Attic grow set-up

Calypsos

11 hours ago, mysticriver said:

ive never heard of that before, so ill stick my neck RIGHT OUT & say...... 0%

mystic

That is what I like to here mate. I'm definitely over reading on shit. 

Sorry for all the Qs lads but had anyone ever had the inlet fan positioned inside the groom, still drawing from the outside but the actual unit inside. Or is this a big no no?

Obviously space would be given up but just curious as would help with the noise side of things potentially.

Nice1

Edited by Calypsos
Wording

11 hours ago, Calypsos said:

inlet fan positioned inside the groom

shouldn't be a problem, as long as you dont mind losing the space it'll take up inside there

mystic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

shouldn't be a problem, as long as you dont mind losing the space it'll take up inside there

mystic

Tidy. I think I can loose the space. 

Blowing in from the bottom and out towards the top. 

You think the point at which the air leaves the inlet fan will need ducting or can I got straight out the back of the fan?

On 26/05/2023 at 7:24 PM, Calypsos said:

Whats the liklihood of condensation clouds showing at the outlet during the winter period? And how do you all overcome this?

Seen it before with tumble dryers exhausting outside in the winter. My friend vents outside thru a flue pipe never seen his doing that .

21 hours ago, Calypsos said:

can I got straight out the back of the fan?

yes

edit- just be aware that if ur venting into the room, the r/h in the room will skyrocket & you'll either have to get a dehumidifier OR deal with the excessive moisture on the walls n mould

edit again- your in an attic so you should be OK [youll still have high r/h - it should be less of an issue in the attic]

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

yes

edit- just be aware that if ur venting into the room, the r/h in the room will skyrocket & you'll either have to get a dehumidifier OR deal with the excessive moisture on the walls n mould

edit again- your in an attic so you should be OK [youll still have high r/h - it should be less of an issue in the attic]

mystic

Sorry mate you mean the moisture on the walls in the grow room?

I'm venting from room below and out through the roof. 

I don't think I explained myself to well. Just wondering if having the bare unit inlet fan inside the groom needed ducting or something to spread the air coming in more evenly rather than straight off the fan as such?

35 minutes ago, Calypsos said:

I don't think I explained myself to well. Just wondering if having the bare unit inlet fan inside the groom needed ducting or something to spread the air coming in more evenly rather than straight off the fan as such?

Personally I’d have you intake fan that brings the air in from room below outside your grow room . And just the hole on the inside of the room venting in what I would add to that is running a filter box on the intake to keep out pests etc lady’s tights can work but the screens are easier to clean and replace on the GAS filter boxes. I’ve seen folk run a y piece as it goes into there grow room with BAC filter socks fitted to them and tied back flush to the grow room walls I don’t really see any benefit to that method and just dents your budget for no good reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devon Cream said:

Personally I’d have you intake fan that brings the air in from room below outside your grow room . And just the hole on the inside of the room venting 

Yeah cool, I get ya.

I'll have a look into a filter box, I was planning on using tights to be fair.

It was only to save me boxing in the fan really, It's a cloudline s6 so hopefully get is suspended and quietISH. 

1 hour ago, Calypsos said:

Yeah cool, I get ya.

I'll have a look into a filter box, I was planning on using tights to be fair.

It was only to save me boxing in the fan really, It's a cloudline s6 so hopefully get is suspended and quietISH. 

tights work ok but I know someone who has them pass thru the ducting and jamming his fan nearly causing a fire .

Also in the loft, haven't built a room but there are many variables for each and every person but that's a major rabbit hole lol

A. Insulate, in the loft this is crucial! Before I did, temps were reaching 45 centigrade last year in there during the 30-38 levels heatwave.

After insulating and wrapping in thermafoil, steady maximum of 30. When you insulate make sure to leave a gap between the tiles and insulation for air flow, as condensation can form without the gap.

B.Beyond that kit wise that again is entirely subjective, go with what suits your needs best. Personally I run LED in spring/summer and throw a HPS in for the colder months, rather the extra light AND heat combo, but during the cooler but more temperate months an old electric blanket does more than enough, and is very low wattage for its output.

C.Intake I have attached ducting to one side of the roof through a tile vent, adding a reducer to keep it fastened, and likewise the other side of the groom for outtake. I run ducting-intake fan- more ducting to lead the fresh air right into the grow space, and have my extractor on the floor to one side of the groom ducted outside, again reduced to fit the vent (my vents have a 3 inch tube inside the loft so I reduce my 4 inch intake to that, and outtake is 8 inch)

20 hours ago, Calypsos said:

my mistake

mystic

22 hours ago, blerie420 said:

Also in the loft, haven't built a room but there are many variables for each and every person but that's a major rabbit hole lol

A. Insulate, in the loft this is crucial! Before I did, temps were reaching 45 centigrade last year in there during the 30-38 levels heatwave.

After insulating and wrapping in thermafoil, steady maximum of 30. When you insulate make sure to leave a gap between the tiles and insulation for air flow, as condensation can form without the gap.

B.Beyond that kit wise that again is entirely subjective, go with what suits your needs best. Personally I run LED in spring/summer and throw a HPS in for the colder months, rather the extra light AND heat combo, but during the cooler but more temperate months an old electric blanket does more than enough, and is very low wattage for its output.

C.Intake I have attached ducting to one side of the roof through a tile vent, adding a reducer to keep it fastened, and likewise the other side of the groom for outtake. I run ducting-intake fan- more ducting to lead the fresh air right into the grow space, and have my extractor on the floor to one side of the groom ducted outside, again reduced to fit the vent (my vents have a 3 inch tube inside the loft so I reduce my 4 inch intake to that, and outtake is 8 inch)

Nice points mate.

It's a room inside the loft with plenty of air space all round. I didn't feel comfortable insulating between rafters tbh, wanted to keep it as separate as possible. 

LED is the way I've gone and some tubular heaters for the time being, very well insulated so fingers crossed it will retain plenty.

My intake is from the room below, hopefully this will help with any fluctuations during hot/cold weather or atleast make it easier to manage/maintain. I've got 6inch in 8inch out through chimney.

Once all squared up I'll get some photos up.

Nice1

• Like 2

Venting into chimneys lollol I remember helping my friend fit out his attic room . He heats with a multi fuel burner I said to him were put a hole saw thru it with a bit of metal pipe bent upwards towards the top of the chimney so he could still use the burner! Cup of tea time he said we went down to his living room rolling a joint and he made the tea he said I can hear air movement walks over to the burner opens it lollol fookin dropped the joint laughing and all the old ash over his boat race and over the living room lollol he vented out a flue with a lead slate we fitted in the end . Good times

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devon Cream said:

Venting into chimneys lollol I remember helping my friend fit out his attic room . He heats with a multi fuel burner I said to him were put a hole saw thru it with a bit of metal pipe bent upwards towards the top of the chimney so he could still use the burner! Cup of tea time he said we went down to his living room rolling a joint and he made the tea he said I can hear air movement walks over to the burner opens it lollol fookin dropped the joint laughing and all the old ash over his boat race and over the living room lollol he vented out a flue with a lead slate we fitted in the end . Good times

Haha good stuff mate!!