Become a tester of Alfemco genetics.

Amarillo slim

First of all I would like to start with a brief introduction for those not familiar with Alfemco...

Alfemco is the fruition of a life long passion for breeding high quality cultivars for low maintenance outdoor gardens at high latitudes. With an emphasis on hardiness and resistance to adverse conditions, coupled with easy to manicure ‘indoor’ like flower production. 

What else makes Alfemco different?

A) A minimum of several generations of breeding prior to release, selecting from populations of 100+ females from F2 onwards.

B) Predominantly implementing re-veg and reversal in order to self selected individuals. – Giving the best possible results and progress from each generation.  

C) Parent plants are thoroughly tested for any intersex problems by exposure to controlled environmental stressors before they are considered for use in a breeding program. 

D) Many traits considered in selection. An individual is never selected because ‘They’ll do’, or because they are exceptional in only one or two qualities.  

E) Storage and packaging are purely geared towards the best possible protection of the seeds, to prolong life span and avoid germination issues.

F) No change of parent plants used for seed production (unless otherwise clearly stated).  – Meaning absolute consistency you can rely on time and time again.

So by now hopefully its clear who these seeds will be of interest to, but a couple more things so as not to waste anybody’s time. 

1. The main requirement to be considered is that you have a clear history of creating diaries and/or giving regular updates and uploading pics of your grows to relevant threads on UK420.   

2. The seeds that will be made available for testing are new untested creations, and as such there is no guarantee on their performance.

I would also like to make it clear from the beginning, that any seeds given out by me as testers are just that.  They are not for re-sale or sharing, not for sitting in a fridge. Nor are they for hacking or breeding unless Ive stated otherwise publicly or personally to you in PM. 

The idea here is to create a mutually beneficial relationship, where by some growers will get to experience some of the latest work prior to any public release, for no monetary cost. And I get to see how the genetics preform in more environments than I would otherwise.  This extra data is invaluable to me and so I will no doubt do things like send a small number of already tested free seeds out with the testers to say thank you, or if preferable, offer a free pack(s) of whatever test seeds turned out to be your favourite for growing the following season. 

This isn’t about marketing, its simply a a great way to gather more data for R&D. I would like to ask everybody to be as honest and transparent as possible with their results and opinion.  If they’re slower than other lines under same conditions, mention it, post a pic. If you find a male flower, mention it, post a pic. Obviously if they’re the best thing you’ve ever grown,  you can mention that too and by all means post some pics.  But ultimately what’s helpful to me, you, and everyone else, is to give the most accurate and honest feedback possible, whether good or bad. 

I’m not too fussed about people documenting their results in a nice neat diary here (although please feel free to) as long as the grow is documented somewhere on the site.

As many of the seeds for testing will initially be in short supply, there will be a limit to how many I can give out.  So if anyone who’s interested could simply reply saying so here, with the following info;

1.    Latitude (https://www.latlong.net)

2.    Number of plants they can realistically take.  (All seeds to be grown out)

3.    Preference of finish; early, standard, late.  (end of Sept – end of Oct. )

4.    Anything else deemed relevant. E.g plot type / microclimates etc. 

2020 outdoor specifics.

Most of this current round of seeds for testing are what I refer to as ‘traditional photoperiod plants’ - mostly suited to lower latitudes (45-52s) , as well as to open airy and fully lit locations.  If you’re up at 53 or higher then your time and energy might be better spent growing photosensitive or semi-auto varieties like the pure MWF.

These tester seeds are yet to be harvested and cured,  but should be ready just in time for this outdoor season (early may). They are all hybrids of this special MWF f3(S1) selected last year. 

large_MWF.JPG

This individual has since undergone further testing indoors to asses resistance to certain pests/diseases as well as for intersex (hermi) tendencies.  In each case, the other parent used in the cross has also been specially selected and in most cases tested in varying environments including tests for intersex.  Each of these parents has been carefully chosen with the intention of improving certain qualities in the MWF line, as well as to change finish times to allow for staggered harvesting.  For now Ive decided to keep the exact heritage of the parents in question private so that people’s perceptions and subsequent opinions and descriptions of the plants are not tainted by their expectations.  

The three main lines that will be given for testing are:

Alfemco 1 – Higher yield and resin production than pure MWF (late sept*) 

Alfemco 2 – Increased vigour, higher yielding than pure MWF (mid oct*) 

Alfemco 3 –More psychoactive and terpene rich than pure MWF, (late oct.*)

* All finish dates are only rough estimates for latts 50-52  N/S. Higher lats resulting in later finish and vice versa.   

Couple extra things worth mentioning:

The other parent used for 2 showed relatively low septoria resistance. All crosses will likely show less resistance to botrytis (bud rot) than the pure MWF. 

Thanks in advance for any takers, I will pick a few people who I think will be the best fit for the current test seeds, and obviously any questions just ask.  Cheers 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 32

Thanks for the replies guys.  

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Bud on a stick.

Yep, thats the idea. In this line I am selecting for apical dominance (less branching) which is to do with the concentration of auxins (a plant hormone) in the growing tip. A trait just like anything else.

At f2 the main plant I selected was -among other things - the least branchy and fastest flowering individual, and now from the selfing of that individual I have again selected for one of the least branchy.

Out of the F4s (S2s) Im currently working with there will be even more phenotypes with this lack of branching and so on.  

If on the other hand I had selected for branching, or been indifferent to this trait, things would be quite different.  To give you an idea, here was the individual with the most extreme lateral branching out of the F2s.

large.M.JPG

As you can see, had I bred with this plant it would have taken the line on a whole different trajectory... 

As well as lack of branching the selected F3 plant in the pic you commented on has elongated internodes and leaf stalks that suggest higher amounts of gibberellins (another plant hormone), something which is also a desirable trait. 

Both of these things lead to the 'bud on stick' phenotype that you see, and as they are both traits that can change due to environment, it highlights the fact that consistency in the environment when selecting among individuals, as well as further testing these individuals under different conditions is essential in selecting the best genotypes.   

3 hours ago, Russjackell said:

Gonna be putting a few mwf out this year, I’m shit at diaries but will keep you updated as and when I can

Much appreciated :yep:

2 hours ago, Tommy tucker said:

Ohhhhh. I'm tempted. But I'm living in Portugal at the moment.

Ive got countless other projects on the go included many things that are actually more suited to lower lats.  Ive already got a couple good people testing things for me in central Portugal, a mountainous micro-climate on the Spanish border, and near Madrid (all around lat 40n). Wether your north or south of that, Im sure I will have something suited to your location in need of testing. If you're interested just let me know. It would be cool to see what can be achieved with actual sun.  Cheers 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Any indoor varieties in the pipeline slim?

Just wondering like..

Ive got a coupe projects on the go that certainly would be more suited to indoor or places nearer the equator yes.  One in particular should be really quite different to most things currently available/popular, so will be interesting to see what people make of it.  And also working on an auto that again would likely do best indoors or hotter places. All things that take a lot of time though.  And autos in particular are a bastard to breed.  But will keep you in mind for anything indoor.  Cheers

• Like 5

I'll put my name in the hat, asides a break recently due to email password issues I've been active here since about 2003/4 under various handles you may remember. Thanks for consideration

• Like 3

Id love to sounds like a fantastic company aswell respect :hippy:. But already think I am rocking the boat a little with my plots sizes. If 3 or 4 would be ok though id like to try my luck with alfemco1.

• Like 1

Ok I fancy trying these.

ive done a diary, ( see my sig)

im doing my first outdoor grow this year of which a diary will be done for it.

i have another plot that I could grow about 20 or more plants in.

im at latitude 50

I’d prefer early finishers but don’t mind too much.

if I’m chosen I’ll document as much as I can.

it might be good to see how a novice outdoor grower gets on with your seeds.

• Like 2

Disability stops play again!

I live in prime outdoor grow territory but cant make it to the bathroom without moaning lol

Good luck guys,sounds fun but hoping some indoor beans develop along the way.

Edited by 2Fat2EatThat
  • Like 4