Anyone using blumats in coco?

badbillybob

7 hours ago, grower951 said:

Anyone care to link some diaries with blumats I can have a nose at?

This is the diary that got me started down this path it's excellent.

You can check how I'm getting on with them in my Twisted Biscuits diary here:

• Like 7

Stayed up last night watching as many videos as possible on YouTube about blumats,  I think personally they’d be really suited to living soil, top dress/foliar feed tap water in the res and boom all done...

Can anyone direct me on how to ensure the res and piping are completely leak proof, is there any pics on here for a complete noob with a setup guide?  it’s my worry that I’ll come back to a flood! I’ve seen that a common problem is air build up causing a leak? Other than that it seems like a really stress free way of growing! 

• Like 5

@grower951 Those were my thoughts too. I have two living soil pots at the moment, hoping to get the blumats setup with some distribution drippers and hopefully it should take care of itself mostly.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, grower951 said:

Stayed up last night watching as many videos as possible on YouTube about blumats,  I think personally they’d be really suited to living soil, top dress/foliar feed tap water in the res and boom all done...

Can anyone direct me on how to ensure the res and piping are completely leak proof, is there any pics on here for a complete noob with a setup guide?  it’s my worry that I’ll come back to a flood! I’ve seen that a common problem is air build up causing a leak? Other than that it seems like a really stress free way of growing! 

By the official fixtures, and pipe ect and all will be fine. It really is so easy. The pics I posted above show how to setup. It only case of cutting 8mm pipe with scissors and 12mm hole in Res tank. That is all easy. Also just make sure to get a tank to hole 48 hours worth water so if does shit is self the garland try below pots will catch your tank.

• Like 4

Water tank / box on bench with pipe through Insulation.

large_gr7.jpg

Pipe comes into tent and goes to each carrot and ends with a carrot. Easy. Shut off valve before first carrot. So I cam drain tank easy. 

large.5fd386c9446e0_31inchheight.jpg

• Like 3

@grower951

So the res bulkhead fitting supplied in the 12 dripper set includes a rubber washer simply tighten the fitting and the compression force is enough to generate a water tight seal in the res. When you drill a hole in the res make sure you are using the correct size of drill bit and take the time to properly de burr the hole. I gave mine a couple of quick blasts with the old dab torch to make sure the hole was nice and smooth.

To prevent air locks there are some simple things you can do. Firstly make sure you follow the guide on how to set these up you need to bleed the system correctly when it's first installed. Always start with the last dripper in the loop and work your way back to the res end.

Secondly make sure you fit a cut off valve right next to the res outlet. This will prevent air getting into the system if you have to clean or change the res. I have completed 1 res change so far without any issues. 

Failing that the belt and braces approach is to make sure you have a floor tray to catch the res just in case. I've never filled my res past 25L as an extra precaution.

There's probably something I've missed but I think run away drippers are more a case of user error, so if you set it up carefully and prevent air getting into the system with valves etc you should be fine.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 6

Well,mine have been despatched, gonna be here end of next week apparently. i kinda wish i had ordered the 10 pack of extra drippers, so i can use 2 per pot, but i will see how it goes with one. (or change my mind.....again....... and just bloody order them =more likely)

this thread is proving to be a mine of information on these things. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

@grower951 Those were my thoughts too. I have two living soil pots at the moment, hoping to get the blumats setup with some distribution drippers and hopefully it should take care of itself mostly.

Would be keen to see this mate!

13 minutes ago, NezA said:

@grower951

So the res bulkhead fitting supplied in the 12 dripper set includes a rubber washer simply tighten the fitting and the compression force is enough to generate a water tight seal in the res. When you drill a hole in the res make sure you are using the correct size of drill bit and take the time to properly de burr the hole. I gave mine a couple of quick blasts with the old dab torch to make sure the hole was nice and smooth.

To prevent air locks there are some simple things you can do. Firstly make sure you follow the guide on how to set these up you need to bleed the system correctly when it's first installed. Always start with the last dripper in the loop and work your way back to the res end.

Secondly make sure you fit a cut off valve right next to the res outlet. This will prevent air getting into the system if you have to clean or change the res. I have completed 1 res change so far without any issues. 

Failing that the belt and braces approach is to make sure you have a floor tray to catch the res just in case. I've never filled my res past 25L as an extra precaution.

There's probably something I've missed but I think run away drippers are more a case of user error, so if you set it up carefully and prevent air getting into the system with valves etc you should be fine.

thanks, what size hole do you drill? Had a catch up on your diary earlier mate looking forward to when you can get your subbie beans in! :)  

• Like 2

Just now, grower951 said:

thanks, what size hole do you drill? Had a catch up on your diary earlier mate looking forward to when you can get your subbie beans in! :)  

I eyeballed it, all my drill bits are just chucked in the toolbox. lol

@growinggold has helpfully listed the size as being 12mm

Trying not to get too far ahead of myself with the subbies. I'm sure it'll all go to plan but you never know, not counting any chickens yet.

• Like 3

didnt take long to decide, more invisible cash spent. 

ive got some more hose, end drippers and tee pieces coming, 30 quid - kerching!!!

Ive decided on my plan of attack, i am definitely going to go with my 1.2 square tent, with 4 x 10 litre buckets, sitting in run off trays

2 outlets per blumat, in 10 litre buckets of coco.

Fed from a 35 litre really useful box res. these boxes are well made and solid with reinforced sides. 

i wont be filling it to the top, but i will be adding a small filter before the outlet, and a shut off valve between res and tent. 

Ive just flipped the soil plants in there so dont hold your breath, ill have to wait till they are done.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, badbillybob said:

didnt take long to decide, more invisible cash spent. 

ive got some more hose, end drippers and tee pieces coming, 30 quid - kerching!!!

Ive decided on my plan of attack, i am definitely going to go with my 1.2 square tent, with 4 x 10 litre buckets, sitting in run off trays

2 outlets per blumat, in 10 litre buckets of coco.

Fed from a 35 litre really useful box res. these boxes are well made and solid with reinforced sides. 

i wont be filling it to the top, but i will be adding a small filter before the outlet, and a shut off valve between res and tent. 

Ive just flipped the soil plants in there so dont hold your breath, ill have to wait till they are done.

Will be waiting in anticipation!! :smoke:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NezA said:

I eyeballed it, all my drill bits are just chucked in the toolbox. lol

@growinggold has helpfully listed the size as being 12mm

Trying not to get too far ahead of myself with the subbies. I'm sure it'll all go to plan but you never know, not counting any chickens yet.

I’ve got faith, will be taking a punt on them for sure :yep: