Sweet watery wonderland - trees for life

badbillybob

Hello , hello, and welcome to my watery wonderland, roll up roll up (quite literally), and come and join Billy's circus of dreams. 

There will be some laughs, a bit of craic, some big ole ganja plants and a reserviour full of watery fun........

This year i have decided to join the sweet seeds competition again,  and this time i am choosing 3 classic strains.

Here they arelarge_11.JPG

large_22.JPG

im doing 2 of each, and the strains will be Jack 47, cream 47 and sweet afghan delicious.

i did the SAD last year and enjoyed it so much im doing it again. it produced dense solid buds from bottom to top of the plant and tasted divine.

The Jack 47 and cream 47 are unknown quantities, so it will be nice to test them out. im hoping the cream 47 has the power and the jack has the taste, but time will tell.

i am going for something different this year, this year im going to try and grow a few trees...probably one of each strain, depending on how my germination goes. ive been killing a lot of seedlings lately, no idea how, or why, but i will try extra hard this year, because i want them all germed so i can pick the best ones for "redwood alley".

My plan is to put them all into the system, see which ones take swimming lessons and which ones dont, and keep the 3 best . 

My room.

Its about 2.5 wide by 4.2 long, and has a 9 pot, DIY, top fed, rdwc system in it. 

these are 60 litre totes, which are fed my a 8000litre pump on the 5 pot side , and a 4000 litre pump on the 4 pot side. 

Air pumps are 60 litre ones, and all pumps are Hailea. 2 golf ball airstones per pot. These arent really needed, but the more the merrier as i say

i have 5 lights in there, all of them are dimmable ballast HPS, 600 watts.

my fans are a 10 inch intake and a 12 inch extract, run off a simple DIY variac controller.

Filter is currently an old rhino pro, 1 metre long, which is going to be changed out very shortly with a new one. Not a rhino tho, a Carboair.

Germination.

i will be soaking them overnight in a shot glass and then into kitchen roll till roots sprout, and then probably into the prop with some coco, till they have enough roots for the system.

This is the same way ive been doing it for years, but i used to use the root it cubes, im not this time, as ive had some damping off lately in them, and no, before you say it, ive not been over spraying them. 

So they are in shot glasses as we speak, and i will report back when the excitement starts. 

Bring it on!!!!

'Mon the trees!

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 28

I have done Cream47 and Jack47, but not SAD.

They were large, just like Bigfoot.  They will grow, grow, grow.

I have just put my new seeds on this morning also.

Best of luck with a good start! 

Insp.

• Like 6

Are you going for the Kilo plant, billybob? I planted 6 auto seeds in 3" hard  netpots of pure coco  last go and they air-pruned nicely. I found root cubes dried out too fast for me.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Are you going for the Kilo plant, billybob? I planted 6 auto seeds in 3" hard  netpots of pure coco  last go and they air-pruned nicely. I found root cubes dried out too fast for me.

ooooh i dunno, i hadn't thought about it for this run, ive been saving it for when my new LED arrives, in January time hopefully.

i would love a crack at it though, but we will have to see what the seeds say. 

Heres my room set up, it looks clean in this pic, so I'll use it. large.1.jpg

large.7.JPGlarge_23.JPGlarge_25.JPG

This is an old pic, the plants aren't actually in there yet....but soon,, oh yes, soon they will be. seeds are soaking in paper towel along with some others for my other room, exciting times

The reservoir pump at the  top is for the chiller (maxijet 1000), with a y piece return falling back into res for waterfall effect and thus more dissolved oxygen, then the middle right pump is the 4000litre one and middle left is the 8000litre one.

its weird but the 8000 litre is no way pushing out double what the 4000 is......large.4.jpglarge.5.jpg

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 25

MOrning all, How are you all today? rough as a badgers or shining like a new pin?

Anyway, with my usual bouts of stupidity , carelessness, neglect and just poor germination technique, ive ended up with 3 survivors.

Luckily its one of each strain, here they are today it goes cream 47, sweet afghan and jack 47..large_31.JPGlarge_34.JPGlarge_29.JPG

Its my own fault, i keep changing my germination technique around, i should really just stick with what works, but no, no, that would be too easy......

This time i tried coco/hydroton mix, at 0.4ec ph 5.8, in the little prop tray. Maybe i left them under it too long, maybe too hot, maybe im a doof, i dunno.

ive got to say the cream 47 doesnt look all that great. i did think about germing /killing some more, but have decided that this was the deck ive been dealt so i'll just get on with it.  if only one siurvives to bloom im gonna go massive with it, i hope the jack 47 does well, it looks healthiest of the bunch. 

APologies to Sweet for my germing failures, its no reflection on the genetics, more i reflection on my inability to keep seeds alive. 

Anyway ive passed the horrible germination stage so it should be plain sailing from here on eh?

• Like 19

Looking alright mate, how old are they now? Two weeks?

Mine aren't going into the totes for at least another two weeks...

Edited by Punta Roja
  • Like 1

they are about 10 days, about a week or so in the water, i put up the water level in the system to make sure the roots get some soak.

should have got a decent root system on them first, but ive no patience. 

hope it doesnt bite me on the ass. 

• Like 7

Hey bro, it's nice to see you again ;) 

Thanks for the participation and I hope you enjoy it!

Best of luck!

• Like 4

On 10/28/2020 at 9:24 AM, badbillybob said:

These arent really needed, but the more the merrier as i say

lol You talk the talk and walk the walk on that one, I know! 

I'm pleased coincidence/luck/fate/whatever has chosen one of each strain for you and I'm looking forward to seeing what mighty trees you'll produce from these classic lines. Good luck with the grow - 'mon the trees!!

• Like 3

well here i am with another update. 

its time to come clean, ive beeen holding out on you, cos im actually at week 3, but, trying to remember what i did yesterday, never mind 2 weeks ago is doing my nut in, so i will just bring things up to date.  ill give you week 2 pics and do week 3 at weeekend. 

so in week 2.....what happened again........oh yeah......i cant remember hahaha

Heres some plant pics , it goes  SAD, then Cream 47, then Jack 47, which is beasting along , looking like she wants to be big, then cream 47, looking a little bit stunted to be honest, but thats probably down to me. 

large_19.JPGlarge.1.JPGlarge_16.JPG

i changed the res yesterday and set it for 1.0 ec and ph is up to 5.7

• Like 9