Delagdo's Gelato & More Autos

delagdo

Day 53 to Day 57

Hello! Time for an update. The plants are moving into their final stage. There has been no increase in height at all. New leaf production has slowed, and has been counterbalanced by a bit of leaf loss from the lowest sections.

large.5e6025f17f61c_d55twa.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 55

large.5e6025fde854e_d56twa3.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 56

large.5e6025fc2f92b_d56twa2.jpg

large.5e6025ff66fe7_d56twa.jpg

I set the dehumidifier to 50%, the next lowest setting, on day 53. I really want to avoid the situation I had in my most recent grow last year, where I caused budrot and lost a portion of my crop :ouch: That was my first time using the dehumidifier. I did not have space for it in the tent, so I put it outside next to a vent. When I harvested the first plant I turned it off, which was the big mistake, so the drying plants did not dry to quickly and spoil. Seeing most of a Crystal Candy Auto plant go straight on the compost heap was a tough lesson but I was very relieved/lucky that the majority of the harvest was not affected.

That will not happen this time! The dehumidifier works so much better inside the tent where it is able to suck in the warm damp air. Set at 50% it is working a lot harder than 60%, I can hear the compressor on a lot more, and it is generating quite a bit more heat. I have reduced the external heating again to compensate. The hygrometers are usually reading anywhere between 50%-60%, and the temperature is usually around 27°C, up to a maximum of 29°C. the minimum has been 21°C, though with the dehumidifier now working harder it is usually 23°C-25°C with the lights off if I don't open the tent.

large.5e6025ed224e1_d55ica.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 55

large.5e6025f505baa_d56ica3.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 56

large.5e6025f6e9a4d_d56ica.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 56

large.5e6025f34ae1b_d56ica2.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 56

• Like 15

Day 53 to Day 57 (contd)

We are at 8 weeks from germination, which is when these strains can be harvested according to the catalogue (Ice Cool Auto says 8-9 weeks). Could they be harvested now? I think yes they could, however I think there's more to be gained by leaving them a bit longer. The calyxes are swelling but are not fully there, so they can get a bit fatter yet. Some  of the trichomes are showing a nice milky glow, and in some parts are even dying off amber or brown, I'd say the majority are still ripening for my preference.

large.5e6025efaae59_d55sga.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 55

large.5e6025f8c7906_d56sga2.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 56

large.5e6025fa84b6c_d56sga.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 56

When I looked at the pictures I took yesterday, the Sweet Gelato Auto appeared to have the most ripe trichomes, so I went back for a couple of extra-close shots today.

large.5e6025e93e90b_d57sga2.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 57

large.5e6025eb67ed9_d57sga.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 57

It won't be long now! :thumsup:

• Like 16

Thank you very much for your encouraging words my friends!! It's great to be able to share this with you, since no-one else has seen my plants, and I don't talk to anyone about them IRL. :cheers:

• Like 4

Merchandising Competition Entry

I have been trying to come up with ideas for this for a while now. Sweet Seeds have some fantastic merch, but these are objects which are good to hold or use or wear etc. Taking an exciting picture of a grinder or pack of rolling papers seemed quite hard when I started to give it thought. I had a really nice photo with of the grinder with seeds on back at the start of my diary I considered, but I'd entered another seed picture in the January photo contest, so I wanted to do something new and something specifically for the merchandising contest.

There's five days left to enter and I didn't want to leave it to the last minute. I did struggle a bit for ideas, but I eventually had a few over the past few days. My favourite was to recreate the Sweet Seeds logo with real items since I like it and what it represents; I like the way Ganesh is bearing cannabis for us - the seed, the leaf, and the flower, plus something to chop it up - the full cycle for us growers. Tonight I had a go at shooting it and this is how it came out:

large.5e617e91d09a1_sweetseedslogomerchentry.jpg

Ganesh Bearing Gifts

I used my lovely grey t-shirt - I'm not brave enough to wear this one outside, but I have a San Fernando Lemon Kush t-shirt which I think is a bit more subtle and I do sometimes put on - some Sweet Gelato Auto seeds, an Ice Cool Auto leaf, and some Blow Mind Auto flower. I didn't have an axe like in the original logo, but my mezzaluna seemed big and sharp enough - it does a good job when you want a really fine end result, such as for the Pax.

Hopefully we'll see a few more entries into this fun side contest. There's not many posted yet but there's some great ideas, and there's still a few days to come up with something. :yep:

• Like 14

Day 58 to Day 62

My plants have carried on flowering, but I think they have been suffering a little from turning up the power on the dehumidifier, and I have been slowly cooking them. The machine puts out a lot more heat set to 50% versus 60%, and the tent has often been at 28°C, with a maximum of 30°C a couple of times. I've checked the plants with a laser and found the tops at 28°C or 29°C too, when I'd like them to be a couple of degrees cooler than the air, which they should be if they're transpiring properly. As a result I have lots of leaves curling at the edges with the hot dry air, and in some spots they are locking out and going dry and crispy.

But they are still looking pretty good, and getting nearer and nearer to harvest time! Here's a look at them:

large.5e66d23b1b75f_d62ica.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 62

large.5e66d23db9ef2_d62ica2.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 62

large.5e66d23f42cb0_d62ica3.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 62

large.5e66d4dd9f2db_d62ica4v2.jpg
Ice Cool Auto, day 62

The Ice Cool Auto has a strong odour. It's citrussy, with a strange chemical/plastic edge. I guess that is the 'diesel' though it doesn't exactly smell like fuel to me, though perhaps after a cure I could see it going that way. It is very close to done, though it could go a little bit longer since I can still see a fair number of clear trichomes about in places, as well as many milky and the odd few red.

large.5e66d2473fd60_d62twa.jpg
Sweet Trainwreck Auto, day 62

large.5e66d248c7dcc_d62twa2.jpg

large.5e66d24a6df3f_d62twa3.jpg

large.5e66d24bef110_d62twa4.jpg

large.5e66d24d89a66_d62twa5.jpg

The Sweet Trainwreck Auto also smells strongly, but this one is straight up citrus, oranges and lemons. It smells really lovely and fruity and should be very tasty I hope. It's looking virtually ripe now too, with lots of milky trichomes and quite a few red ones.

• Like 11

Day 58 to Day 62 (contd)

...and last, but by no means least:

large.5e66d61f43806_d62sga.jpg
Sweet Gelato Auto, day 62

The main cola looks awesome but makes me really nervous, thinking about what happened to my fat plant last year:

large.5e66d6212789c_d62sga2.jpg

The side-branches look great, too:

large.5e66d622c9f7c_d62sga3.jpg

There is a tiny little bit of purple as it fully matures:

large.5e66d624597e6_d62sga4.jpg

The Sweet Gelato Auto smells less than the other two. It also doesn't smell of citrus, at least in comparison, and has more of a delicate, sweet floral odour with earthy undertones. It smells very pleasant and I am looking forward to seeing how this translates into taste.

large.5e66d6261fcb0_d62sga5.jpg

large.5e66d627ca02b_d62sga6.jpg

large.5e66d62999573_d62sga7.jpg

Again, I would say it is very almost there. There are still lots of white pistils, but the calyxes underneath look like they are doing their final swell, and are covered in mostly mature, milky trichomes. Maybe in another week there will be more orange hairs and I will cut them down? It would be good to keep it within ten weeks, and I am also quite keen to get them down given their declining condition, but I will keep watching how they develop and decide in a few days. I will give them a plain water flush for the final few days, but for now I am continuing to feed with EC 1.1 twice a day.

Thank you for looking! :yep:

• Like 13

Amazing! Looking so... deliciously sugary! 

It's like you dropped them in a sugar bowl. :chef:

Great job you're doing so far. Even if it had some inconvenience, as it happened with the little bananas that came out of the Sweet Gelato Auto 2, you were able to hold your ground. :flex:

Keep it up, it's going well. 

Sweet smokes,

-Apolo

• Like 6

Love your close up shots dude really clear. And yea they are looking almost cooked you'll soon be enjoying the fruits :skin_up:

• Like 5