Shipping to UK post Brexit

Freddy_Freekowtski

Hi @Sweet Seeds-tommy

Hope you and yours are well :)

I'm wondering if you know how Brexit will effect shipping to the UK? Is it business as usual or will orders be liable for extra custom duties etc?

Appreciate you may well be trying to get your head around it all as well but thought I'd ask...

Hopefully it's not going to be too much of a ball ache for you...

All the best, Cheers :yep:

FF

• Like 2

Depends - companies selling from EU to UK have to sign up to collect VAT on behalf of HMRC - yeah, not many willing to do that! EU Hauliers usually serving the UK only get paid when the wheels are turning so they are reluctant to get stuck in a lorry park in Kent. UK hauliers simply do not have the capacity to take up the slack so good luck getting your parcel

• Like 3

To be honest, other than a bit of delay, i've not had much problem. I get asked to pay VAT on delivery. I know from my side, when sending from our company to the EU, our shipping company (UPS, FedEx etc) are collecting the local VAT at point of delivery via card. It's very normal in Germany, for instance, to have the Deutschpost App on your 'phone; because it's tied to a personal id number. Then you can have post and mail and parcels delivered to lots of places and access it as you like. So they're already setup to do it and there's already an understanding of paying fees on delivery/collection. France, however, are not like that it seems and everyone is trying to avoid tax by buying the cheaper option, only to find it was sold without VAT and they will have to pay their local VAT at some point. It seems when UPS put a card terminal in their face they're a bit angry about it and a few parcels have been refused and shipped back to us.

I imagine it will gradually get easier; we don't have problems shipping any where else in the world and it's the same type of systems everywhere. There's  a lot of psychological mountains to climb i think.

• Like 6

I stocked up before, just in case this kind of thing happened....I've probably got enough for a few years...assuming they'll last that long....keeping them in the fridge

Cheers Lamster 

Edited by Lamster67
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, grower951 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, can this be avoided if items are sent as 'gifts'? (up to a certain value of course)

iirc its under a value of either £50 or £30.

• Like 4

I have tried to order some seeds for that year and sensi seeds took a week to process my paymet, Barney farm does not send seeds to UK at the moment, RQS gas accepted order as usual and same with dutch passion. Non of them have arrived so far. 

• Like 3

Sweet Seeds mentioned in the competition thread that they aren't shipping to the UK at the moment, you can still get them off the likes of Attitude but I liked buying directly and getting Sweet Seeds freebies instead of the pot luck freebies from attitude, especially as I'm just doing autos for now.

• Like 6

Cheers mates!

For now we are not shipping directly to the UK. There are strong reasons in the base of this decision, but I'm not able to tell abou them as I was not informed by the company managers. I don't doubt the items would arrive, even if with a bit of delay, but I was told that there are other issues that go out of our understanding and respect to fiscal and accountings, which can't be ignored as we always did (and do) everything within legal standards.

Nonetheless we will get back to shipping to the UK as soon as we realize it is possible again without running any risks.

In the meanwhile, there are a lot of shops/resellers that stock our gear and ship to the UK. Well, some are even based in the UK. So not only it is possible, it is very easy for you guys to get our strains from any of the many resellers.

Sweet smokes! :yep:

tommy

• Like 9

Thanks all, I'd missed that announcement in the thread. :)

I also prefer buying direct but obviously not a problem of Sweet Seeds making and great that we can get them from suppliers in the UK til something (hopefully!) gets sorted.

Cheers :yep:

FF

PS @Lamster67 They should keep in the fridge for a few years no problem, stick them in some tupperware if you haven't already

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lamster67 said:

I stocked up before, just in case this kind of thing happened....I've probably got enough for a few years...assuming they'll last that long....keeping them in the fridge

Cheers Lamster 

If you have a freezer, put the bulk of your seeds in there, Work quickly to get the seeds you need out of the freezer.  The ones you plan on using in a year or two, keep them in the fridge.

• Like 2

I have received my orders from sensi seeds and dutch passion today and still waiting for RQS to arrive.

There is generally an issue with mail coming from Europe-small envelopes seams to be late and larger parcels can be delayed way over a week

• Like 1

Seedsman has stopped shipping here too. 

They have some stock available but not everything. I had placed an order with them  before Xmas and they cancelled it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, Whatwentwrong said:

Seedsman has stopped shipping here too. 

They have some stock available but not everything. I had placed an order with them  before Xmas and they cancelled it. 

Argh wtf, was planning on ordering with them tonight.