Inkbird Environment Control Automation - VPD Made Easy!

NezA

@superfruitYeah i just got a large one delivered yesterday. I only had a 60x40 (i think thats the dimensions) in the 160x80 tent. But noticed the plants not on the mat seemed that little less happy than the others. Im assuming it took its toll during lights out. The heat mats dont generate a huge amount of heat when set at 24-26 so although it might well raise the temps a little i treat my root temps and VDP as two separate things. Got the 120x40 mat in now. Watered about 2/3 hours ago, just looked in before lights out and they look as happy as pigs in poo :yep:

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

treat my root temps and VDP as two separate things

Perfect, my thinking too!

Yeah I'd agree little to no environmental impact with the heat mat in there.

Glad your ladies are happy, and im sure they'll remain happy all through their dark period thanks to the mat. Sitting the mat on top of some polystyrene works wonders 

• Like 3

@superfruit well I think we’re on the same page there. Although I wasn’t sure it seemed the most logical conclusion.

Yeah they should be really happy now. Shouldn't have to buy anything else now except nutes. I looked at the thermal layer but couldn’t justify the 15 quid. Doesn’t sound much but times are hard and that’s a few teas for me n the kids. I did however see silver reflective thermal lining in the Aldi. At a guess I’d say it was a good 2’ wide and looked like a fair size roll. £8.99 if I remember correctly. Again. Too tight to part with me money! lol Had I been struggling with temps I’d have considered it but always at least 24 degrees so happy to let it slide.

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Im the same @NezA im not well off by any means but cheap shit is just that. Ordered one that was about £25 at discounted price. As much as i could afford. Lets hope its better than the 13 quidder! 

Wish id put a few more quid in and got the wifi ones but wasnt aware of being able to control from yer phone otherwise id have gone for it. Also nervous about other folk picking up my growing perimeters lol im technologically naive. Times are moving to fast for me. Not sure my fears are based on reality like.

I wouldnt say im right on point either, but having said that, i think thats probably only possible in a sealed room. Again that might be my naievity talking. Not really noticed roots since i completed me pot ups before taking this seriously. I have noticed the general appearance is much better. I do have a couple of yellow tips but, as usual, ive left feeding until the last minute. Im scared of toxicity. I mean borderline major paranoia. Showing its hunger after 2 weeks of pot up tells me im doing something right. Just need to make their tea on time in future! 

Aye I know what you mean mate. Very much on the same page. I want the best bang for my buck every time. I don't have money to waste but I'll definitely spend the extra when I need to.

Funnily enough I very nearly pulled the trigger on the non WiFi versions it was only because I did some digging the WiFi versions turned up I couldn't quite justify the extra money. I decided to pull the trigger on the non WiFi ones just before I did I saw a flash deal pop up on the WiFi ones for half price. I didn't hesitate. I got seriously lucky. But knowing what I know now they are worth every penny of full price.

Yeah I noticed the general vibrancy just they looked happier than I'd ever seen a plant they were really thriving. Then I potted them up and couldn't believe the insane roots! It all makes sense of course but seeing how the cuts are performing in my veg tent really seals the deal. I'm totally sold on this whole VPD thing, obviously for first timers there's a lot more to worry about getting right before worrying about this stuff. But for someone who's ready for the next step up VPD is the one.

The next bit of kit for me is blumats. I've seen some incredible results from them combining them with these is where it's at I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, superfruit said:

@mikeydoughnut @NezA are you guys using heat mats while chasing the VPD dragon? My roots are always 24c or so, but I'd assume VPD is still totally applicable and maybe even unchanged by this due to the fact that the variables are leaf temp, environmental temp and rh.

To be honest mate I find if my ambient is at the right level my root zone is generally fine. I did have some tube heaters in there but they've been commandeered for the veg tent lol

• Like 1

@NezA thinking back im pretty sure i saw the deal that youd got on the big river but i already had the temperature controller and bought the humidity one literally about a week earlier. I may well be mistaken but recall seeing them come as a pair fairly cheap for what they do. Congrats though for dropping on like that! 

I'll have too see my roots on the next run. Doing a ugorg run so hopefully strong genetics and a more sound understanding of environmental controls ill get some crazy roots. When it comes to cannabis i have 2 envies. One being folk with DB flowers to smoke and the other proper mental roots. Ive never had either but heres hoping! 

Do you grow in soil? I looked at blumats as work kept getting in the way. Read that they can be a bit tricky with organic nutes? Hopefully you can do an idiots guide for folk like me once you get on it. Imagine the time saved!

• Like 1

@BUSHCAT just set the temperature you want,

lets say 23C for argument sake.

Next reduce the coolback and hysteresis settings to 0.5C or closer if you choose.

Hope this helps.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@mikeydoughnut yeah mate my mix is compost, earthworm castings and perlite. I do use organic nutes at the moment, but I think I'll switch to salt based nutes for the blumats by all accounts they don't cope with organic nutes at all well. I'm switching nutes for the next run but haven't quite decided yet. I'm definitely going to give Intense Nutrients a bash, for blumats I'll go with their Dirt range.

But then again I might give the Organix range a bash and handwater one more run...

Eventually I'm switching to living soil so the blumats will only be running plain water then. This run I just finished, the feed issues really got me down, so I need to change something, but haven't decided exactly what's changing yet though.

• Like 2

My Inkbirds arrived, and I actually stumbled across an interesting post at cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/cbt-032316-led-transition-lighting-testing which quotes:

The actual temperature is very cultivar-dependent, but the ambient air temperature with LED lighting runs generally about 10 degrees cooler than other systems, says Ryall. Under HPS, growers aim for a 75-degree air temperature, which puts the leaf surface temperature at about 85 to 88 degrees. Since LED lighting runs cooler, he’s seen the best results by raising the ambient air temperature by about 10 degrees. Ryall likes to see that number at about 82-85 degrees, which will make a lot of growers “fall out of their chair,” he says. It might actually mean bringing the temperature of the grow area up a little to the best range for the plant.

So in my case using HPS no way am I going to have a -2c leaf temp difference, but more like a +x difference which to me makes total sense as the environment source of heat is the HPS lamp itself. At least, this is the case during the light cycle. When lights are out the oil rad will kick in, and therefore leaf temps will likely drop to -x instead. Probably +5.5c leaf temp which breaks the charts :D

Seems I have some calculations to do, and will need an IR thermometer sooner rather than later.

Another of interest: 

Edit: Wow, loads of resources discussing hps and leaf temps. I need to do some reading!

Edited by Joolz
remove shop link

Remember chaps vpd is mainly relevant with lights on when the plants have there stomata open. Think that's what the pulse grow email said. 

• Like 2

Just now, growinggold said:

Remember chaps vpd is mainly relevant with lights on when the plants have there stomata open. Think that's what the pulse grow email said. 

That definitely makes night-time calcs easier. But using HPS seems to cause VPD upsets.. hmm

• Like 1

@superfruit I'm still trying to get my head around it myself tbh. Im going to do a diary update tonight and will include a vpd section as I've noticed one my sensors now includes this so I will post my findings for different leaf temprattue off sets (-1 and -2) and show you the vpd over typical lights on 12 hours period. 

I don't have a infra red sensor so again it's little guess work but you all may find interesting. Has any one taken a infrared reading for led environment here yet?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shumroom said:

@BUSHCAT just set the temperature you want,

lets say 23C for argument sake.

Next reduce the coolback and hysteresis settings to 0.5C or closer if you choose.

Hope this helps.

Atb

:yinyang:

Cheers bud, I'll have look, I managed to get the controller that switches from heating to cooling for £21 from Bezos on a deal :)

• Like 1