UK winter shed grow question

Kaidog

1 hour ago, Amnesialocal said:

I have a question:) Hypothetically.

Let's image you are dimming the LED to 180w for example and you implement with a 150w HPS and you turn the 120w heater off. 

Could it work?

The only thing to bear in mind is that the heat from the HPS might need circulating or blowing down to the plants as otherwise it may just rise from the lights and be extracted away mainly.  This is a small problem probably as recirculating from the shed outside the tent means that most of the heat will be recovered and used anyway.

4 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

Yeah as you say, opinions vary, but I would put the compressor in the shed not the tent.

If it is in the tent, etc.

Hmm. Seems to make sense, at a glance :g:

Ooh! Just to give me a bit more to totally wreck my own head with, please: How big a shed are we talking? That's a very relevant item to throw into my agenda.

See; If we - for simplicity - say my shed / room what ever, is a T shape. Only, the top bar of the T is a square. There's a yard square box (That square) with the bottom bit of the T being a thin corridor.

In reality, about as much as I can do with that useless little corridor is run the extractors out pipe along it. To the vent I have in the wall at the end of it. With the 2'+ square tent stood in the 3' square bit, I won't be able to even access that pipe ~ or anything else down the corridor. Not without physically removing the entire tent and its contents.

But, what I'm now thinking - straight from the hip, in response to what ye said there - is that I can, maybe, extend the space / volume available to the 'shed' to include that area.

I'm strongly inclined to Kingspan the fuck out of the shed. Put the tent in That. All I need do now is to extend the Kingspan down into the corridor. Then, make the 'ceiling' of the KS such that air is free to move over the Top of the tent, thus accessing the corridor. This, as opposed to just making a rectangular box, only inches - if at all - bigger than the tent.

Does that make sense? My own mind's all over the place, at the moment. Far too much going on in my head. But, with what little bit of concentration I mustered, I Think I just explained myself. As best I know myself what I'm thinking, anyway.

21 hours ago, Chal said:

I'm pretty much following A around. His plan is close enough to mine that I can feed off the replies he gets. Saves us duplicating such similar questions. And people answer him, which gives me a giggle! :D

@Goita there took the smile off my face though. Yet, I've seen plenty of others swearing by tubes. Perhaps bigger ones are now used?

Fucking Great :rolleyes:

But, then? Midge to the rescue!

Inadvertently gives me something to cling to, thanks, Midge. Tonight's  thought train has very much been centred around the use of Kingspan, inside my own 'shed'.

The monster I hadn't yet got the nerve up to look in the eye was this dichotomous seeming riddle of how to keep the place warm, while constantly sucking the warm (air) Out and thus, by definition, sucking cold In!

Brian's buttons :yes:

Sorry mate! I just use an oil fired radiator now, it was years ago that I had tube heater and can't remember what it's wattage was.

• Like 1

Just now, Goita said:

I just use an oil fired radiator

And how responsive are those ones, would ye say? I mean, my head's still a fair way off of immersing itself in That aspect, just yet. Dehumidifier's sort of drooling and rubbing its hands over my Next pension payment! Need to recover from That financial beating, before I regroup to eyeball heaters.

What I'm sort of toying with is the two basic choices between a 'Fan': Quick blast of hot, expensive air. Moving the thermometer almost instantly. Vs. I guess, Any of the 'slow and gentle' types of heater.

Eg. I could imagine a fan letting things cool pretty rapidly, at lights out ..... Maybe that's not even such a desirable thing? :g:

Either way; You're a man who's Done the tubes. Now, ye've evolved onto and Prefer the oil filled? That about right?

Interesting! Thanks :)

21 hours ago, Chal said:

I'm pretty much following A around. His plan is close enough to mine that I can feed off the replies he gets. Saves us duplicating such similar questions. And people answer him, which gives me a giggle! :D

@Goita there took the smile off my face though. Yet, I've seen plenty of others swearing by tubes. Perhaps bigger ones are now used?

Fucking Great :rolleyes:

But, then? Midge to the rescue!

Inadvertently gives me something to cling to, thanks, Midge. Tonight's  thought train has very much been centred around the use of Kingspan, inside my own 'shed'.

The monster I hadn't yet got the nerve up to look in the eye was this dichotomous seeming riddle of how to keep the place warm, while constantly sucking the warm (air) Out and thus, by definition, sucking cold In!

Brian's buttons :yes:

Sorry Chal, didn't mean to spoil your plans! I use an oil filled radiator now as you have more control over temperature I also use a fan controller so I can keep the fan on low in winter - enough to move air through the carbon filter to stop the smell but not enough that the air doesn't warm up.

Sorry about the double post! Yes the oil fired radiator is more effective as you set the thermostat so it clicks on at certain temperature level, also I don't have to run it on full power either to hit the necessary temps. I have also monitored temps and they seem to maintain a pretty consistent temp in the tent. They don't cost alot either.

Edited by Goita
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Chal said:

Hmm. Seems to make sense, at a glance :g:

Ooh! Just to give me a bit more to totally wreck my own head with, please: How big a shed are we talking? That's a very relevant item to throw into my agenda.

See; If we - for simplicity - say my shed / room what ever, is a T shape. Only, the top bar of the T is a square. There's a yard square box (That square) with the bottom bit of the T being a thin corridor.

In reality, about as much as I can do with that useless little corridor is run the extractors out pipe along it. To the vent I have in the wall at the end of it. With the 2'+ square tent stood in the 3' square bit, I won't be able to even access that pipe ~ or anything else down the corridor. Not without physically removing the entire tent and its contents.

But, what I'm now thinking - straight from the hip, in response to what ye said there - is that I can, maybe, extend the space / volume available to the 'shed' to include that area.

I'm strongly inclined to Kingspan the fuck out of the shed. Put the tent in That. All I need do now is to extend the Kingspan down into the corridor. Then, make the 'ceiling' of the KS such that air is free to move over the Top of the tent, thus accessing the corridor. This, as opposed to just making a rectangular box, only inches - if at all - bigger than the tent.

Does that make sense? My own mind's all over the place, at the moment. Far too much going on in my head. But, with what little bit of concentration I mustered, I Think I just explained myself. As best I know myself what I'm thinking, anyway.

How big is your corridor?

For what I understood is not bad idea to vent into the space ( your corridor) instead outside in order to keep warm and reduce heat loss during winter. If your corridor allow you you could extract from the yard box into the corridor and use the corridor as lunge room to passively intake air.

As the space is not completely air tight you should always have some fresh CO2 coming from outside.

• Like 1

Just now, Goita said:

Sorry about the double post! Yes the oil fired radiator is more effective as you set the thermostat so it clicks on at certain temperature level, also I don't have to run it on full power either to hit the necessary temps. I have also monitored temps and they seem to maintain a pretty consistent temp in the tent. 

I agree completely.

Tubes are for grow tent and oil filled for lunge room. 

Tubes could be a beginning until ( if needed) an oil radiator makes the difference....but could juicy lot of watt also if the space is not very well insulated, too big or too cold outside.

I guess certain design and location are not a matter of having the perfect solution, but a process to get closer to desired parameters. And this will take time and improvements.

I will start insulating in few months when money will allow it, and probably in my case skip the winter this year....or kamikaze into a tentative and test the environment and see what happen.

I am expecting a very cold winter this year, more then last.

• Like 2

Just now, Goita said:

enough to move air through the carbon filter to stop the smell but not enough that the air doesn't warm up.

That's an interesting point! Again, something I simply haven't got far enough to reach considering yet.

Weird - or at least, probably 'unusual' bit about my personal situation is that I'm really not overly fussed about smell. Not to put too fine a point on it? If ever there's anyone I don't want there, in my kitchen? I'm fucked anyway! And they'd just about have to be in there anyway. Pulling up at the gate, for a chat? No one would know what's going on in my 'shed'.

But, yeah, thinking about it? The two ways air can escape my shed is through the specially installed wall vent, at the end of the 'corridor'. And / or straight round / through the door, which the tent will be hard up against, into my kitchen.

Honestly; I'd might as well do the grow in the tent, right where it's standing as I type this: Smack bang in the middle of my fucking kitchen! :D I'm only moving it into the shed because it's taking up so much room where it is!

• Like 2

I have neighbours on all sides! I even put a tumble dryer in the shed so that the neighbours don't think it's weird that I keep going out there! I carry water bottles in under cover of my washing 

• Like 1

Just now, Amnesialocal said:

How big is your corridor?

Yeah. Just referred to my notes / the schematic I drew: 5' long by 18" wide. It'll be six foot plus high. Useless, shitty little space, eh?

Of course, all of this is going to lose those inches to the Kingspan. But, we're not fucking Cabinet Makers here, are we? :D

I guess certain design and location are not a matter of having the perfect solution, but a process to get closer to desired parameters. And this will take time and improvements.

Fucking Word!!! :yep:

Just now, Goita said:

I have neighbours on all sides! I even put a tumble dryer in the shed so that the neighbours don't think it's weird that I keep going out there! I carry water bottles in under cover of my washing 

Jeeeezuss! :( Yeah, naah, I'm in the polar opposite situation. I have no neighbours. No fucker comes near me, except the Postman - and he never comes past the gate. Only person who comes inside my place is my mate, from a ten minute walk away.

Quite funny, actually: He saw the fucking tent standing there and asked WTF I had it for. Quick as ye like, I blurted out that - as if it were the most obvious thing in the world - I was gonna breed fucking spiders in it!

" Look! " I said. " Why else do ye think it's got fucking 'SpiderFarmer' emblazoned on it?! " He just shook his head. Shit like that simply reinforced what he already thinks of me. That I'm raving! :D

Just now, Chal said:

Yeah. Just referred to my notes / the schematic I drew: 5' long by 18" wide. It'll be six foot plus high. Useless, shitty little space, eh?

Of course, all of this is going to lose those inches to the Kingspan. But, we're not fucking Cabinet Makers here, are we? :D

I guess I lost something....you are not entering through the corridor correct? The corridor is just lost space?

I guess I lost something....you are not entering through the corridor correct? The corridor is just lost space?

Precisely! :yep: