Sweet watery wonderland - trees for life

badbillybob

11 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i have held the water level slightly higher this run so the bottom of the netpot is just covered the base of the pot, not inches up the hydroton pot like, but covering it...it might be related to the issues....er........., im clutching at straws here......

This is could just be the problem...not trying to teach granny and all that but I always leave a  mahoosive gap betwixt pot and nutes,

During that really hot spell we had, I dropped the level to just a couple of inches in the bottom of the res, which left the gap at around 8 to 10 inches...!!    :eek:

Without a chiller or frozen bottles and room temps over 32c, I still achieved a stunning crop and not a trace of rot.

Everyone bangs on about res temps which is all well and good but the real reason for keeping them optimum is to do with DO (as you already know)

however if the bulk of the roots aren't submerged then temps don't really come into it as they are taking oxygen from the air...hence " air roots "

Maybe this is the very straw that needs clutching billy...??   I do hope so...:yep:

:oldtoker:

• Like 5

thanks man, 

Well i went out this morning for a look to see how they are doing- still the same, but i noticed the roots on the SAD look a bit brown. 

large.8.JPG

im not sure if its staining from the roots axcellerator or if its something else, but they arent slimey or easily detached, like they are with pythium/root rot. only a few bits came away in my hand, its probably the beginning of rot by the looks of it. the SAD roots look kinda similar, although the new root growth looks white. 

time for the silver bullet...

SWeet afghan deeliciouslarge.2.JPGlarge_10.JPG

and the jackolarge.9.JPGlarge.1.JPG

But im going to take the bull by the horns and keep dosing them with silver bullets, in the hope it can keep them sweet while i flower them out. i simply dont have another fortnight to veg them out and see if they recover, its costing me £100 a week in elecric as it is, and i just cant afford to put any more cash into  them, so im gonna  flip them at the weekend, and hope for the best.

now, where did i put that bleach...........(joke) 

• Like 11

A major decision has been made today.

i will give them till Monday to perk up or i will pull the lot.

I could carry on with them, dosing them daily and end up with half a result, but im not prepared to throw another 10 weeks electricity at them for this.

i think im really kidding myself that they will come back from this, because they definitely have root issues. i had a close inspection of the poorly jack 47 and its as far as the root crown is affected. :( 

i think the jack  has had it, but the sad might be treatable. i might take it out and put it in a bubbler,  with some beneficial bacteria and a lot of air/oxygen, as well as some mycorrhydro to see if this can get rid of the bad bacteria. time will tell. 

my silver bullet roots still hasnt arrived, which isnt helping. i also noticed some light green algae in the res. the PH levels have started diving over the last couple of days and the water level isnt moving, its not looking good. 

i think ive sussed out the reason for it though. Back at the start, when i just put them into the system, my fan controller went tits up, making the intake and extract fan stop completely for about 20 hours, which caused  huge temps in the room for a day, (47 odd degrees)  and the chiller was unable to cope. i think these high temps have allowed the pythium and bad bacteria to take hold at the root crown, and it has just developed from there to be honest. 

i suspect the bleach foam party will be in full swing next week. 

ive got my sweet seeds seed stash on standby. i reckon i will still have enough time to get another grow finished, if i soak them next week. 

im pretty gutted to be honest, the SAD especially was looking like it wanted to be a tree.

cream 47, jack 47, green poison, SAD, Moham ram or blackjack, tough decisions to be made

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 9

Yeah, Thanks Larry.

To be honest this has been my worst year for growing since i started, its been one thing after another.

First a ruined, seeded crop from hermies last run, now this, fan controllers going tits up, ballast going tits up etc, its just part of the hobby.

i will return once everything has been bleached within an inch of its life.

hopefully it will be ok, and nothing nasty will remain......

im kinda tempted to re-do my entire room, but it works well normally, the set up ive currently got, so will see. 

• Like 8

That's a real shame mate but I think the cut your losses approach is probably for the best at this stage.

It'd be different if they were halfway through flower and you could nurse them through to the finish line, but I don't think you'd be doing yourself or the strains any justice after battling pythium this early on. 

Gutted for you mate.

• Like 2

i dont see why not, but i dont think its a good idea taking cuts from ill plants in general. 

it might save me a week, but i think im not gonna risk it, im gonna go from seeds to be honest.

i can also try some other varieties by doing this.

• Like 7

Fair enough mate, was just trying to think of a way you could salvage something from it is all such a shame when time and effort goes to waste. 

All the best with whatever happens next

• Like 4

2 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i dont see why not, but i dont think its a good idea taking cuts from ill plants in general. 

it might save me a week, but i think im not gonna risk it, im gonna go from seeds to be honest.

i can also try some other varieties by doing this.

Bummer mate...doesn't take much to feck up hydro...beyond your control really mate but it's got to be worth grabbing some cuttings,

cost nothing, they will be more mature than seedlings and can get hammered with nutes and light earlier to make up for lost time.

Gutted for ya bud...onwards and upwards...:yep:

lol

• Like 4

Echt..... shit happens,

But i will bounce back.

In fact ive taken direct action and deecided not to waste any more nutes/electric or time on this lot,

so.......plants are now bin liners, system is emptied, hydroton is in the bath in bleach and all the manky roots are bagged for disposal, seeds are about to get a soaking, and all pumps lights etc are off,.................. but not for long. 

now then, decisions decisionslarge.1.JPG

Hasta la vista baby

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 14

@bigbadbillybob

That laughing emoji wasn't supposed to be there, me and stoned fingers...:doh:

You can also select the best from clones to grow on or even have more than one in a pot...gawblimey...choices, choices...

;)

• Like 4