UK winter shed grow question

Kaidog

My solution for a 60 X 110 X 120 (h) space in a very cold outbuilding with a 315 W CMH.

The space is insulated with 25 mm Kingspan.

Fabric pots sitting on a capillary matting-covered wooden frame in a plastic tray, water supplied by Easy2go valve from an external reservoir.

Thermostatted soil warming cable under plastic tray keeps water and roots warm.

90 cm tube heater running during lights off.

Variac to slow down the extract fan. I manually adjust the speed depending on how cold it is outside to maintain lights on air temps in the mid 20s.

This set up allows year round growing. The plants can handle low air temps during lights off provided you keep the roots warm.

If it gets really cold the reservoir freezes but I'll just hand water until it warms up again.

E2a in the past I have grown under CFL in the same space without any heat or insulation.  Everything took fecking ages but I did get a crop of sorts, it was certainly better than going without!

Edited by Absurdist
  • Like 1

I had frost in my pots one year and they still gave 7 oz a plant lol

They can actually take a beating . 

Heat mats and radiators are a dream in an outbuilding. 

• Like 2

Hi, I grow in a shed at the end of the garden.

The shed is insulated with 50mm Kingspan. The tent within is only 1200mm x 600mm x 1800mm.

Inside the tent I have 2 tube heaters mounted one above the other along the length of the tent, one 100W and one 120W. There is a 100W heat-mat under the drip tray something like 1100mm x 500mm. I have the sensor for that about a third of the way up the pot (air pots so easy to poke through the side), the sensor and mat keep the soil temperature just above 21C.

I use the 100W simultaenously with the 320W dimmable LED light and add in the 120W tube at lights off.  Both are on an inkbird heat sensor to ensure 22C at night (between 10am and 4pm) and 28C during the day.

I run a dehumidifier in the shed to get the RH right and have an 800W oil heater that I can bring online to heat the shed if needs be.  Last year, I didn't need it.

The tent exhaust runs back into the shed.  It keeps the heat in which is good for camouflage (no heat plume) and making the heating cheaper (the air doesn't lose temperature very quickly and I'm not bringing in freezing cold air). The CO2 levels don't seem to drop too much as a result and the yields in the tent are good.

I hope that goes some way to answering your question.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

The shed is insulated with 50mm Kingspan. The tent within is only 1200mm x 600mm x 1800mm.

Inside the tent I have 2 tube heaters mounted one above the other along the length of the tent, one 100W and one 120W. There is a 100W heat-mat under the drip tray something like 1100mm x 500mm. I have the sensor for that about a third of the way up the pot (air pots so easy to poke through the side), the sensor and mat keep the soil temperature just above 21C.

I use the 100W simultaenously with the 320W dimmable LED light and add in the 120W tube at lights off.  Both are on an inkbird heat sensor to ensure 22C at night (between 10am and 4pm) and 28C during the day.

I run a dehumidifier in the shed to get the RH right and have an 800W oil heater that I can bring online to heat the shed if needs be.  Last year, I didn't need it.

The tent exhaust runs back into the shed.  It keeps the heat in which is good for camouflage (no heat plume) and making the heating cheaper (the air doesn't lose temperature very quickly and I'm not bringing in freezing cold air). The CO2 levels don't seem to drop too much as a result and the yields in the tent are good.

Many thanks all...

I didn't notice the post was dated 2018:)...but cold is always cold.

I am definitely far away from several of the set up you mentioned, but they give me a better understanding of what to do:)

On 25/8/2018 at 8:55 PM, Goita said:

I grow in a insulated shed and have tried tube heaters in a small tent and they were rubbish ...

I'm pretty much following A around. His plan is close enough to mine that I can feed off the replies he gets. Saves us duplicating such similar questions. And people answer him, which gives me a giggle! :D

@Goita there took the smile off my face though. Yet, I've seen plenty of others swearing by tubes. Perhaps bigger ones are now used?

On 26/8/2018 at 11:11 AM, AKPOG said:

A 40W tube heater will do Jack shit ..... Insulation will help, and where you draw your air from. But if you are drawing icy air in, and your extraction is sufficient, then you'll be extracting the warm air & heating up air as it comes in, which is extremely hard without a monstrous electricity bill!

Fucking Great :rolleyes:

But, then? Midge to the rescue!

5 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

..... The tent exhaust runs back into the shed.  It keeps the heat in which is good for camouflage (no heat plume) and making the heating cheaper (the air doesn't lose temperature very quickly and I'm not bringing in freezing cold air). The CO2 levels don't seem to drop too much as a result and the yields in the tent are good.

Inadvertently gives me something to cling to, thanks, Midge. Tonight's  thought train has very much been centred around the use of Kingspan, inside my own 'shed'.

The monster I hadn't yet got the nerve up to look in the eye was this dichotomous seeming riddle of how to keep the place warm, while constantly sucking the warm (air) Out and thus, by definition, sucking cold In!

Brian's buttons :yes:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chal said:

I'm pretty much following A around. His plan is close enough to mine that I can feed off the replies he gets. Saves us duplicating such similar questions. And people answer him, which gives me a giggle! :D

@Goita there took the smile off my face though. Yet, I've seen plenty of others swearing by tubes. Perhaps bigger ones are now used?

Inadvertently gives me something to cling to, thanks, Midge. Tonight's  thought train has very much been centred around the use of Kingspan, inside my own 'shed'.

The monster I hadn't yet got the nerve up to look in the eye was this dichotomous seeming riddle of how to keep the place warm, while constantly sucking the warm (air) Out and thus, by definition, sucking cold In!

Yeah.  You have to dehumidify it, but you have to heat it far less.  40W tube heater wouldn't do for my setup, but a combined 220W does just fine. They are both something like 1 metre wide.

I don't know how reliable it is, but I read somewhere that it is worth putting the metal tape - that you join bits of kingspan together with - along the beams to reduce heat radiating through the beams in effect. Their idea was that it makes the skeleton of the shed glow, they were concerned about drones or helicopters seeing their shed with IR cameras. It sounds unlikely to me, but had I read it while I was insulating my shed, I would have done it anyway, in case. Lol.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

Yeah.  You have to dehumidify it, but you have to heat it far less.

It's walking directly into my arms here, Midge! :D  My Dehu is my last great battle, mate!

I'm going for a Comp' type though. And I'll probably bung it In the tent. I see people swear by / absolutely dismiss 'both' angles. Each absolutely adamant that they're right and the other guy's making it up, because it can't be done :rolleyes:

Well, let their gods sort them out. I'm formulating my own notion, taking from what ever sounds like an idea to Me.

" The Beams " though? I'm guessing ye mean like the frameworks of the tent? What; They trap the heat and present a tents framework heat signature, to passing cop copters spying down with infra red???

Jesus christ!  I think I'll be alright on that score! Round here, we still look up when we hear an aeroplane!  lol

On 25/08/2018 at 4:25 PM, Kaidog said:

Hello,

Question for UK winter shed growers...

Gonna be my first year trying to grow under lights in my garage type shed, only have a wardrobe size grow in there with a 300w led system and 2x 35w CFLs.

Would a 40w tube heater do me through the winter or would I need something bigger? (UK)

What size shed grow do you have and how do you heat it through the winter?

Welcome. Check out me diary from 10 years ago. Link in signature. Ah I see that the dogs have gone. I’m trying to find the diary and post a link to it. 

Edited by NotGoingGoa
Link inserted

20 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

I have a question:) Hypothetically.

Let's image you are dimming the LED to 180w for example and you implement with a 150w HPS and you turn the 120w heater off. 

Could it work?

3 hours ago, NotGoingGoa said:

Welcome. Check out me diary from 10 years ago. Link in signature. Ah I see that the dogs have gone. I’m trying to find the diary and post a link to it. 

Many thanks, would be very useful.

Trying to find it, but I can't.. I found only outdoor.

Do you remember the post name?

It is just me but PM are not working, and trying to search often doesn't give you all the threads discussing the search topic?

Just now, Amnesialocal said:

Many thanks, would be very useful.

Trying to find it, but I can't.. I found only outdoor.

Do you remember the post name?

It is just me but PM are not working, and trying to search often doesn't give you all the threads discussing the search topic?

Just click on link above. It worked for me 

32 minutes ago, NotGoingGoa said:

Just click on link above. It worked for me 

That's me then having some issue with the webpage:( I can't see any link and just blank area.

Yeah as you say, opinions vary, but I would put the compressor in the shed not the tent.

If it is in the tent, it will get rid of some of the humidity, but that dehumidified air will then be extracted to the shed. If you dehumidify the air in the shed, it is constantly sucked into the tent at the right humidity.

Once the shed is to temperature with the recirculated air, there is no problem, though if you dont recirculate, the air in the shed might become too cold for a non-dessicant dehumidifier to work (though I doubt it, but it will still be less efficient).

Whatever the heatsource, HPS or heater, will work as long as it can keep up with the cooling effect of the external air.

My tuppence anyway...

15 hours ago, Chal said:

Yeah.  You have to dehumidify it, but you have to heat it far less.  40W tube heater wouldn't do for my setup, but 220W does just fine.  I am only 1200x600 though, so only 72% of the area of a 1m x 1m tent.

• Like 2