UK winter shed grow question

Kaidog

The only thing to bear in mind is that the heat from the HPS might need circulating or blowing down to the plants as otherwise it may just rise from the lights and be extracted away mainly.  This is a small problem probably as recirculating from the shed outside the tent means that most of the heat will be recovered and used anyway.

My shed is wooden, 10 x 8ft and just under 6ft high where the tent is.  CO2 seems not to be a problem without any intake from outside.  I daresay it would be for 100 plants+, but for my 3 - 5, not an issue.

The oil heater may need careful oversight as for me it caused overshooting temperatures.  It is relatively efficient though and I'd take that over frozen plants if the winter bites hard enough.

Edited by MidgeSmith

15 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

The oil heater may need careful oversight as for me it caused overshooting temperatures.

Is that relying on just its own thermostat, Midge? Or do ye run an Inkbird, or similar?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chal said:

Is that relying on just its own thermostat, Midge? Or do ye run an Inkbird, or similar?

The oil radiator I used has its own thermostat which you set by waiting until the room is at the temperature you want and then turning the thermostat down until it clicks off.  However it didn't regulate the temperature well enough and I think it would struggle to because of the way it works and the thermal capacity of the oil.  I could make it work by setting it way lower than it had to be and putting up with the peaks and troughs I guess, but I wasn't super happy with its self-regulation.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chal said:

I use an oil rad running off a separate 'Timeguard TRT05' thermostat, works a treat keeping temps

within a couple degrees of each other night and day.

• Like 2

old cold shed or loft trick....

2 tents in an isolated room/area....and 1 tent on 00.00 till 12.00........... the other one.....  12.01 till 23.59  :) 

this way you need to waist the lowest cost on heating....  :) ...which is double cost since last year....

dehumidifiers use a part of their energie on heating....so that helps a bit too....

this system is a near so-called semi-closed growing system...in summer you can extract warm air from the isolated room/area.

in winter you can keep a tiny underpresure in the isolated room/area with filter to kill unwanted smells...

Edited by DutchFox

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

I use an oil rad running off a separate 'Timeguard TRT05' thermostat, works a treat keeping temps

within a couple degrees of each other night and day.

I think the separate thermostat must help then!  I assumed it was the slow onset and sustained heat that was the problem.  Thanks for clearing that up Stu. 

I have 4 temperature sensors in the tent as it is, I couldn't bring myself to buy yet another for the shed, but I guess I might went the cold becomes bitter!

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

Well, lads; I was glancing over Amazon, today. Just getting a fleeting feel for these OFR's. What? £25 - 65, take ye pick? That's alright then.

Then, I was in a shop, eyeballing a small selection visible in there. Struck by how incredibly dinky they are, in the flesh! Good, aren't they? Dinky little, slim things. Fit them in anywhere :)

Then, I spoke to a mate of mine, about some knock down, 2" insulation board. Hoping for a price, tomorrow. No heated rush, there. But, it's all starting to take shape a bit more now. I'm gathering my targets ;)

@DutchFox ; I'll need to sit down, less distracted, and mull over what ye saying there. Try to get it to sink in.

Either way, the fucker is that I have a three by something tent here too. It'd contain my little 2+ X tent, with room for bits. Only shit is that my shed won't quite contain It! What a bitch, eh? Inches in it. But, those inches are solid stone and concrete! Not a lot I can do about that :(

Anyway, while we're / I'm on the subject? The elephant in my room is the Door! My 'Lung Room' will be mightily insulated, from top to bottom and on Three sides. Then, I'll open this fucking great door, and it'll be like taking the wall off ye living room!

Not quite sure where to go with That one yet :g:

New thread, lads? " Insulation Matters "?

2 hours ago, DutchFox said:

old cold shed or loft trick....

2 tents in an isolated room/area....and 1 tent on 00.00 till 12.00........... the other one.....  12.01 till 23.59  :) 

this way you need to waist the lowest cost on heating....  :) ...which is double cost since last year....

dehumidifiers use a part of their energie on heating....so that helps a bit too....

this system is a near so-called semi-closed growing system...in summer you can extract warm air from the isolated room/area.

in winter you can keep a tiny underpresure in the isolated room/area with filter to kill unwanted smells...

This of the double tent is the best.for those who can...also maybe those that have vegetative space can exchange time and overlap 6 hours.

1 hour ago, Chal said:

Well, lads; I was glancing over Amazon, today. Just getting a fleeting feel for these OFR's. What? £25 - 65, take ye pick? That's alright then.

Then, I was in a shop, eyeballing a small selection visible in there. Struck by how incredibly dinky they are, in the flesh! Good, aren't they? Dinky little, slim things. Fit them in anywhere :)

Then, I spoke to a mate of mine, about some knock down, 2" insulation board. Hoping for a price, tomorrow. No heated rush, there. But, it's all starting to take shape a bit more now. I'm gathering my targets ;)

@DutchFox ; I'll need to sit down, less distracted, and mull over what ye saying there. Try to get it to sink in.

Either way, the fucker is that I have a three by something tent here too. It'd contain my little 2+ X tent, with room for bits. Only shit is that my shed won't quite contain It! What a bitch, eh? Inches in it. But, those inches are solid stone and concrete! Not a lot I can do about that :(

Anyway, while we're / I'm on the subject? The elephant in my room is the Door! My 'Lung Room' will be mightily insulated, from top to bottom and on Three sides. Then, I'll open this fucking great door, and it'll be like taking the wall off ye living room!

Not quite sure where to go with That one yet :g:

New thread, lads? " Insulation Matters "?

Sorry Chal, still there are things I don't understand.

You have a door from the kitchen that open into the top T where you would like to put your tent, correct? Or this is your access point.

This space continue into the "corridor" which seems doesn't have lot of use and close the T shape.

I assume you want to use the kitchen as lunge room and maybe insulate the connection between the tent and the corridor to avoid having the corridor super cold all the time.

You then want to insulate ( I assume from outside, because you mentioned that into the space fit only a tent ) the "shed/tent" space from outside.

Where am I wrong?

11 minutes ago, Amnesialocal said:

Sorry Chal, still there are things I don't understand.

Make five more posts, mate. Then, I can PM ye a link to a photo of my little blue print :yep:

1 minute ago, Goohfy said:

Get a gavita 1000 e DE 400v and run automatic plants 24 lights on.peace Goohfy.

Yes not bad options...you can try Mephisto like this

1 hour ago, Goohfy said:

Get a gavita 1000 e DE 400v and run automatic plants 24 lights on.peace Goohfy.

You rock!