Billys watery wonderland- the rise of the critical moby dogs

badbillybob

Eh oh as the tellytubbies would say.

ive been sitting in front of the telly shoving chocolate down my neck so im starting to look like one

im back with another dinafem/ hso adventure

this time im doing a couple of favourites and a new kid on the block- for me anyway.

these strains are;

Dinafem critical+2

Dinafem Moby dick

HSO black dog (regs)

my system is a 9 pot (60litre pots),  home made , top fed spray bars,  RDWC recirculating system

lights are 5 No digital dimmable 600w hps, metal halide -veg, and HPS in bloom

fans are rvk, 8 inch in, 12 inch out, run off diy variac controller

hailea hc300 chiller

maxijet 1000 pump for chiller

hailea hx 8840 water pump for 4 pot side

hailea t8000 for 5 pot side 

2 x hailea 60l/min air pumps, 2 stones per tote.

I need to repair my system, which is tomorrows entertainment, after that im gonna be wetting my wang, er beans. 

Life is like a box of chocolates, as forest gump once said, you never know what you'll getlarge_104.JPGlarge_101.JPGlarge_102.JPG

as you can see its a bomb site in there, but will be ship shape soon. 

Exciting times

• Like 18

Mate now that I have three kids I would give my left, and possibly right, testicle to have a room like that to grow in. Get to work my man. I had been eyeing up the Dinafem Critical+2 also so this one will be a good one to follow to see what they are capable of. Good luck Bill, smash this one. 

• Like 5

That home made system is well cool mate, did you follow any particular guide when making it wouldn't mind making a smaller one of these what size is that space your growing in 

• Like 2

yeah I did follow a guide, its at the bottom in my sig. 

ive built quite a few of these systems previously. and a  lot of research, time and effort, and not a few fuck ups along the way- have gone before this before the final incarnation was arrived at.. it can still be improved

the room is 2.5 metres by 4.2metres. ceiling is just under 2.5m from the deck.

I gotta say , I don't miss tents at all

• Like 4

so the seeds are soaking.

I usually soak them for at least 24 hrs, and poke them underwater after 12. 

this lets them start the germination process by softening the seeds shell which makes for easier opening. large_102.JPG

meanwhile the bleaching has been done, ive emptied the system now, but here it is in bubbly actionlarge_100.JPG

its frothy man, as they used to say in the cresta advert, circa 1977. (yes, im that old)

tomorrow night they wil go into some damp kitchen roll and put into the hot water tank cupboard till tap roots are showing, then into the root it cubes in my heated propagator.

I decided against doing the black dogs. they are regs, which doesn't help-  and I need a full system this time. I might well plant one or two in coco, or soil, yet.

time will tell.

• Like 5

so the seeds have been soaked for 28 odd hours and are into the root it cubes, in my heated propagator.

All of them cracked no probs and have tap roots, so good start.

now the waiting game while I modify my grow area. you're gonna like the mods, I can tell.

• Like 5

the modslarge_104.JPGlarge_102.JPG

not finished yet. I need to make a platform for the 3 pot system to sit on and some sort of walkways above the return pipes err, somehow. (jet pack maybe???)

• Like 4

well I went and checked the propagator and we have 100% germination rate for the dinafem seeds, which is great.

the mobys were first out, and are touching the top of the prop lid after a day- they are a bit keen eh?

the criticals aren't far behind.

I will be potting these into the system next week. Starting at 0.6 ec.

Im getting a feeling the mobys want to be big girls....I love this strain, its got everything for me, and ive been growing it for years, all different varieties, the moby, moby 2, purple moby, and the automatic moby xxl, and not once have I been disappointed, its a classic in my books. 

Im really looking forward to trying the critical+2s, ive done the normal dinafem critical, and ive done loads of other seed banks versions of critical. And loads of critical crosses (critical jacks a stonker) It will be interesting to compare this one. 

• Like 4

On 01/01/2020 at 8:50 PM, badbillybob said:

the modslarge_104.JPGlarge_102.JPG

not finished yet. I need to make a platform for the 3 pot system to sit on and some sort of walkways above the return pipes err, somehow. (jet pack maybe???)

Some nice new mods for the water garden as we enter 2020 ;)

The rooms looking on point brother we just need to get a few plants in the system now. Then the real fun begins  ;)

Best of luck with the grow buddy  :cheers:

All the best :bong:

Mark..

• Like 1

the plants are in the system now. 2 mobys and 2 critical +2 have landed (in the net pots)

feeds are set to 0.6 and ph is set to 5.8. 

No pics im afraid, I will get some tomorrow for you. IM vegging 24 hours, just to see if I can knock a few days off the veg time. 

• Like 1

some pics for you. temps are up now, were sitting at 26 when all the lights were on at 600watt. 

Fan was still on tickover mode. So I hit the aircooled hoods lights too, to test em out. Oh dear oh dear, bit to hot to handle. large_104.JPG

this was on the way to 30 degrees, at which point the fan controller went into the higher setting, which is not really what I want , so air cooled hoods might not get used. 

heres the plants tho. large_103.JPGlarge_102.JPGlarge_101.JPGthe res is sitting at 19 degrees, ive unplugged the heater and plugged in the chiller, . (pump in top right of res is chiller pump), and the pump I use to empty the res, its a 1000 litre a minute one (my arse 1000 lites a minute, it takes half an hour to empty 400 litres.)large_116.JPG

and finally the room, looking good so far. large_100.JPG

• Like 5

Hi mate, with the buckets being white, is their a chance of light causing algae to grow inside ?

This is a question as I really don't know your system.. lovely looking set up by the way, loads of space.

GM 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GrinderMan said:

Hi mate, with the buckets being white, is their a chance of light causing algae to grow inside ?

This is a question as I really don't know your system.. lovely looking set up by the way, loads of space.

GM 

@badbillybob This ones for you mate  :yep:

All the best :bong:

Mark..

This is not my first rodeo...

ive used white buckets for years, with no algae growth, or any algae issues in the buckets.

"They", whoever "they" are, -- you know, --the ones who know "stuff" reckon the roots wont grow in white pots and that black ones are better. ive grown roots in black and white pots and honestly, never noticed a blind bit of difference  - in hydro. as long as the light doesn't get to them, the roots will be fine mate.

only time ive had algae, was when I used clear pipe from the res pump to the chiller, it showed in patches inside the pipe, by he end of the grow, but im fairly certain its also there in black hose, altho not to the same extent.

I bought some of that fancy iceline hose for the chiller this time, but its so thin and flexible it collapses on itself- its shit imho, so I dug out my last piece of clear hose, and am using that instead. black reduces the amount of algae inside the hose, but if you stick a tissue up a black hose at the end of a grow, its definitely there

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 3