How do you guys do it!?!

Tomateo.grower

location plays a big part in growing in the garden. The patch where I grow is only over looked by the lovely 88 year old lady next door spare unused bedroom. I also give her the apples every year of my apple tree and the blackberries for which she make the best pies. Shes a very keen gardener (puts me and most people to shame) growing her own veg ect and i certainly wouldnt class her as stupid but shes never said a word about growing or when smoking outside. I have been her life line too at times and she knows im only a knock on the door or phone call away. 

My other neighbour is also sound and i dont say nothing about his son and daughter parking in my spaces and his pain in the arse dogs ( bark bark bark bark) 24/7 and the fact we all look after each other goes along way. basiclly we keep ourselves to ourselves and noses out. 

As for smell iv had 15+ in a greenhouse before now and the only time i could smell anything was only once inside imo smoking outside smells more yet noone seems to worry about that. 

my only concern is if they grow too tall and the housing bloke pays a visit to one of the neighbours but being autos they shouldnt get tall enough to stand out, not like a few years ago with my 7 footers lol lesson learnt there but only a slapped wrist in the end. 

large.DSCN6055.JPG

• Like 5

Just commit to it,don't say a word to anyone keep it somewhere in the garden out of view but plenty of sun ( I know but It can be done) and just relax and think of all the money you will be saving on shit weed from some dosser whos grown it in a shoe box.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, LivelyUpYourself said:

@Tomateo.grower definitely about weighing up the risk/reward. I grew in the garden the 3 years before this year with no issues, but found I (the mrs too..) worried too much about smell/neighbours for it to be worth a few extra ounces. 

Good idea to test it out with a couple autos, see how you feel. It's awesome being able to tend to the plants every day, give them that bit of extra care.. if it's too risky though like you say find a plot, get a gg on and make up the lost garden yield there :yep:

I'm thinking I'll be ok. But obviously if I can minimise the risk, all the better! Here to learn!

And yes that's the plan. Never grown before so  it's all a test, and it's only 2 plants, if easy to walk away if I don't enjoy it or gets to much. It's the smell I'm most concerned about. Bit after this run, guess I'll know what to expect and just as importantly, when.

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

But the real truth is, we all have massive cojones.

Fact.

Ha! I knew it!!!

20 hours ago, Inspiration101 said:

i try not to jinx myself by dwelling on such things.

Go for it or don't.

Don't live a life of anxiety and paranoia.

If you are paranoid then you have too many plants 

No jinxing here, touch wood!

I'm defo going for it! 1 month in from popping the seed onto water/wet paper towel. And the girls are outside. Maybe I should go a grow diary? 

Of I was to, what section would be best as it's an auto, in a (cheap plastic) greenhouse, outside? Thanks

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phoenix108 said:

I grew a couple last season and the missus went berserk! Since then she has been reading up on medicinal benefits, and now she's like ok cool, but keep them in the poly! Yh don't tell anyone not even close friends, also I've found growing outdoors my plants are always less pungent than an indoor grow, i keep my plants trained and grow lots of flowers, and herbs.. Also raspberries are great nice height to hide my grow behind, i have so many plants and flowers sometimes i lose track of where my girls are 

I'm thinking the same will happen when she finds out! I will also think about some other companion plants to slot in near by. Thanks for the advice!

5 hours ago, calculus said:

Why not go for low-smelling varieties? I know people seem to love the extreme pungent smelling varieties, but, imho, there are some very strong ones which don't smell much. Northern Lights, for example. Problem will not necessarily be directly from neighbours, but from criminals who'll smell it and try and break in to thieve it, causing eventual police involvement and problems!

Yes I actually am growing the northern lights auto! I'd ordered a similar low odour, but slightly fast growing seeds, bit they gave me a 'free upgrade'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rosebowl said:

location plays a big part in growing in the garden. The patch where I grow is only over looked by the lovely 88 year old lady next door spare unused bedroom. I also give her the apples every year of my apple tree and the blackberries for which she make the best pies. Shes a very keen gardener (puts me and most people to shame) growing her own veg ect and i certainly wouldnt class her as stupid but shes never said a word about growing or when smoking outside. I have been her life line too at times and she knows im only a knock on the door or phone call away. 

My other neighbour is also sound and i dont say nothing about his son and daughter parking in my spaces and his pain in the arse dogs ( bark bark bark bark) 24/7 and the fact we all look after each other goes along way. basiclly we keep ourselves to ourselves and noses out. 

As for smell iv had 15+ in a greenhouse before now and the only time i could smell anything was only once inside imo smoking outside smells more yet noone seems to worry about that. 

my only concern is if they grow too tall and the housing bloke pays a visit to one of the neighbours but being autos they shouldnt get tall enough to stand out, not like a few years ago with my 7 footers lol lesson learnt there but only a slapped wrist in the end. 

large.DSCN6055.JPG

Thanks for the advice.

Similar situation, where I could be seen is an elderly neighbor, but on the grow house it just looks like and other greenhouse, juat not transparent. And I'm glad to hear about the smell. I only open it the quickly look in. And no smell so far!

4 hours ago, terra420 said:

Just commit to it,don't say a word to anyone keep it somewhere in the garden out of view but plenty of sun ( I know but It can be done) and just relax and think of all the money you will be saving on shit weed from some dosser whos grown it in a shoe box.

shit weed from some dosser whos grown it in a shoe box! Made me laugh!!!

Have you chosen a particular strain yet ?      I only grow outdoors, both in the garden and the greenhouse and the smell is my only worry.  

I have been through numerous strains from various breeders and have my favs based on ease of growth, effect and smell.     

Good luck and get some pics up when you get started.    All the best :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tomateo.grower said:

Thanks for the advice.

Similar situation, where I could be seen is an elderly neighbor, but on the grow house it just looks like and other greenhouse, juat not transparent. And I'm glad to hear about the smell. I only open it the quickly look in. And no smell so far!

shit weed from some dosser whos grown it in a shoe box! Made me laugh!!!

those plastic green houses are great for veg but come flowering and near harvest best have it very well vented or you could end up with a pile of mush. 

Not saying they dont smell at all just that its not been over powering from my experience, but I live with farm fields nearby and oh boy that smells at times lol 

Edited by rosebowl
  • Like 1

@inspiration101

Thanks. I shall look into starting that soon.

@oldford

Yes I have northern lights auto. Wanted a quick, easy, and fast strain. These fit that bill. Altho wasn't what I ordered lol!

@rosebowl

Thanks again. I will keep an eye on them, what causes them to go to 'mush' ? And what could I do to prevent this, other than taking them out?

And thanks again everyone !

• Like 1

@Tomateo.growerI’m no expert as I’m doing my first grow but it’s important to make sure the humidity isn’t to high and risk bud rot. Think that’s whats meant by mush. I’ve got a dehumidifier to use. We bought it to dry out damp in our house when we moved in so it’ll come in handy for my greenhouse grow.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tomateo.grower said:

@rosebowl

Thanks again. I will keep an eye on them, what causes them to go to 'mush' ? And what could I do to prevent this, other than taking them out?

Bud rot chap, and trust me that can happen over night. i cut slots in the sides and back a good 3 inches deep and kept the front open , humidity a fuker last few weeks in these 

5 minutes ago, rosebowl said:

Bud rot chap, and trust me that can happen over night. i cut slots in the sides and back a good 3 inches deep and kept the front open , humidity a fuker last few weeks in these 

I've read about this, bud rot. But obviously never experienced it. So need make sure it doesn't get to sweaty in there correct? When they flower anyway? In veg it's ok?