Inkbird Environment Control Automation - VPD Made Easy!

NezA

Hi @NezA

Great post, I’ve just recently got the inkbird and I’m having troubles with temperature difference settings. If I have mine set to 25 degrees and the temperature difference is 4 degrees for cooling and heating it’s still trying to heat the tent when the temperature is set to 24.5 degrees for example.

not sure if you have experienced this before?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hey @MDOG

The temperature difference settings are called "temperature hysteresis" and "cooling back temperature" I have both of these set to the minimum value of 0.5c this means as soon as the temp exceeds 0.5c of my set value in either direction the thermostat will respond by either warming or cooling.

Hope this helps.

Hi @NezA

thanks for clearing that up, not sure if my unit is faulty as i have mine on at 4 degrees on both just for example and if it falls just one degree below or above one then it kicks in to heating or cooling which is quite strange as you would thing it would wait until it’s 29 degrees or 21 degrees.

Will give it a few hours as it might just need to settle potentially.

Thank you

• Like 1

@MDOG You probably don't want such a large temperature swing. An 8c swing is quite a lot.

My temps are pretty much constantly between 24-25c most of the time which is ideal for me.

If you want to heat to 29 then cool to 21 and rinse and repeat you can use the rules shown at the start for example: you can select, when device changes status > thermostat > current temperature 21> run device thermostat > setting temperature value 29.

Then pair that with another rule:

when device changes status > thermostat > current temperature 29> run device thermostat > setting temperature value 21.

This will basically automate your set value to achieve what I think you're after which is run your heater until 29c then run cooler until 21c over and over. 

Hope this helps

Edited by NezA
Tag
  • Like 1

@NezA oh sorry, those values were just to give an extreme example to see if it works as it should. My temps are bang on 25 at the moment. Will have to keep an eye on it. Thank you for the help :) 

I'm quite interested in this, I thought control over VPD was something achievable only in commercial enviroments.

Is this something I could run within a tent, or would it need more space?

3 minutes ago, unity said:

I'm quite interested in this, I thought control over VPD was something achievable only in commercial enviroments.

Is this something I could run within a tent, or would it need more space?

I'm running this in a 0.9x0.9x1.8 custom grow box I use an ultrasonic fogger to add humidity and an oil rad for heating at the moment my extraction is enough to dehumidify and cool the space I can't see why it wouldn't work in a tent check out my Twisted Biscuits diary to get a better idea of how I have it all setup very affordable way of doing things.

• Like 1

Thanks for this, I've decided to join the bandwagon. Am I right in saying you could have 2x 308 wifi (one for heat mat, one for ambient heater) controlled by the same app?

3 hours ago, twbud said:

Thanks for this, I've decided to join the bandwagon. Am I right in saying you could have 2x 308 wifi (one for heat mat, one for ambient heater) controlled by the same app?

Correct you can have multiple devices linked to the app I haven't tested this to see if it works however you can also run multiple heaters from one controller by plugging in a multi plug extension to the heater socket. I do this with my humidifier I have my ultrasonic fogger and a usb fan plugged into one socket.

Obviously this will not work if you want to set 2 independent temps for ambient and root zone, but I tend to find that as long as my ambient is 23c+ my root zone is usually fine. I just have a regular thermometer to monitor rather than a thermostat.

But the flexibility and possible combinations are all part of what makes these devices so great. Everyone can find their own way of using them and there's plenty of options to play around with. I'm pretty sure most growers could benefit by incorporating them into their setup one way or another.

Let us know how you get on running 2 thermostats from the app and if you have any issues

• Like 3

This is my first gear like this so forgive me if the question is dumb, but is the 308's probe affected by heat from the light if too close? I have the 308, an Aircomfort, and a cheapy thermometer in there. The thermometer and the Aircomfort are bang on, but the 308 seems to drift upwards by 1.5c even after calibration. The light is the only thing I can think of that'd cause it

(obviously this isn't an Inkbird support thread, but I figure if any other newbies like me read through it the info might be useful).

Hey @twbud apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

In short yes temp probes in direct light will be affected and read slightly higher than ambient I keep my probe among my canopy for this and other reasons however if you're getting a consistent 1.5 degree difference it shouldn't make much odds because you know your ambient will be 1.5 lower than it reads during lights on if that makes sense?

You'll get slightly different readings from various devices in various locations so you're better off taking several readings and working out an average across your grow space.

• Like 1