UK winter shed grow question

Kaidog

Hello,

Question for UK winter shed growers...

Gonna be my first year trying to grow under lights in my garage type shed, only have a wardrobe size grow in there with a 300w led system and 2x 35w CFLs.

Would a 40w tube heater do me through the winter or would I need something bigger? (UK)

What size shed grow do you have and how do you heat it through the winter?

• Like 1

Hi , I think that would depend on how well insulated the area is , ie the more the better for control of temps in either direction .

Assuming it is , I believe it would ok but harder to control than something like a small radiator 

Edited by trimma
Add more
  • Like 1

Concentrate on keeping the roots warm so as jibba says, heat mats, you could put your 40w heater under the plants instead if you wished.......

I grow in an old converted fridge freezer in the shed and use a 500w pifco fan heater on a thermostat to keep room temps up.

good luck

stu  :oldtoker:

• Like 4

Im in a tent inside a shed and it got fucking cold last year. I ran a double size electric blanket under my waterproof mat which kept my root temps above 21 even on setting 2. Ambient temps dropped down to high teens due to me only having a tube heater. I now run a 2000w oil rad on low setting inbetween two rooms which is a total 1.5m2 space.

Atb

JJ

Edited by JamJar
  • Like 2

You might wanna think about switching to HPS lighting for the extra heat at lights on, otherwise you'd need to run the heater 24/7 when using LED's and CFL lighting.

• Like 6

not a shed but attic space is roughly 2.8 length x 1.5 high x 1.8 wide i run a 400 wt hps in there lights on 8pm lights of 8 am )cheap night time units on elcy ) the roof is insulated (done that this year ) when my lights go out at 8 am ive got two oil fires that kick in and eventually go off at around 10 am. Im hopeing mine will be done by 20th November. Id also recommend trying to look on accu weather or a good weather map for your 90 day forecast. Piss poor planning and preperation =s piss poor finish. Remember 90 percent of the finished product is within the prep lol But as all ready said get a hps in there dude. if not try and insulate the outside of the said space.  Also on that note kingspan is silver and so therefore also doubles as a reflector to reflect the light back in the room good luck all the best. 

• Like 1

Last winter was pretty cold .I was sorry I didn't grow some autos in the new year as it was hard to maintain a cosy environment for the 12 hours of darkness .

• Like 4

I grow in a insulated shed and have tried tube heaters in a small tent and they were rubbish - bought a portable oil filled radiator with built in timer and thermostat and keeps everything nice and warm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cypher79 said:

You might wanna think about switching to HPS lighting for the extra heat at lights on, otherwise you'd need to run the heater 24/7 when using LED's and CFL lighting.

This exactly.

A 40w tube heater and 300w LED light 2 x 35w cfl's will be way too cold during winter in a shed, don't even bother mate seriously.  Then what about lights off too?

I'm not too sure if you're a proper LED fan or not, but HPS is said to be a lot better still so kind of a win/win depending how you look at it. In a wardrobe space that's currently running a 300w LED, I'm thinking 250w hps with 600w oil filled radiator heater for lights off with a 4" fan on a controller.

Edited by Conspiranought
  • Like 1

Hmm, ok thanks for all the replies, lots to think about there! At least I now know that buying a 40w tube heater will be a waste of time.

I will look into these heat mats so I can finish off some auto's at the end of autumn then start back up in the spring I'm now thinking.

Edited by Thepopela
  • Like 2

Unless you insulate regardless of heat mats and rads you will loose heat it will get very cold....i feel this winter will be just like this Summer...we had a hot one...so im expecting a cold winter !

If you concentrated over winter in building a space in your shed then that would suffice all year round , if money is a problem you can always do little by little and by spring you could have your indoors on the go and your autos for the patio :yep:

Farmer 

• Like 3

With all the problems if growing in a garage or shed in winter months, plus freezing my ass off when watering & checking has made me decide that my last grow will be December & then I'm taking a break, apart from keeping my mums going until March.

So, I hope I can grow enough to keep me going.

But as to your original question, no, a 40W tube heater will do Jack shit. As others have said, keeping your roots warm should be your first step. But as to keeping warm on lights on, you'll need at least a 400W panel heater or oil rad, so you may as well go HPS & treat your plant to the extra lumins. You can keep your LED lamp going too if you have the head space.

Insulation will help, and where you draw your air from. But if you are drawing icy air in, and your extraction is sufficient, then you'll be extracting the warm air & heating up air as it comes in, which is extremely hard without a monstrous electricity bill! 

Good luck whatever you decide :yep:

• Like 4

• 5 years later...
On 25/08/2018 at 9:10 PM, Conspiranought said:

This exactly.

A 40w tube heater and 300w LED light 2 x 35w cfl's will be way too cold during winter in a shed, don't even bother mate seriously.  Then what about lights off too?

I'm not too sure if you're a proper LED fan or not, but HPS is said to be a lot better still so kind of a win/win depending how you look at it. In a wardrobe space that's currently running a 300w LED, I'm thinking 250w hps with 600w oil filled radiator heater for lights off with a 4" fan on a controller.

The oil radiator outside the wardrobe? Or inside?