Delagdo's Gelato & More Autos

delagdo

It happens every now and again, that's mother nature. Still the remainder are thriving and you're nearly halfway there already. :sorry:

• Like 4

Wow I missed so many updates they look lovely mate your pics are great, shame about the hermie think I've got about 3 seeds in my cream caramel I don't mind though atleast it wasn't full of em both black creams was fine looks like you caught yours in time though.

• Like 3

Thanks guys! It's not too much of a problem really, I think the plants will appreciate the extra space and be healthier for it. I should still get plenty of yield. The canopy was practically full by now with six plants, and now there is five it will only take a few days and they'll be fighting each other again.

I am not sure what might have triggered it. I have a few ideas:

- Supercropping? I've done it many times before without problems but maybe it caused stress?

- High feed level? I went up to EC 1.3 for a few days and am at 1.2 now. I've gone higher before but perhaps it's too much for this plant?

- Just one of those things?

I've been lucky in the past, I have grown photoperiods of several strains from different seedbanks years ago, and more recently multiple auto strains by Sweet Seeds plus a few from other breeders. The only other time I have ever seen male flowers was my first ever grow in 2008 - I grew three Mandala Hash Plants for six weeks from seed. I flipped them, then went away for a long weekend. When I got back I opened the wardrobe and found I had raised three boys and no girls, that felt much worse. :doh: I made a couple of grams of headache-inducing hash, and since then I always bought feminized seeds. But I knew exactly what to look for - it's always a learning experience.

I've been thinking a lot about this possibility since I started this year's grow. One of the non-Sweet Seeds plants in the tent is quite a freak which I've been thinking of culling almost since day 1. I've been keeping a real close eye on that one, paranoid that she would grow balls, but I really didn't expect the Gelato to! I'd been thinking, I've never seen a hermie yet, but surely it's inevitable if I keep growing, and rolling the dice this many times?

I think hermies are a natural occurrence - not the norm, but not abnormal either - like for example with human pregnancy and twins. Most pregnancies are of a single child but a repeated fraction of them are twins or more, and human treatments (ie fertility treatment in the case of pregnancy) can make it more likely to happen. With plants, some have male flowers, some have female, and sometimes they have both. I thought, I must see it sooner or later so I was keeping a close eye out for this, especially with a mutant plant lurking in the corner.

I don't want to stop supercropping since it has worked well for other plants, and I don't plan to make any major changes to my auto feed schedule. Maybe it was something I did, but moving forward it seems more attractive to blame random chance than anything else, and just keep watching the others with care.

• Like 6

Sorry to read about the herm dude hope it was just a freak thing. The others look like they will make up for it! I've super cropped a couple of branches on my gelato recently so I'll keep a close eye  :eek:  

• Like 2

Day 37 to Day 40

I am pleased to say I have not found any hermaphrodite flowers on any of my remaining plants, at least yet/as far as I can see. :sweaty: My original Sweet Gelato Auto is looking fantastic and full of female-only flowers.

large.5e49d3451b02d_d40sga1.jpgSweet Gelato Auto, day 40

large.5e49d34cbe41b_d39sga1.jpgSweet Gelato Auto, day 39

I set the humidifier up outside the tent on day 37 to see what difference it would make. Not much - the air going in from the house is already fairly dry, and humidity was staying around 71% most of the time which is too high. Having five plants again now, as I originally planned, I have been able to move the dehumidifier into the tent and did this on day 39. Drying the warm wet air from the tent is having a great impact. It has a built in digital humidistat which can be set at 40%, 50%, 60% (or you can run it constantly). Running at 60% is making the air pretty much exactly that at the top of the tent, and slightly dryer (eg 55%) at root level. It drops down when the tent is opened and quickly returns to those constant levels soon after.

The dehumidifier raises the temperature a couple of degrees, so I have adjusted the heating to compensate. It's typically 28°C but I had a maximum of 30°C when I first set it up inside, and the minimum the past few days has been 20°C with lights off.

large.5e49d34a651a9_d40twa.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 40

large.5e49d3472d300_d40twa2.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 40

large.5e49d33b128d3_d39twa.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 39

I decided to cut the food slightly on day 37, to 0.7ml each of Gro, Micro and Bloom, which is EC 1.1. I am not sure if feed levels contributed to the hermie but I think it's possible.

The Ice Cool Auto is growing well, but I have noticed the top of the buds are starting to look a bit leafy and don't have so many white pistils. There's still plenty on the lower bits. The other plants aren't doing this, and it wasn't any closer to the lamp so I don't think it's heat/light. Hopefully it's just part of its normal development (I have had similar looking plants before) but I thought it could be a sign of being a little overfed.

large.5e49d342e1cd3_d40ica.jpgIce Cool Auto, day 40

large.5e49d33d4cef6_d40ica2.jpgIce Coo Auto, day 40

large.5e49d3ced4c0c_d40ica3.jpgIce Cool Auto, day 40

I'm very happy with the way things are going. I hope you are enjoying it too. We're just coming up to the good bit :yep:

• Like 12

Day 41 and Day 42

Here's a few quick pictures of the developing flowers I took over the past couple of days. It seems hard to believe it has only been six weeks since they germinated, looking at them now.

large.5e4c7438a1908_d41ica.jpgIce Cool Auto, day 41

I moved to a 1:2:3 ratio of Gro:Micro:Bloom for flowering on day 41, at EC 1.1, and the usual pH target of 6.1-6.2.  It's been between 20°C and 29°C, and humidity beween 49% and 72%. It's usually about 27°C and 60% unless it's lights off or I have the tent open.

large.5e4c743f3ce8a_d41twa.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 41

large.5e4c743b647e2_d41twa2.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 41

I have some leaf damage on the Sweet Trainwreck Auto in a couple of patches. I am not sure what this is but I would suppose some problem with nutrient uptake, possibly calcium? This is the worst bit:

large.5e4c743d75f7a_d41twaleafdamage.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 41

My other plants don't have this, at least not yet, though they do all have at least some red stems. I am sure that must indicate something about my environment or nutrients.

large.5e4c7440e4b03_d42sga1.jpgSweet Gelato Auto, day 42

large.5e4c74430aa9f_d42sga2.jpgSweet Gelato Auto, day 42

Thanks for looking! :yep:

• Like 13

Frosting up nicely mate. The plant with the Ca problem looks on the verge of being heat stressed and I'd hazard a guess that this might have caused a Ca lockout. Feed levels seem fine, looking at the others :yep:

• Like 4

Thank you very much @Punta Roja. I'm really enjoying learning photography via this project and I've been experimenting with different lighting, camera settings, and processing techniques. I think it's a great skill to have especially with a young family. My photos have had a bit of an inconsistent quality as I've tried different things but I think they are improving overall as time goes on. There's a big difference when you go back over my previous diaries, with the photo quality and also with the plants that are in them - both have got better together, thanks to help I've had here.

For example!:

Thank you so much @jadenugs - what you say makes perfect sense. It does look a lot like that. It is affecting the part of the plant right in the middle of the tent, directly under the lamp. I also have now noticed the slightest tiniest bit of damage on another plant, my Dinafem White Widow Auto. Again, it is on part of the plant close to the lamp. Also, the affected plants are the two plants nearest the dehumidifier, which is putting out hot dry air underneath them.

I know it was too hot when I put the dehumidifier in, and it initially rose to 30°C, so I reduced the heating to compensate. To take further action, today I've raised the light another couple of inches, so it is now almost as high as it can go (I still have some plants raised an inch or two to even out the canopy). I have rearranged the three USB fans I have for air circulation - before they were all above the canopy, pointing at the walls. Now one is underneath by the dehumidifier, and one is above, pointing in the middle of the tent, as well as one at the top still. I have also turned up the extraction, from 85% to full.

@jadenugs you are intelligent and observant, as well as helpful and kind, and I really think there's a good chance you've solved my problem :hug:

• Like 5