any barneys growers on here?

sweettooth

7 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

Barney's get a bad press, mainly because of the way they do business. Some of their rip-off's are okay to decent.  Pineapple chunk is probably their best, most liked strain.  I grew Barney's for a few years, had a few hermes.  Never had a hermie since I moved away from them and my dope is nicer too.  I'd call them entry level, and they're okay for that. 

The Critical Cure i grew had nana's right at the end and i ended up with 88 seeds:ohmygod:, But the effect was the best CBD plant i've grow/smoked to date, but sadly because of the nana's/seeds i wouldn't grow it again, I got Sweet Nurse on the go atm fingers crossed that can top the Critical Cure.

Edited: The Nana's may be due to light leaks tho

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

I did a couple of their plants in my first or second grow bout 10years ago and wasn't very impressed so have avoided them since.

41 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

Barney's get a bad press, mainly because of the way they do business. Some of their rip-off's are okay to decent.  Pineapple chunk is probably their best, most liked strain.  I grew Barney's for a few years, had a few hermes.  Never had a hermie since I moved away from them and my dope is nicer too.  I'd call them entry level, and they're okay for that. 

Never had a hermie with them. I tend to stick to short flowering indicas. barneys is the only seedbank with the biggest variety when I search on attitude seeds for that criteria. I may try the Dutch passion critical orange punch. I did try and get some dinafem critical kush but all sold out as I hear dinafem are in the shit??? always pulled 5 oz+ per plant with their strains. what you growing? I'm always up for changing genetics as long as I can meet the medium height, short flowering criteria. I suppose I could go more sativa and scrog them

• Like 1

Barneys for me is like the McDonald’s of weed. That’s only my opinion. So don’t take it as gospel..I like to grow bud that’s a little different and potentially special with thought and care gone into the breeding. Shit man I sound like a snob lol 

• Like 10

Grew barneys LSD twice when I got started growing,  it really was a fantastic smoke.

Nice to see Barneys contribute here now despite so much negativity  .  Maybe they should start a sub forum.  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Military Grade said:

had nana's right at the end

You can't really blame a plant/genetics for that. If a plant hermies 4weeks in then i'd say yes but right at the end it's only doing what natures intends. I found a nana this week, seems sterile. It's on a plant that I've grown from cut a few times, there's 2 more in there now. Never seen a nana on them before, the only difference with this one was i'd forgot to take it out on time (I was a week late) :headpain:

• Like 2

liberty haze id avoid its just always been a dead cross no chem91 in it. violator kush though is so underated if you want something really strong and its decent for small grow spaces.   

• Like 2

I've grown Barney's stuff but wouldn't any more. Their business model has always been to get the latest hype variety, (not "strain", I'm not using that phrase any more as it is incorrect, botanically speaking) and then making feminized seeds. Many companies use this model now and in the past. Just go look on the 'tude, there are more companies that sell only fems and autos than anything else. Fems and autos are fine - I have no problem with them but they wouldn't be possible without the work of what I would refer to as ethical breeders who create lines of plants with preservation, diversity and quality in mind. Barney's do not do this. They simply grow out a seed that an ethical breeder has made or pay for a cut, again from a breeder who has developed the line, and then feminize it and call it a name, package it fancily and flog it. In my opinion that makes them some kind of weird middle men. They're the car salesmen of the cannabis industry. The stuff they sell doesn't mean it's shit but it's certainly not their own work which means I don't hold them in the same regard as a true breeder of cannabis, someone who is trying to improve and preserve with specific goals in mind. True "breeders" are Oldtimer, VRG, DJ Short, Breeder Steve, Chimera, Karma, Bodhi, AKBeanbrains, Dubi from Ace, Shantibaba, Gooey Breeder, Sam Skunkman, to name a few off the top of my head. Barneys are the Swiss Tonys of the cannabis industry. That's who you're giving your money to when you grown out one 5 pack of their fem'd autos.

I don't believe Barneys put the same due diligence, care and love in to what they are seling. I want my hard earned dollar to go to breeders that will develop new lines, search for quality genetics, preserve what they find and make for future generations. That's my 10 pence. I'm not trying to argue with every one that has posted here in the thread already. I'm positing why I won't pay for their wares. I'm not rubbishing anyone who does. Sometimes you can only get what you can get and I'm supposing that the people who aren't commenting in this thread are not commenting because of this and can't be arsed with the same old not really worth the hot air arguments.

• Like 17

Never ever ever ever again.

That pineapple chunk was absolutely shite.

The LSD was ok

The sweet tooth 20 years ago was a monster and one of the best plants I ever grew.

Since then I wouldn't touch them with a shitty stick.....I'm still pissed about that funking shitty pineapple chunk.

• Like 4

On 05/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, sweettooth said:

I've grown mainly barneys over the years with always great results, pineapple chunk, critical kush,  phantom og, tangerine dream, gorilla skittles, glookies (amazing), gelato. now started wedding cake. Ive done a few Dutch passions and G13 labs, they were both good. I see a lot of people mention hermies from barneys, was after peoples opinions on them. Ive done a few HBO freebies but they're always slightly longer flowering times than I'd like, always squeezed in 5 to 6 grows a year and want to continue mainly indicas with a short flowering time and good yield. I dab so convert a lot to oil and when you dab, even a blunt doesn't really hit you anymore so go through a lot. Ive seen some breeds called FAST which I know are due to the crossing with a male auto but wondered how this impacted the quality as some of the auto buds ive seen arent as nice as photoperiod plants, always look a bit airey. 

My advice if you are in fear of the herm?

Stick to regular, evolutionary-superior, 100% female genetics.

Keep control of your variables and watering, food content etc and you will be fine (as long as you have not gone for cheap market seeds lol )

I know now I am going to be hawk-eying every freakin node of my lot -in the same respect now.. glad you posted this question.

Peyote Cookies I would ‘highly recommend’ and fully believe they can’t actually be Barneys at all lol

Id grow this now in the face of my most favoured of smokes.

Never had any bother with barneys beans pineapple chunk 1st plant a grew no complaints , got a peyote critical in flower the noo lovely hardy plant that was a freebie .

• Like 1

Ive had no real problems with any of their stuff Ive grown.....nothing outstanding either mind.  Its been a while since Ive actually bought any seeds but if I was spending hard cash it wouldnt be on any of theirs. I prefer regs anyway

• Like 3