Delagdo's Gelato & More Autos

delagdo

Nice growing mate. Your plants are buzzing and the pics are great ;)

Thanks for the detailed updates, helps none coco growers like myself learn the ropes.

All the best :yep:

• Like 2

Day 25 to Day 27

I tied down the Ice Cool Auto and Sweet Trainwreck Auto on day 25 to begin LST.

large.5e38aaf65786a_d27icaties.jpg
Ice Cool Auto 48 hours after tying down, day 27

large.5e38aafb02fee_d27ica.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 27

The Sweet Trainwreck Auto folded over sharply and it's almost supercropped - has a nice knuckle:

large.5e38aaedc3ad0_d26twa.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto stem, day 26

large.5e38aae76aa25_d27twa.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 27

It has lots of sidebranching, and budsites starting:

large.5e38ab06afc3f_d27twabudsite.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 27

I watered on day 25 with EC 1.1 again. I bumped up the food slightly to EC 1.2 today keeping it on the veg ratio still (1.05ml/l Gro, 0.7ml/l Micro, 0.35ml/l Bloom, pH 6.5). Humidity has swung about a bit about the past few days, and has been between 45% up to a maximum recorded 78%. Temperature has been typically 27°C with the lights on, up to 29°C maximum and down to a lowest 20°C at times with lights off.

large.5e38aaff69cdc_d27sga1.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto 1, day 27

Both Sweet Gelato Autos are not tied down, not yet. The first is too small and I might not tie it down at all, depending on how it grows. I should tie the second one down soon but I am not sure quite what to do yet since it's in a fabric pot without any handles. Maybe I should put a belt around it?

large.5e38ab0383914_d27sga2.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto 2, day 27

:yep: Thanks for looking at my diary!

• Like 12

Day 28 to Day 30

I tied the younger, Sweet Gelato Auto main stem down on day 28. I made a hole in the pot with a hole punch to hook the green tie onto. The side branches are really going for it and getting taller these past few days:

large.5e3c9e28bd116_d29sga2.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto 2, day 29

Today is day 30 and I measured the height as a maximum of 39cm, which is the tallest sidebranch, but there are a few others not far behind. This is the biggest of the four plants despite being four days younger than the rest - the Sweet Trainwreck Auto is now 33cm at the tallest sidebranch, and the Ice Cool Auto is 29cm.

In comparison the first Sweet Gelato Auto I started is less than half the size of her younger sister at 19cm - and that is the full height of the main stem, since she isn't tied. Still, she is a beautiful, compact plant and seems very healthy.

large.5e3c9e1db9990_d29sga1.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto 1, day 30

Temperature has been the usual range of 29°C maximum and 21°C minimum. Humidity has had similar spikes, typically it is 60%-70% but I have recorded 79%. The low of 45% is when the lights are off and the humidifier is off. I am not too worried about the high levels, since when this is happening the plants look really happy and are raising their leaves in praise up towards the lamp, but very soon I will take the humidifier out.

large.5e3c9e2d89dc2_d29twa.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 29

I went up with the nutrients again, to EC 1.3 on day 29 (1.2ml/l Gro, 0.8ml/l Micro, 0.4ml/l Bloom, pH 6.1). Then I watered again on day 30, moving from watering every 48 hours, to a daily cycle. I try to do it in the evening before the lights go on.

large.5e3c9e34438f3_d29ica.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 29

The photos in my last update were a bit of an experiment with a different exposure technique I had read about, which I don't think was much of a success. In comparison I am much happier with this batch, though I did something new this time too. Usually my photography light source is my grow lamp, but these were taken outside the tent.  I bought a flash for £20 from the local electronics shop yesterday, and I used it for the first time last night to take these. :photo: I am pleased with the results so far, but I feel like I have a lot to learn still.

Thank you for looking at my plants with me! :yep:

• Like 10

Day 31 and Day 32

large.5e3f3fe84f937_d31ica.jpgIce Cool Auto, day 31

large.5e3f3fedb8744_d32ica.jpgIce Cool Auto, day 32

I put the nutrients back down to EC 1.2 on day 31 after seeing a few white tips across most of the plants. I am still feeding a 3-2-1 Gro-Micro-Bloom ratio for veg, since they are still growing mostly stem and leaves, though you can see them all establishing flowers too now.

large.5e3f3ff9aca43_d32twa2.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 32

large.5e3f3fe500002_d32twa.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 32

I took the humidifier out on day 31, and the environment has been nice without it for the past couple of days: typically 26°C and 60% RH, maximums of 28°C and 68% RH, minimums 21°C and 48% RH. It's good having the space in the tent back as the canopy fills out. I have evened up the height with stacks of old books. Here's how the two Sweet Gelato Autos compare, the younger is on the left:

large.5e3f3ff7df8a7_d32sgas.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 2 and Sweet Gelato Auto 1, day 32

large.5e3f3ff0842a9_d32sga1.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 1, day 32

I'm very glad to have room to keep both of these plants, despite their difference in size they both look great.

large.5e3f3ff2aa719_d32sga22.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 2, day 32

large.5e3f3ff4e0b3e_d32sga2.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 2, day 32

Here's how the four Sweet Seeds plants fit in the tent now:

large.5e3f3febae977_d32groupshot.jpgTop: Ice Cool Auto, Sweet Gelato Auto 1
Bottom: Sweet Gelato Auto 2, Sweet Trainwreck Auto (day 32)

• Like 12

I'm sorry to tell you that... It's all right! (but...But don't overfeed them.) :P

You're doing great. Keep it up! :hippy:

Sweet smokes,

-Apolo

• Like 4

Day 33 to Day 36

Hello! First lets look over the plants again in the same places to see four days growth, before looking at each plant:

large.5e44869b3e971_d36groupshot.jpgTop: Ice Cool Auto, Sweet Gelato Auto 1
Bottom: Sweet Gelato Auto 2, Sweet Trainwreck Auto (day 36)

They are bigger, bushier, and more developed, and a darker tone of green, as the increased feed levels set in with the latest leaf growth.

large.5e4486a36b457_d36sga1.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 1, day 36

large.5e4486a193706_d36sga12.jpg

Sweet Gelato Auto 1, day 36

It's great watching the plants get bigger and more developed every day, and smelling them too now. I've had a cold for the past three weeks, but even so I get a nice strong whiff of everything when I open the tent lately. Hopefully I'll see the end of this bug soon and get my senses back fully at just the right time.

large.5e4486a5545f2_d36sga2.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 2, day 36

large.5e448696ea4ea_d35sga22.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 2, day 35

large.5e44869949fc2_d35sga23.jpgSweet Gelato Auto 2, day 35

It's been cold outside with the storm over the weekend, and then we've had a bit of snow and hail since. I've cranked the heating up slightly but it's still been a little cooler in the tent, mostly 25-26°C, maximum 27°C and minimum 20°C. Humidity has been between 55% and 76% but I am finding it is often over 70%, so it will be time to set the dehumidifier up shortly, very soon after the humidifier was taken out.

On day 33 I switched the nutrients over from the veg ratio, to an intermediate ratio before full flowering. This is 0.75ml/l each of Gro, Micro and Bloom, to give an EC of 1.2, which I pH to 6.1 or 6.2 every day when I make each batch. I am right at the upper limit here, I think. I like their current dark green colour and thought they were a little pale earlier, but maybe I should bring it down a fraction now they aren't as light.

large.5e448750a97e2_d36twa.jpgSweet Trainwreck Auto, day 36

I think the plants are looking nice and healthy overall though a small number of the early leaves are dying off, as in the above image, at the bottom. I don't mind this so much at this stage. The lower levels are very shaded now the canopy is full so these leaves aren't doing much work absorbing light.

The old leaves are a store of mobile nutrients, and as the plant grows upwards it can reabsorb these and use them in new growth. This happens and they start looking like the above, I give them a gentle tug to see if they are ready to come off - the plant will naturally release them through the process of abscission and they come off easily. If they don't come of easily I just leave them and try again tomorrow. I tried the obvious one in the picture above (lowest leaf bottom right) but it's not ready, another day or two maybe.

large.5e44869f9cb27_d36ica.jpgIce Cool Auto, day 36

large.5e44869d744dd_d36ica2.jpgIce Cool Auto, day 36

I've been inspired a little this update by @2Fat2EatThat who pointed out in their brilliant and entertaining (or should I say enter-train-ing :D) diary that this is Sweet Seeds, who have a colourful fun image, in contrast to some of the dark and moody branding often seen in this industry. With that in mind I decided to try some colourful backgrounds to liven things up a bit. Hope you have enjoyed the results!

• Like 9

Day 36 contd.

Unfortunately I have a further update today as I have just noticed something in my tent, as I was taking a break from draining the runoff to gaze at my plants. I spotted this:

large.5e4495ce6eef8_d36sga22.jpg

Sweet Gelato Auto 2, day 36

large.5e4495d0bbfc7_d36sga23.jpg

Sweet Gelato Auto 2, day 36

That is a shame as it was doing so well! However I could do with the extra room in my tent for the remaining five plants, so I have no worries about putting it on the compost heap. I originally started with five and I only put this extra one in as insurance after trouble with the original Sweet Gelato Auto seedling. The tent should still be full by the end anyway.

I pulled off about ten male flowers I could see dotted about the lower parts. None appeared to be mature and shedding pollen yet. :sweaty:

Oh well! This is my first ever hermie plant, so I can tick another first off the list lol

• Like 7