UK winter shed grow question

Kaidog

On 9-11-2023 at 10:18 PM, Goohfy said:

Get a gavita 1000 e DE 400v and run automatic plants 24 lights on.peace Goohfy.

hps ?...not very consumption friendly....

auto plants ?... i prefer indoors 2x12 hours photos.....  bet they bring me more loot....

wanne save on heating?.....dont grow in winter.... in cold garages and or lofts :) 

dont 4get....elec is double price since a year or so.... invest in devices who tell you actual elec consumption... !  :) 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DutchFox said:

auto plants ?... i prefer indoors 2x12 hours photos.....  bet they bring me more loot....

wanne save on heating?.....dont grow in winter.... in cold garages and or lofts :) 

dont 4get....elec is double price since a year or so.... invest in devices who tell you actual elec consumption... !  :) 

It was an example I think  the problem of growing in a shed the temperatures were all over.I could say get a lumatek Zeus pro and a load of heat and run photos or get 8 Philzon 80 watt led boards which ever way you look at it growing in a shed in winter your gonna burn watts.peace Goohfy.

1 hour ago, Goohfy said:

growing in a shed in winter your gonna burn watts.peace Goohfy.

Not if it's properly insulated, when I built my groom in the shed all six sides have 50mm kingspan including the door.

Extract is turned down to 25% and the oil rad plugged into a separate thermostat on lowest setting is directly in front

of the intake which negates the need for a lung room...works for me...:yep:

• Like 4

Im in the loft and while its bloody cold up there, ive got my tent well insulated with 50mm of eps and duvets on top of that - 13 tog if your interested  (lights on = no extra  heat needed currently but its not hitting minus figures yet)

instead of heating a lung room  aka a shed, build radiator  box for your heat source (oil rad) and feed that to your tent, it will act like a duct heater - so your air is pre-warmed.

connect the rad to an inkbird measuring temp inside tent at canopy height and your golden :yep:

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

Im in the loft and while its bloody cold up there, ive got my tent well insulated with 50mm of eps and duvets on top of that - 13 tog if your interested  (lights on = no extra  heat needed currently but its not hitting minus figures yet)

instead of heating a lung room  aka a shed, build radiator  box for your heat source (oil rad) and feed that to your tent, it will act like a duct heater - so your air is pre-warmed.

connect the rad to an inkbird measuring temp inside tent at canopy height and your golden :yep:

I know it is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but what size of box does it have to be to provide enough warmth for say a square metre?  Obviously, if the box is too small, it won't provide enough warmth to bother and too big and you'd almost be as well heating the shed.  Are you talking like 1M cubed, 1.5M cubed, something like that?

56 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

just a bit bigger than the oil rad that  sit inside it 

Right.  So quite literally pulling air past the hot radiator is enough.  Mad-one.  I wouldn't have thunk. :wallbash:

Well, I guess I know what I can do with me Celotex off-cuts now then :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:23 PM, DutchFox said:

I agree 110% with you!!!

Farmers don't grow when is not season or they don't have the environment to control.

The grow need to be planned also energy efficient! And for personal use there is plenty of time.

HPS consume 40-50% heating ( is this true?)

Yes! I definitely disagree with my conscious part. .. but I can't wait more or I am too intoxicated by the street that I will try...at least try.

But I agree with you:)

On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 10:58 PM, MidgeSmith said:

Right.  So quite literally pulling air past the hot radiator is enough.  Mad-one.  I wouldn't have thunk. :wallbash:

Well, I guess I know what I can do with me Celotex off-cuts now then :)

I was a sceptic, so I gave it a try with just a cardboard box and it does indeed work - obviously up to a point. you cant run your extraction on full blast and expect it to cope- also frees up space if your rad is in the tent. 

I was using a 80mm pc fan ( just to help guide the air in the right direction ) as it was beside the tent and had minimal ducting for it to travel to main tent but your extraction would probably have enough pull to move the air through the rad box. 

if you have off cuts then give it a go, it would be rude not  too

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

I was a sceptic, so I gave it a try with just a cardboard box and it does indeed work - obviously up to a point. you cant run your extraction on full blast and expect it to cope- also frees up space if your rad is in the tent. 

I was using a 80mm pc fan ( just to help guide the air in the right direction ) as it was beside the tent and had minimal ducting for it to travel to main tent but your extraction would probably have enough pull to move the air through the rad box. 

if you have off cuts then give it a go, it would be rude not  too

Yeah it sounds good.  I haven't bothered ducting the intake before, partly because I had no free ports and two gauze covered letterbox shaped passive intakes, but I bought two 70mm cable flange kits, one to take the wiring for the tube heaters out the tent and 1 spare for the future, either automating wiring or having a small intake.  I guess I could use it for the latter with some small guage ducting. I don't have room in my tent, but I do have room outside of it, with a bit of create reconfiguring.  We shall see.

For now, the tube heaters are doing a good job and taking up less space.  Though I did have to bypass the thermostat on one last night as it had stopped working.  Its on an inkbird anyway, so no loss.  I just hope my skills were sufficient to avoid burning down the tent lol.

Cheers for the info Rufus!

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

yeah, if your heaters have a thermostat you need to turn it to max so it would be always on and let the inkbird control the power on/off.

sorry, realised you didn't mean that and you stat had broken.

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

yeah, if your heaters have a thermostat you need to turn it to max so it would be always on and let the inkbird control the power on/off.

sorry, realised you didn't mean that and you stat had broken.

:yep: