Different strains same buzz?

Slippy One

Hi strain lovers, does anyone else feel the same high with most strains? I recently had a fistful of Blue Dream (sat dom), some lovely Green Crack, a something Gelato, and some charas of unknown origin but looked and tasted old skool. I expected each strain to have a vastly diffrent buzz after puffing on my same outdoor for months on end. Sadly, each strain was the same. Half expecting the Blue dream to help me get the housework done in a flurry of sativa energy, but I just felt regular high like my old outdoor buds gave me... Is it possible my cannabinoid receptors have burnt out?

Should I take a tolerance break? 

Is it possible many strains are becoming generic in high but different in flavour only?

• Like 14

This is a very good question. A lot of people are not really pleased with the direction that the industry chose.

Bud tasting generic and having a dull high, comes up quite often when reading strain discussions. It seems that many genetics have become somewhat bottlenecked. 
I have a very high tolerance and a lot of bud does little to nothing to me. But I still find a keeper once a while, that just hits me right. That being said, the strains you mentioned, even the hash, are all pretty much known to have a social high, not being devastating.

• Like 12

Well, never had a weed that really gives me more energy. Some are more laugh and talk, some are more lie and sleep, but never had a weed with kind of cocaine effect. Have 4 different weeds atm, and they give me a slightly different high fwiw, but nothing that different.

• Like 1

Think it's time for a tolerance break. I do low dose edibles too, that probably doesn't help. High is just high, no matter what strain, and I've had some strong ones recently.. :(

• Like 2

Your starting with a pallete of brown paint somewhat. And expecting all the colours of the rainbow a bit here. 

If you want a sativa high, flower one for 12+ weeks. Maybe 14. Then come back and tell me they are all the same. 

And 8 week "sativa" is likely not going to give you much of a different high to an 8 week indica dom. 

If your feeling less ambitious try something like headband and disco biscuit for example. One will put you to sleep and the other many find quite hair-raising.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Your starting with a pallete of brown paint somewhat. And expecting all the colours of the rainbow a bit here. 

If you want a sativa high, flower one for 12+ weeks. Maybe 14. Then come back and tell me they are all the same. 

And 8 week "sativa" is likely not going to give you much of a different high to an 8 week indica dom. 

If your feeling less ambitious try something like headband and disco biscuit for example. One will put you to sleep and the other many find quite hair-raising.

I think it's this, I'm already looking into heavy sativas for a spring/summer indoor SCROG project. I was thinking that everything I vape and eat is hybrid, so maybe it hybrids in general..

• Like 6

21 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Interesting... Would that apply to my "almost pure sativa" serious 6? It definitely has a more cerebral, chatty high depending on what temp I vape at. 

I doubt I've ever experienced a true sativa high. 

I know early harvest produces a nice up stone, just short lasting. I'm sure a move towards more sativa leaning, long finishing strains Dr Grinspoon etc, but there's a lot to chose from. I also stumbled onto an article that said some haze strains are mislabelled as kush and visa versa. I'm just after something different, but the skeptical part of me has a hunch they're all identical on me. Like coffee you know, different beans, roasts but same caffeine buzz?

• Like 1

@Slippy OneI had an enforced tolerance break in January with a stay in hospital, had 10 days without smoking, vaping....ziltch. Like you it seems to take a lot to get proper baked with my puff, but after 10 days off, I came home rolled a phat one and nearly whiteyed. Lockdown doesn't make a T break particularly easy though does it? lol

• Like 4

I agree with @blackpoolbouncer

Everything I've read about Blue Dream from seed gives the impression that it isn't that sat.

In my experience, it's all a cannabis high, but a pure thai is very different from a Guava dawg for instance. 

• Like 4

I believe its kinda like when you wake and bake......the highs become indistinguishable throughout the day ,  you can gage raw strength, what hits you hardest,..  but not much else,.. it all just melts into one high ........ i believe you need a bit of sobriety to truly judge a high ......... some people are never sober .... so its just kinda wake and bake  over a bigger time frame  months years ect .sativa highs especially need a clear mind  imo..often big indica smokers  will try top sativa... and not appreciate  them at all because they are accustomed to that indica power ...but its horses for courses .. do what you like and what makes you feel good personally   

Edited by kingcapo123
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

I know early harvest produces a nice up stone, just short lasting. I'm sure a move towards more sativa leaning, long finishing strains Dr Grinspoon etc, but there's a lot to chose from. I also stumbled onto an article that said some haze strains are mislabelled as kush and visa versa. I'm just after something different, but the skeptical part of me has a hunch they're all identical on me. Like coffee you know, different beans, roasts but same caffeine buzz?

Theres more to a high than the cannabinoids. Terpenes modulate the kind of experience that you have in a kind of synergy with cannabinoids, but I understand why you would think all the effects would be the same on you. BBP has nailed it with this quote though: 

23 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

You're never going to find the greens blues and purples in the splodge of brown. If you actually want complex cannabis then stay the fuck away from almost all US hype breeders, Auto$ems, and Eurotrash verities cos its mostly the same boring squinty eyed bland stone.

Just now, kingcapo123 said:

it all just melts into one high ........ i believe you need a bit of sobriety to truly judge a high .........

If you are smoking bland boring canna then yes this is absolutely true, and considering how much of it there is out there I don't blame you or anyone for thinking that way. I assure you though, there are strains of canna out there that will give your head a shake, kick your arse and break its ankle in your colon, all the whilst keeping you up all night thinking "I didn't know smoking weed did this!!"

Granted you have to actually find them and smoke a few bull rushes along the way lol and when it comes to BLD (indica) varieties that actually have thoughtful and complex highs and aren't just smokable sleepers or don't do anything at all are even harder to find. 

IMO its all part of what makes this hobby great, reaming through seeds trying to find those verities that are actually interesting. All this scope in cannabis in terms of its psychoactive effects and everyone just picks the boring red squinty eyed yawning weed lol 

• Like 21