Is my cupboard too small?

budjam

Hello all

Want to try my first ever grow.

My cupboard is 65cm wide by 40cm deep and 240cm tall, would this be just to small for 1 plant at a time? What issues will such a small space cause me?

Looking to order a migro 100 light for it.

Thanks. 

• Like 2

Hi @budjam and welcome, yes I'm sure you could grow 1 plant in there as long as you've got good exhaust fan pulling the heat out and fresh air coming in your be just golden, the main thing is environment, as long as you can hold decent temps your be fine,

• Like 3

That space would work , at least you got headroom .. Maybe have a look at Diyleduk he has a section In sponsors area .you prob get more lighting per £ watt than the migro, migro nice units but a bit pricey ..:oldtoker:

• Like 5

Could you split it in the middle with a shelf with so you have a top and bottom cab with a metre or so height each? you would need 2 lights but with strips for each cab, decent extraction and some training you could grow 2 at a time 

Edited by Autobud
  • Like 3

Thanks for the replies :)

@Arthur Mix

The migro 100 light I have just actually ordered as it had 10% off for black friday. Thanks for the suggestion though.

@Autobud 

I'm happy just doing 1 at a time at the moment mate, Will last me ages anyway lol. I may upgrade size to a larger cupboard in a year or so but for now I'm happy with a super small grow :)

@colboyxx

Yes extraction is where I'm a little stuck as seem to be so many options, I get so close to ordering then read reviews and round and round I go lol.

What do you think of a 4 or 5 inch fan and carbon filter? The loft is right above the cupboard so I was going to cut a hole in cupboard roof and extract into there.. with maybe the inline fan and inline carbon filter sitting in the loft? And I was thinking if I got a 5" fan now it may do if I ever upgrade cupboard to say 90cm x 90cm in the future.

I was also thinking to get a nice seal etc in the cupboard I may just bang a tent in it the exact size of the cupboard.. was looking at this one as its 60 x 40 x 2m tall and has extraction on the roof which I could take straight out to loft. What you think?

https://www.growell.co.uk/propagation/propagation-grow-tents/garden-highpro-xl-propagation-tent-120cm-x-40cm-x-200cm.html

Cheers

• Like 2

Always better to get as big as extractor as you can as you can speed control it and run it slower and quieter.. Maybe a five inch l1 rvk and then oversize the duct on outlet side also helps reduce air noise.:oldtoker:

• Like 3

I would get a 5" L1(high power) as arthur says above, future proof for if you decide to upgrade and if you can find a wac1 controller (around £25) then you can turn it down to what you need which will also reduce noise. 

• Like 2

My space is almost the same size, I run a 125mm KSA acoustic extractor fan, 125mm rhino pro filter, smscom hybrid pro4 controller.

This is massive overkill but gives me options when the weather changes or if I decide to up-size in the future.

:oldtoker:

• Like 5

Ok so your going to do exactly what I've already done buddy, the old airing cupboard by any chance,maybe?, anyways the cupboard works great, I will be honest with you now I started off with 4" fans, filters, ducting all through and thought that would be great, even all the maths worked out, but the problem was to get the air moving fast enough the fans were running flat out and creating noise, all different noises you've never even herd before, 3am believe me you hear every single hum or vibrate and it will travel too, believe me by my second grow I had changed it all out and bought all 6" throughout, now there hardly running at all so much, much, much quieter. When it's above your head in bed at night it makes all the difference and stops loads of paranoia in the mix too. (Keeps her happy too buddy, win, win) my fresh air fan is controlled with a simple variac, I think that's what it's called, just the simple plug in jobbie, turned right down, just ticking over really slow, ducted to the soffit in the roof for outside fresh air to come in through the ceiling. Works a treat buddy, the exhaust fan has it's own speed controller on it, a 6" rhino filter and also turned right down very slow and I still achieve great negative pressure with loads to play around with when things get hot in the summer which they do. So there you go that's my 2p for you but please buy once not like me and had to buy all again but bigger. I hope I've saved you loads of money there buddy, good luck with your grow mate, enjoy growing and most of all be safe, there's no better feeling than smoking your own. There's some pics of my setup on here buddy, take a look.

Edited by colboyxx
Added too
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, colboyxx said:

Ok so your going to do exactly what I've already done buddy, the old airing cupboard by any chance,maybe?, anyways the cupboard works great, I will be honest with you now I started off with 4" fans, filters, ducting all through and thought that would be great, even all the maths worked out, but the problem was to get the air moving fast enough the fans were running flat out and creating noise, all different noises you've never even herd before, 3am believe me you hear every single hum or vibrate and it will travel too, believe me by my second grow I had changed it all out and bought all 6" throughout, now there hardly running at all so much, much, much quieter. When it's above your head in bed at night it makes all the difference and stops loads of paranoia in the mix too. (Keeps her happy too buddy, win, win) my fresh air fan is controlled with a simple variac, I think that's what it's called, just the simple plug in jobbie, turned right down, just ticking over really slow, ducted to the soffit in the roof for outside fresh air to come in through the ceiling. Works a treat buddy, the exhaust fan has it's own speed controller on it, a 6" rhino filter and also turned right down very slow and I still achieve great negative pressure with loads to play around with when things get hot in the summer which they do. So there you go that's my 2p for you but please buy once not like me and had to buy all again but bigger. I hope I've saved you loads of money there buddy, good luck with your grow mate, enjoy growing and most of all be safe, there's no better feeling than smoking your own. There's some pics of my setup on here buddy, take a look.

Thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated.

Good advice on extractor, I will get a 5" one as that what my tent supports max size off, But I will get a high quality fan and filter set, not just cheapest off the shelf :)

And yes it is an old airing cupboard lol

So you have your grow vented to the soffit.. and do you just have an input in the room the grow is in for fresh air in?

Off to check your pics now!! :cheers:

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colboyxx said:

Yeh or a roof vent, anywhere it can suck fresh air into the tent, my comes in at the bottom of the tent, exhaust from the top.

Yeah I got confused, The air would be far to cold to suck in to the tent / cupboard from loft / soffit, Fine for extraction though off course.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, colboyxx said:

I pull fresh outside air into my tent buddy, I need it to keep temps down and I use quantum boards, it can get very hot in there.

Ah I see.

Doubt my cupboard should get too hot as only 1 x 100w migro led.

Right now it's only a few degrees above 0 outside and flat calm, Add some wind and my grow would look more like a Christmas tree. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, budjam said:

My cupboard is 65cm wide by 40cm deep and 240cm tall,

Did you get a tent that size or are you putting some reflective stuff down / painting the cupboard white ? I’d be very interested in a tent of those dimensions!

anyhow, going on those measurements you could comfortably fill that space with 2 plants and an extraction fan w/ carbon filter. 4 inches is fine and takes up less space but the other guys have a point about summer. It gets hot as fuck! Definitely affected my harvest this year cos I ran the same setup with the same seeds and got less in the summer cos I couldn’t keep the temps away from 5th circle of hell readings. 

But also take everything people say on forums with a pinch of salt. That’s not a dig at any person or any forum, it is more than helpful here and a great community. But we are mainly talking fine lines and most simple setups work well, even in the summer. Better than your local ‘plug’ prices! Get the environment in a good ball park; 70s / 80s Fahrenheit, loads of light, good quality soil / ferts and you will be laughing to the bank - cos your bank won’t be emptied buying £100 ‘cali’ 8ths!

I’d go with two 8.5l smart pots if I was you (gives you another chance if one goes wonky, repot the suvivor into a 16l). Pick and indica cos they are easy and quick (UGORG, Dutch Passion, Humbolt, Karma Genetics; solid genetics) or even autos (Dinafem, Sweet Seeds, Mephisto) 

Best of luck !!

• Like 1