Sweet watery wonderland - trees for life

badbillybob

Hi @badbillybob

No experience with rdwc so feel free to tell me to not be so silly but, 

I'm wondering if the additional airstones you've added are messing with the pH, 

I have heard that bubbling O2 can cause an increase in alkalinity, 

obviously not normally an issue. 

But I recall you saying that you were adding more than usual,

perhaps remove some to see if it helps¿

Hope you get them up to speed. 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AustrianToker said:

It does look a bit more serious than stress.   what is your environment like, temp of water and what exactly are you feeding them? are you flowering already?  This info could help to identify the problem.  Taking pictures during lights off might help a bit more as well.  

This is the issue, everything you mention is where it should be . 

temps are 25-28 degrees, RH is 35-50%, water temp is  18-20 degrees. 

feeds are at 1.1 EC which might be slightly high, so i will reduce them a bit. A few leaf tips burning on new growth indicates it is a bit high, so i will see if reducing it helps.

Feeds are Ionic grow and bloom. i used both as the grow alone was giving them too much nitrogen and leaf claw, so i put in 50-50 grow and bloom. ive done this before with no issues. other additives are silicone at 0.5 ml per litre, cal mag at the same 0.5 ml per litre and a tiny bit of  H&G roots axcellerator, like 0.2 ml per litre

ph is 5.7-6.1, so within range.

these are in veg and under 24 hour lighting, week 5/6.

Yeah Shumroom, i moved the extra airstones out after a few days . that was midweek, no difference. 

Maybe a res change might help

cheers, im gonna reduce the feeds and see if it helps, if not im draining the res and resetting feeds to 0.8 till they start feeding i think. i will just use grow nutes though, just to rule out the grow/bloom mix, even tho ive used it before without issues. 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

in veg and under 24 hour lighting, week 5/6

What about changing light schedule to 18/6 - give them some sleep?

Sorry of this is poor advice - good luck - hope they sort themselves out.

• Like 1

@badbillybob  The evironment seems fine.  Water temps might be a little cool.  perhaps raising it to 22C might help.  I also like the idea of giving the plants a bit of rest, as Quintinquick recommended.   One thing that is a bit strange, is the fact that you are using bloom nutrients already and cal/mag which is usually reserved for the flowering.  I would go back to grow food only with rootstim at 0.8 EC and see how that goes...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, QuintinQuick said:

give them some sleep?

Something about the thought of plants with sleep deprivation issues makes me smile, but if they're stalled then why not eh :yep:

9 hours ago, AustrianToker said:

@badbillybob  The evironment seems fine. 

See I reckon the feed seems spot on, but the fact that both grows on opposite sides of the room have stalled at the same time says to me it either something in the room like airflow, maybe a fan going slow or a filter blocked,

or maybe they just really didn't like that hard trimming session.. lol

Whatever it is I hope you get it sorted and the ladies perk up badbillybob :yep:

• Like 3

ok so this morning i have emptied the res.

There was a disturbing amount of root matter in the pump filters, a bit more than usual, but not hugely more. 

im hoping its not a sign of root issues, but im not kidding myself, its clear there is some sort of issue with them, because they dont usually lose so much. Maybe when i had the 5 airstones per tote in it blasted off some of the weaker rootage, yeah well, thats what i'll tell myself anyway.

they look ok to be fair, the SAD has a larger root mass than the Jack, which reflects in the plants.

large.8.JPGlarge_11.JPG

large.7.JPG

res on re-fill above. 

i set the numbers as follows, 

silicone 100ml

cal mag -200ml

grow nutes -550ml

this came up with 0.9 ec and i set the ph to 5.6/5.7.

im not using the roots axcellerator, or any bloom nutes so will see how they do with this. on reflection i should only have put in a 100ml of cal mag, but its done now. 

i wasnt sure how much grow i would ned to get the ec figures this is why i put 200ml cal mag in. 

im fairly sure it wont be an issue.

Pics now, the Sweet afghan delicious looks marginally better than last week, and the Jack looks a fair bit worse than last week..

large.9.JPGlarge_10.JPG

lets see how they do this week,

• Like 10

Hello again.

the hydro issues continue.........

For my record, this is now 6&1/2 weeks veg, and i can only assume that my system is sick,  these have some sort of issue i cant diagnose. 

i normally veg for 4 weeks and this fills the plants out to the point i cant veg any longer without them growing into each other. i di a 5 week veg once and it was out of control to be honest, so this, at 6 and a half weeks  is clearly not right.

My plan is now to cut my losses, change the title of the thread to "shrubs for life" and  flip them next week, and i will just be dosing the res with silver bullet roots, if it ever arrives.....to try and keep any nasties in the water at bay.

Please dont take this as any sort of reflection on the strains, because it isnt any fault of theirs, because i use a common res for both sides of the room and all of the plants look really poor.

The other side of the room has plants which i know are very good genetics too, but look probably worse than the sweet seeds ones.

Do hydro they said.............it will be great.........................they said.............

• Like 11

Very odd indeed @badbillybob

They were absolutely flying along. Can you think of anything else you might have changed?

I'm sure a man of your calibre will get this all figured out mate don't lose heart. Try going through every input methodically check and triple check make sure all your measuring tools are in check. 

It's gotta be something like you say it's just not right. Even if topping slowed them down they well should've bounced back by now. 

Hope you get to the bottom of what's causing it

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

Do hydro they said.............it will be great.........................they said.............

What a headfuck billy...the only thing I can think of is oxygen in the root zone, notice how your symptoms are varied from clawing,

overfeeding and the way the leaves are drooping slightly makes me think roots, is is possible the air pump is making noises and doing little?

It's happened to me before and once I changed the pump things picked up...otherwise I'm pretty much as lost as you on the cause but I think you can

rule out topping and stress.

• Like 6

A lot of the symptoms point at Ph issues or root issues but the ph is on point, i checked my pen, calibrated it a week ago, then checked it against my mates- all ok.

the roots look ok too.

Only thing ive done different this time is to use silver bottle (hydro specific) roots axcellerator early on, but i cant see that doing it

There is no problem with the roots oxygenation Stu, ive been checking on it regularly. i had extra airstones in there for a few days but that made them look worse, and i think was the cause for the bits of roots stuck in the pump filter. i think they had too much O2, blasting loose bits of roots off, which then got back to the res. i took them out after a few days. 

there was some flakey shit in the pipes after the last run, because i left it a few weeks before starting these, maybe bacterial i really just dunno.

im gonna bleach everything, bin all the pipework and downsize the system after this grow, see if it helps any. 

In the meantime im gonna lower the water levels, reduce feed to 0.8, add silver bullets  and see what happens, if anything. 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

im gonna bleach everything,

Sorry I can't think of anything else that's obvious, maybe there is an infection of some sort...hope you get to the bottom of it...:yep:

Never know, they're still alive and could surprise you when they're flipped...you gonna have a bubblebath in the bleach, same as before..?  :wassnnme::rofl:

;)

• Like 7

last time i added too much bleach it was like an Ibiza foam party in there - half way up the walls and all sorts. 

still, at least it ,....er................     sterilised everything lol

• Like 5

ive been out and lowered the water level, and then added some 10% of fresh plain water.

This will have the effect to reduce the ec slightly. The water level is just below the  underside of the pots, and while doing it i was trying to rack my brains about what has changed since the last grow.  i have held the water level slightly higher this run so the bottom of the netpot is just covered the base of the pot, not inches up the hydroton pot like, but covering it...it might be related to the issues....er........., im clutching at straws here......

i remembered that i also never actually bleached the hydroton at the end of the last grow, to kill any possible pathogens between grows, i just put it all in the big laundry tub, and re-used it, because it was clean enough or so i thought. maybe something in the hydroton? or am i still clutching at straws? more likely maybe.

Ahh f*ck knows, will find out in a few days, hopefully...

• Like 8