Attic grow set-up

Calypsos

6 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

@Calypsos

I assume your loft has a hatch? If so, then dangle the inlet ducting out of the hatch. I do this and it is very close to our bedroom door, which we leave open for fresh air and the CO2 we breathe out, is very beneficial for the plants. Saves you putting a hole in the ceiling.

Of course it isn't actually stealthy, but if we have visitors, I just pull the ducting up and close the loft door.

4 hours ago, 420Ted said:

As @Larry Badgeley states pulling air from house brings in co2 also think it gives u better climate control as for lights 2 lights I think will be better as u can adjust to different heights if needed and also angle slightly to the pitch of ur roof but another thing to think of is bar vs board them lumateks and all other bar type are big and heavy two of those plus plus filter is alot of weight on ur rafters that's why I mentioned @Gaijin grow them boards are light and far better/easier to move about plus loads are using them on here so u no what ur getting

54 minutes ago, Devon Cream said:

As kc stated best option for attics is air coming in from the bedroom below is better and if you can get your outtake to deliver outside is your best bet .

@Larry Badgeley great shout. I don't mind putting in a ceiling vent tbf as it will be tucked in above a wardrobe!

@420Ted i won't be touching the rafters mate as I'll be building inside the roof. I get why people do I to maximise space etc but I'm happy with building a house shaped box as such with the attic. I'll have a look at the ceiling joist to see if they need beefing up but they run ontop of x2 supporting walls so should be okay carrying the load. Two light units seem to be the way to go, appreciate your advice.

@Devon Cream lovely stuff. This is easily done. Hopefully the outtake will be via a roof tile. If i use an 8" outtake will i be able to get a reduction peice to take it from an 8" to 6" where it meets the tile vent? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Calypsos said:

Oh I've had a good read mate, stoked for you - will be taking plenty of pointers from your diary!

Do you rate AC infinity extraction? I've been in touch with them recently and they've said you won't be disappointed :D

Then you've seen I have an 8, a 6 and a 4 inch, plus a controller 67 and a 69. Obviously I've never used any other brands, so don't take my word for it. But there's enough people on here now that use and would recommend them :yep: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Then you've seen I have an 8, a 6 and a 4 inch, plus a controller 67 and a 69. Obviously I've never used any other brands, so don't take my word for it. But there's enough people on here now that use and would recommend them :yep: 

Cheers dude.

What do you use in regards to controllers/timing for all of your lighting? 

• Like 1

@Calypsos At the moment they are just on timers, but I've bought the "dongle" that came out recently (the type B was recommended for my lights) - hoping I can run the PAR+ lights through the 69 controller. Haven't had time to play around with it yet, though 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 10:54 PM, kronic420 said:

@Calypsos I was using growers ark but was having issues with it blocking up my pipes plants where perfect healthy and got my best yields with them but couldn’t be doing with sorting the blocked pipes/filters up all the time so changed to Dutch pro and it seems spot on so far no more blocked pipe work.

If your going to run auto pots or full hydro with a res in the loft then I’d say you definitely need a chiller and they ain’t cheap to buy or run. I think I only get away with high temps in my res because I’m using a drain to waste system so haven’t got the root/media sitting in hot water 24/7.

I started off with 50mm kingspan and it wasn’t enough insulation so added another 25mm and it’s still not enough really so the more the better, I bring air in from the bedroom below and vent through the chimney, when I first set up I tried extracting straight into the loft but it caused a lot of condensation to form up there so had to stop that. 

@kronic420

Hi kronic420

Can i pick your brains regarding your setup, what drain to waste system were/are you using? Any reason why you dont recycle the feed back into the res? Also do you use and copper mesh or filter to stop coco/SOIL entering the system at all? I know it been two years mate but help is appreciated. 

On 29/03/2023 at 7:34 PM, Calypsos said:

the Zeus 465w for a decent price aswell,

bro try to steer away from the zues 465W pro, im assuming its the 2.7 (older) version

I have 1(& others)

go elsewhere mate, u can do better for the money

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

Just now, mysticriver said:

bro try to steer away from the zues 465W pro, im assuming its the 2.7 (older) version

I have 1(& others)

go elsewhere mate, u can do better for the money

mystic

Cheer man, it was the 2.3 compact that I saw, was 375 which didn't think was all that bad. 

You think it's better to go 600w and atleast the full watt is there when needed?

Just now, Calypsos said:

better to go 600w

bro this is my plan, pay off my credit cards this year, upgrade to 2 X 600W pro something-or-other LED to replace my 2 x ~450W pro units

for a 2.4 X 1.2 area

so yes, if ya can afford it

the other thing to consider with the bigger 600W units is the, and I know ive been singing this tune for a while now, but its the actual size of the unit [~1200mm2] in comparison to the 900mm2 that the 450W units are, so with the smaller units there is a large drop-off at the edges, whereas the 600 fixtures fill the area fully

mystic

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

bro this is my plan, pay off my credit cards this year, upgrade to 2 X 600W pro something-or-other LED to replace my 2 x ~450W pro units

for a 2.4 X 1.2 area

so yes, if ya can afford it

the other thing to consider with the bigger 600W units is the, and I know ive been singing this tune for a while now, but its the actual size of the unit [~1200mm2] in comparison to the 900mm2 that the 450W units are, so with the smaller units there is a large drop-off at the edges, whereas the 600 fixtures fill the area fully

mystic

Yeah I get you mate. I've got a few quid to pay off aswell - soon racks up!

What about minimum head height for some 600s? 

22 hours ago, Calypsos said:

minimum head height for some 600s? 

id prolly be looking at about 500mm - do u mean the hanging height?

mystic

7 hours ago, mysticriver said:

id prolly be looking at about 500mm - do u mean the hanging height?

mystic

Sorry mate my bad, I mean what's the minimum grow room height you'd need for having 600s?

15 hours ago, Calypsos said:

minimum grow room height

I dont know, guess you wouldn't need much if ya train & keep 'em low (like I do)

500mm for the pots, 500 for hanging height & a bit more to accommodate the thickness of the light, dunno - 1.2m, summert like that

mystic

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Whats the liklihood of condensation clouds showing at the outlet during the winter period? And how do you all overcome this?

15 hours ago, Calypsos said:

Whats the liklihood of

ive never heard of that before, so ill stick my neck RIGHT OUT & say...... 0%

mystic

• Like 2