What A Lot Of Pot ...

... Noodle (I'll get my coat)

So  went on the hunt for the largest pppppppppot noodle pot  -  quick visit to my local grow store.

large.IMG_0641.JPEG

Liking the black ones! They will def be better at stopping light than the white pots but I think I have a cheeky plan, love the the slogan "you can make it", its inspiring...

They have it all here, got some muck too...

large.Capture.JPG

Gonna get this lot home and see if my cheeky idea will work (or even be within the rules!).

Brains going mad thinking of solutions for this grow, going to get techy with some nodemcu's/flow control/temp/light/weight/humidity sensors and anything else i can think of.

Would like to say a huge thanks to @HSO-Mark for running this comp again, its going to be super fun and really feel lucky to be allowed to compete  :)

Edited by Medicated
  • Like 12

So we are allowed  to grow in either sizes right, what about in both. Cheeky I know but bare with me :)

large.IMG_0646.JPEG 

Was thinking of an old Russian doll DWC type of setup, something like the below, bending the rules or you think this will fly.

large.IMG_0649.JPEG

Sorta kinda fits, could trim down the inner smaller pot, lets see.

Going to get started with some tests, seeds may not be here for a while but i have a lot of design to do, this will be my first micro DWC, what could possibly go wrong!

No humans were harmed making this post, contents of the pots were immediately safely disposed of into the nearest bin.

Edited by Medicated
  • Like 14

58 minutes ago, Medicated said:

Russian doll DWC type of setup,

This is the method I use to establish a root mass on my plant before it goes into the DWC...(drainage holes in the outside pot)

Mine's also in pebbles and I've got it rigged up to a drip system on a timer...works a treat and saves worrying about it drying out.

The outside pot needs to be lightproof then the roots pretty much explode through the mesh, you could well run out of room for the roots by the end...:rofl:

Good Luck  :yep:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stu914 said:

you could well run out of room for the roots by the end...:rofl:

Good Luck  :yep:

Thanks mate, def pushing my comfort boundaries with this one - if it fails I'll be trying again as well as putting lady No.3 into good old soil for an organic grow.

I have (all be it a long time ago) root trimmed so kinda contemplating this for this grow, just need to plan if im going to do  a longer veg stage with root trimming over a rapid veg and switch so i don't blow the pot up with a root bound mess.

• Like 6

Just now, Ranec said:

Imo it might not fit the letter but it does fit the spirit of the competition :yep:

Thanks mate, well I'll do what I'm told but I do want to experiment with this a bit!

• Like 3

Oh hi there  @vince noir rock n roll star I hope your not expecting me to "bend the knee " :P  - Thanks for popping by!

6pQCrES.png

Today is Tech Day No. 1...

Lots of wiring, soldering, smoking, cutting n trimming, shouting n swearing, fumbling and some good old plumbing.

Then its on to flashing, programming, throwing, stamping, testing and stressing.

I expect to achieve at least one of those goals today :P

Might share some pics later :smokin:

• Like 3

As I was already sitting, kinda got stuck so started on some code and a lil hook up to my environment, some sensors are not in place so will be getting on with those a little later.

UI is a little basic looking atm but functionality is key, some sensors already hooked and displaying live data, need to sort the graphing and alerts (Email, SMS & light panel in Kitchen) before the grow but I need to plan that carefully.

large.Capture22.JPG

Need to hook up the rest of the fields showing N/A and then add in:

Air pump switching and pressure monitor

Water pump switching, flow control & rate slider

EC ,PPM & Temp sensor for the res

Plant weight sensor

Lots to do - the HSO PNC 2019 has definitely got me motivated - i better crack on.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Medicated said:

ots to do - the HSO PNC 2019 has definitely got me motivated - i better crack on

Blimey your going full on, :pitchfork:

I am sure that as long as all the roots stay in the pot you’ll be fine, tho easier said than done, good luck to you @Medicated

Take it easy. Jj:yinyang:

• Like 2

Be interesting to know your Dev environment / language, plus the boards your working with for sensors?

Currently making an iOS equivalent myself with ISP8266 as a base.

• Like 2

Edited by vince noir rock n roll star
  • Like 6

On 22/06/2019 at 8:29 PM, zabz said:

@Medicated You're mad.

I like it :yep:

Not going to argue with you, took a long time to get used to the fact :)

Glad you like, lots done today - but I'm not ready to share yet!

• Like 2

@MidlandGrow 

All sorts really, mainly using ESP's (Nodemcu's etc.) and  a sprinkling of Sonoffs (Tasmota) all speaking to an rpi3.

Software is a mix too, using Linux/OpenHab as the main platform, using MQTT for the message bus, lots of scripting using python/perl.

• Like 2