a53091debcf_dfg1.jpglarge.60a5309495370_dfg3.jpglarge.20210519_144146.jpglarge.60a53099185db_snappeddfg.jpg

hopefully this one bounces back, to be fair im lucky only 1 broke and the rest only bent a bit 

• Like 4

can any of you growers with some experience let me know if rusty chicken wire will cause me any problems large.60a53097e8e2c_site1.jpg

• Like 4

These will be going out tomorrow but im not clearing the ground just going to clear small spots just big enough to translant from the pots,large.20210519_160928.jpg

• Like 3

This soil is clearly full on nutes but its pretty much pure clay will maybe 10cm of topsoil, do you think i will ok planting straight into it?large.60a5356100a99_thesoil.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CHUNK9420 said:

This soil is clearly full on nutes but its pretty much pure clay will maybe 10cm of topsoil, do you think i will ok planting straight into it?large.60a5356100a99_thesoil.jpg

Camo some in there mate. Don't upset the land as it looks good.

• Like 1

If you've got heavy clay, I wouldn't plant into it without amending it with something; well rotted manure, compost, even topsoil from the local woodland. I have tried, it did not work, simply put. I tried 2 years in a row, same result both times; very unhappy plants. From what I've observed, if you do want to plant into the clay with no amendments, then do not dig a hole. Mound up some of the topsoil from the area and plant into the mound, that might work. 

Atb

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been i while people i do appologise, wont bore you with reasons for not uploading in a while, i have i big old photo dump coming later just uploading it all now.

Why are wild rabbits such dickheads?!

Edited by CHUNK9420
  • Like 1

so heres a few pictures of plot 1 progress through june so far, out of 6 that went in here 4 are left, 1 was snapped in transport and never recovered and 1 was dug up by a fox or badger, i know for sure it wasnt pesky rabbits because they would have eaten all of them as you will see with the photos im about to upload of plot 2

large.60d1eb9bdd866_june1stplot1.jpglarge.60d1eb9d0d3bf_june15thplot1.jpglarge.60d1ecc0a1451_22ndjuneplot1mm.jpg

1st june

15th june

22nd june

im pretty confident ill be taking home somthing from this plot but i need to go and steak them with bamboo because there getting pretty heavy up top

• Like 6

warning some viewers may find the following images distressing, had a total on 16 plants in this plot i think i might have saved 4 or 5 of them, leasons have certaintly been learnt this year, its hard to see the distuction in the wide angle photo of the whole site so i will dump a load of close ups in the post after large.60d1f575b2047_plot22ndJuneall16.jpgso at this point i had high hopes for this spot large.60d1f572c9281_hardtoseedestructionbyrabbitsmm.jpgnot sure if you can see but they have been totally ravaged by the bunnies, next post will be close ups of the damage, you have been warned haha

Edited by CHUNK9420
  • Like 1

the chicken wire was not high enough and there are literally thousands of rabbits in this field so yeah, leason learned, hopefully the 4 i have a higher fence around will pull through but im not expecting to have anything from these lot to be honest, spot looks perfect but just too many rabbits in the area, i suspect they will get through the higher wire eventually and have the last 4 toolarge.60d1f8b4f0287_thetwinseedlinggotmunched.jpglarge.60d1f8b2a2213_maybewillbesaved.jpglarge.60d1f8b1b9187_Ireallyhaterabbits.jpglarge.60d1f8b07c241_Ihaterabbits.jpg

Edited by CHUNK9420
  • Like 1

decided to do a big photo dump at the end so its not in the middle of the diary, plus it takes a while to resize them all so i can upload them so ill pick all the best ones and not upload every photo like i was planning on doing, 

peace out folks ill be leaving it a couple more weeks before the next upload.

• Like 2

Not sure if 9420(0) is a postcode reference but if it is you're extremely close to us , good luck with your season !