Fan dead? Phresh hyperfan stealth

seb88

Had a bit of a scare this morning. Woke up and checked on my plants, everything was fine.

I then made a brew and had another check. As soon as I open the tent door I'm hit with a wall of hot and humid air! Luckily this is only 10 mins after the first check.

My exhaust fan has switched itself off. It's a 6 month old Phresh hyperfan stealth and has been faultless until now.

I tried adjusting the simple built in controller but no change. I then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's working fine.

Now I'm not totally sure if this is the first time it's happened (I've been really lucky to catch it now if so) or if it's had an intermittent fault for a while...

Just spoke to the grow shop and they've said they'll need to send it back to the distributor to look over it, but mentioned they might just turn it on, see that it works and tell me there's no fault, leaving me with a fan I have no confidence in.

So I've decided to order a new fan (same again) to use while I send this one off. It's going to take a couple of days to arrive. In the meantime the grow shop are going to lend me another fan incase my current fan dies again.

Has anyone else had an issue like this, or have any advice on what to do next? 

I sleep in the next room to my tent so would like to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Either some sort of alarm if it gets too hot in there, or if the fan stops turning?

Cheers

Seb

Edited by seb88
  • Like 2

no idea how good this is, but I had a little look into enviroment monitors.

Have a search on amazon for this "UbiBot WS1 Wireless Temperature Sensor,WiFi Humidity Monitor,Digital Data Logger,Wireless Thermometer". I think you'll need the probe as well, total cost is about £80.

Think I might even look into this myself :)

• Like 3

Hi @unity

Thanks for popping by. 

That looks perfect for checking data live. It looks like you can set an alert to your phone if temp/humidity hits a certain number. Think I'll give it a go!

I'd also like to be able to kill the power to the lights remotely if my temps got out of control due to a failing fan.

I'll look into smart plugs but I'm not too sure how reliable these are, if I lost my WiFi would my lights turn off etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seb88 said:

I tried adjusting the simple built in controller but no change

Hi mate.

Just a thought but what i would do is unplug the dimmer and check it then. They use standard linear potentiometers, which we use and do have to replace occasionally. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, diyleduk said:

Hi mate.

Just a thought but what i would do is unplug the dimmer and check it then. They use standard linear potentiometers, which we use and do have to replace occasionally. 

Cheers mate appreciate it

39 minutes ago, seb88 said:

Hi @unity

Thanks for popping by. 

That looks perfect for checking data live. It looks like you can set an alert to your phone if temp/humidity hits a certain number. Think I'll give it a go!

I'd also like to be able to kill the power to the lights remotely if my temps got out of control due to a failing fan.

I'll look into smart plugs but I'm not too sure how reliable these are, if I lost my WiFi would my lights turn off etc.

I think the unit can switch plugs on / off triggered by conditions (IFTTT support), so you should be able to put something together if it actually works as it's stated to.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, unity said:

I think the unit can switch plugs on / off triggered by conditions (IFTTT support), so you should be able to put something together if it actually works as it's stated to.

Oh yeah, never heard of IFTTT before, this is all new to me. 

I don't suppose you know where I can start doing some reading? I assume I will still need some sort of smart plug or some other kit attached to the plug socket that can interact with this monitor?

• Like 1

Not really sure, only found that kit when I looked up for you. Ifttt stands for If This Then That,  so I guess / hope it can control an outlet based upon its reading. 

I was thinking of putting an oil rad in my room, using this to switch it on when temps drop

• Like 1

Hi @unity

Thanks for the info. I ordered the ubibot kit with external probe and have just set it up.

I've managed to connect it with IFTTT, and have applied a couple of rules to send me an SMS if:

Temp is greater than 30degC

Humidity is greater than 55%

Then I can check the logs to see if there's a sudden spike which would suggest a dead fan.

I could buy a couple of smart plugs that will allow me to switch grow lights off remotely using a phone app once I've received this alert, and I think it's possible to set up an IFTTT to do this automatically, but I would still need smart plugs I believe?

Here's a snippet of what I can see on the mobile app 

large.Screenshot_20191107-132418.png

Cheers

Edited by seb88
  • Like 2

On 05/11/2019 at 10:23 AM, seb88 said:

Had a bit of a scare this morning. Woke up and checked on my plants, everything was fine.

I then made a brew and had another check. As soon as I open the tent door I'm hit with a wall of hot and humid air! Luckily this is only 10 mins after the first check.

My exhaust fan has switched itself off. It's a 6 month old Phresh hyperfan stealth and has been faultless until now.

I tried adjusting the simple built in controller but no change. I then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's working fine.

Now I'm not totally sure if this is the first time it's happened (I've been really lucky to catch it now if so) or if it's had an intermittent fault for a while...

Just spoke to the grow shop and they've said they'll need to send it back to the distributor to look over it, but mentioned they might just turn it on, see that it works and tell me there's no fault, leaving me with a fan I have no confidence in.

So I've decided to order a new fan (same again) to use while I send this one off. It's going to take a couple of days to arrive. In the meantime the grow shop are going to lend me another fan incase my current fan dies again.

Has anyone else had an issue like this, or have any advice on what to do next? 

I sleep in the next room to my tent so would like to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Either some sort of alarm if it gets too hot in there, or if the fan stops turning?

Cheers

Seb

Nothing worse than things failing. I use a Sensor Push monitor which has an alerts function. I was using a tempo plus 2 disc sensor but went through 2 of them (the company replaced them each time) and the app was a pain in the ass. Kept wiping data or resetting the logger to 2 weeks in the past.

The sensor push is pretty decent and go for between 50 and 80 bucks. I like to be able to monitor temps and humidity as was growing in the loft before it got too cold the past few weeks. 

Couldn't do without remote sensing now, just need to filter out all the crappy ones you see online.

Interesting you are having issues with that fan. I was looking into getting the same one! It seemed well regarded.

Hope you get it all fixed bud.

Edit: ah just saw you went for the ubibot.

Edited by Hammo44

• 2 months later...

I've just had the exact same problem with a 8" phresh stealth fan after 3 months. I contacted the company I got it from and they said that Phresh have just released a new version - so perhaps this is a fault they have sometimes. I was concerned that it might be due to heat or humidity but its happened a few times now when neither of these things have been an issue. Definitely not what you need when you're 6 weeks into flower!

• Like 1

@modeflip thanks for the info. Are they replacing yours with the new version?

I've had this happen again on the new controller just last week. Luckily caught it so no harm done but this is getting annoying now.

just had same thing as described happen, wilted a bunch of clones.   Bullshit considering theyre not cheap.  Guess will look into other makes.  

• Like 3

I think I'm just going to get my money back and look at other options as well. They really shouldn't be releasing fans without extensively testing them. That could be an entire grow lost or a knock at your door because of the smell. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Little update

Spoke to the Phresh rep at GAS and he's asked me to send my fan back for inspection.

He mentioned that it may have been high humidity causing the circuit board to short circuit. I do let my RH reach 70% in early veg, then drop it through flower. 

Imo this is normal and shouldn't cause the fan to fail.

Also, he mentioned there is a replacement v2 hyperfan now and they no longer make the v1.

The new controller has more steps (1044 Vs 120ish).

But, you can't run the new controller on the old fan.

If after inspection they find a fault, I will have the option to spend £20ish to upgrade to the V2.

They also have a new EC controller that costs around £70 with thermostatic control, if I wanted to go that route.

Will update once they've had a look.

• Like 1