Delagdo's Gelato & More Autos

delagdo

Introduction, Aims and Strains

¡Hola amigos!

Muchas gracias to Sweet Seeds for again running this great contest, helping to build a community and offering such extremely generous prizes!

I have now reached a point growing autos where I can be self sufficient with one successful grow a year in my tent. This works very well for me, as I grow in a spare room en-suite and I have to fit in grows between having guests stay. I have  a window between now and April which fits wonderfully with the competition. So, hopefully this grow will be it for 2020 and I won't need a repeat. I am going to grow five plants, and three will be Sweet Seeds - one each of these strains:

large.5e16488b2b034_allseeds.jpg

Sweet Seeds strains I am growing: Ice Cool Auto, Sweet Trainwreck Auto and Sweet Gelato Auto

I must say a huge thank you to Sweet Seeds for these seeds, as I was given them (and the delightful tote bag to keep them in) as prizes in last year's competition. I haven't tried any of them before but each of them sounds very appealing. I'm looking forward to trying new things with this grow.

large.5e1647f2326c2_ICAseeds.jpg

Ice Cool Auto seeds

"Diesel" strains are something I haven't ever tried so hopefully Ice Cool Auto will provide a good representative. I like the sound of an auto strong in smell, effect, and resin production, and I am looking for a hybrid high, so this sounds like it might suit me well.

Genetically I know it is a cross between an Ice Cool clone and Fast Bud #2 Auto. I have grown Fast Bud #2 Auto before which gave a nice fruity/bubblegum type flavour - if it came out anything like that I wouldn't mind.

large.5e1647eeedd82_TWAseeds.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto seeds

Another version of famous variety that I have not tried. Another American strain  - there's a bit of a theme developing! Again, I thought Sweet Trainwreck Auto sounds interesting and I am hoping it will provide me with something powerful and tasty in auto form.

large.5e1647ebc6d13_SGAseeds.jpg

Sweet Gelato Auto seeds

Yet more American genetics I haven't tried. I have read the original US Gelato line was crossed with Killer Kush Auto to produce this strain, and Killer Kush Auto is one of my favorites, so I am most excited about this one.

large.5e1647e78a365_SGAseed.jpg

Sweet Gelato Auto seed

Sweet Gelato Auto is a '5G' strain, which is representative of the number of generations of breeding and selection that have gone into producing the autoflowering strains. This should mean improved stability, consistency, strength and quality.  I've always found Sweet Seeds to be great in all those areas and that's because they clearly do put the effort in to breeding and seed production as autoflowering pioneers. It's brilliant to see them continue developing and pushing forward in this area and another reason I am most excited for this one.

• Like 25

Nice start Delagdo! I will be popping a gelato auto also in the coming weeks so I'll be keeping an extra close eye on this one :) 

I wish you all the best of luck, not that I imagine you'll need it going off previous comps.

You still loving the vapcap? 

• Like 5

Equipment, Germination and Day 1

I put the seeds in tapwater on Saturday evening and put them in the airing cupboard. After 24 hours I transferred the seeds into old Root Riot cubes I had rehydrated. I covered these with a plastic container and put these back in the airing cupboard, where it stays around 24-28°C.

The Sweet Gelato Auto and the Ice Cool Auto seeds are all large. The Sweet Trainwreck Auto seeds are smaller in comparison, but are about average compared to others in my collection. The Ice Cool Auto seeds had a slightly greener look that the others, but were nice and dark and did not look immature in any way.

large.5e1654f7c3097_d0rootriotcubes.jpg

Root Riot cubes

I tidied and cleaned the room where the grow was going to be. I gave my airpots a hose down in the shower and I unpacked my growing gear:

large_Gear.jpg

Growing tent and equipment

I am using my Hydrolab 120SX tent, which fits nicely in the awkward L-shaped, sloped-ceiling room. The footprint is 120cm x 60cm and it's fairly short, 160cm. It will be lit with a Philips 315w CMH in a Maxibright Focus reflector. I have an old Chaysol 5 inch centrifugal fan with a big Mountain Air filter, SMS controller and Phonictrap ducting. I have a humidifer for the early stages, and a dehudifier for later on.

All the seeds had germinated today so I put the tent up and put them in, and I am calling this day 1:

large.5e1654ffd16e2_d1tent.jpg

The tent on day 1

I am using airpots for the three Sweet Seeds strains, with about 9 litres of coco (Canna Professional) in each. One of my other two non-SS seeds is in an airpot, the other is in a fabric pot since I don't have any more airpots and nor did the growshop.

I have an oil filled radiator near the tent and I am keeping the temperature around 26°C in the tent. The humidifier is on and helping keep it around 50-60% on the readings.

I put the seedings into their final pots and watered each one with a can full (around 600ml) of nutrient solution this morning. This was EC 0.7 (base 0.4), composed of 0.25ml/l GH FloraGro, Micro and Bloom, and 2.5ml/l Plant Magic Plus Stimulator, pH'd to 6.2.

Here's some pictures from this evening:

large.5e1654fd504b6_d1sga.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 1

:( This seed germinated but unfortunately then sent its taproot straight up out of the Root Riot cube. I messed around with it and ended up turning it over and very likely killing it. I will be surprised if it survives but I can only hope. And also I have placed another Sweet Gelato Auto seed in water today.

large.5e1654fa5c2a4_d1ica.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 1

I am not sure why the first true leaves don't look very nice with white tips. Perhaps it's because of the old Root Riot cubes, and I squeezed all the nutrients out rehydrating them, or it doesn't like the tapwater that went in? Or maybe it didn't like going straight from the dark cupboard to the bright tent? I am not sure but it was the right way up at least, so it could be worse!

large.5e165501ee08a_d1twa.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 1

This is defying its name and is the best of the bunch!

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, Openairbud said:

Nice start Delagdo! I will be popping a gelato auto also in the coming weeks so I'll be keeping an extra close eye on this one :) 

I wish you all the best of luck, not that I imagine you'll need it going off previous comps.

You still loving the vapcap? 

Hi @Openairbud thank you, that's nice!

You bet I am! The vapcap is still what I use every day. I mostly use a ti tip in a hula stem, and I use an induction heater (the SJK dental wax tool heater) but I do use my Omni sometimes especially out and about. I also have the Pax 3, and the Mighty that I got with my Sweet Seed points last year, and I also bought a Milaana cheap secondhand when the opportunity came up, but none of these work for me quite like the vapcap does.

• Like 7

Cheers mate!

Welcome to the competition :yep:

Very cool to have you on board one more time :D It's going to be great ;)

All the best with it and sweet smokes :oldtoker:

tommy

• Like 4

Hopefully the Gelato recovers, but it seems like your tent could support a 6th seed anyway. ;)    Good luck!

• Like 4

Day 2

I have good news with the Sweet Gelato Auto - it seems to have survived. The stem had elongated and the seed raised itself up out of the cube a few millimeters this morning. The shell looked a bit loose, so I helped it off this afternoon. This it what it looked like this evening:

large.5e17ae4e1ddc8_d2sga.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 2

It looks happy enough, but it does look like it might want to speak to Seymour.

When I checked the other Sweet Gelato Auto seed in the airing cupboard I found this, 36 hours after I put it in the water:

large.5e17ae548b977_sga2seed.jpg
Extra Sweet Gelato Auto seed, day 2

It's eager. I've got space for it just about. I ran six plants last time and it was a squeeze. I think (/hope) five would fill the tent, and I don't think I would get more yield with six, but I will keep it since it clearly does want to grow!

I am very pleased to continue my 100% Sweet Seeds germination rate. I have just added up my Sweet Seeds personal record - 11 strains, a total of 20 seeds, all germinated, and so far 19 of them have sprouted, and now we are waiting for this final one which went in a Root Riot cube this evening:

large.5e17ae529ad84_sga2seed2.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto seedling enjoying a swim, day 2

The Ice Cool Auto is looking fine. The tiny white tips seem less of an issue now some healthy green tissue has expanded a bit:

large.5e17ae4b12d9c_d2ica.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 2

The Sweet Trainwreck Auto is looking mighty fine too:

large.5e17ae50918de_d2twa.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 2

Thank you for looking! I am looking forward to catching up with your grows :yep:

• Like 18

Very nice start to your grow mate ;)

I enjoyed following last year so I'll look forward to watching this one unfold.

All the best :yep:

• Like 4