2018 - Inapond13's Dinafem Greenhouse Grow

inapond13

On 20/05/2018 at 8:12 AM, inapond13 said:

Well, I have a PAK that has broke the surface, I'm assuming it is the one with the dodgy looking tap root as I think 23 hours for a dry seed put in soil to pop up is a bit quick.  So, hopefully back on track and will get 2 PAK's as planned...

Great news ;)

Pak (purple afghan kush ) can be a tricky lady even from birth. She will challenge you my friend but the rewards as you have seen are well worth it :yep:

So glad you have babies popping up now you can get your season started ;)

Will drop back in on the next update mate  :headbang:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 2

Ok, I seem to be right back on track now with my plants.  I have 2 x Critical +2.0 and 2 x Purple Afghan Kush seedlings growing quite happily.  Here is the picture:

large.IMG_20180529_113445.jpg

PAK's on the left and C+2 on the right.

A couple of more days for the C+2's then they can get a re-pot but I think it will be at least another week for the PAKS to be at the same stage.  The girls have been enjoying some lovely growing conditions in the greenhouse, being watered with just plain water currently and a misting of 1 ml Formulex in my spray bottle.

It's been a rocky ride so far, it took 5 seeds to get 2 PAK seedlings but I think that they now have a good life ahead of them...

• Like 5

I re-potted the 2 x Critical +2.0 plants that were the bigger.  Here are the pics:

Before the re-pot

large.DSCF4318.JPG

5" pots prepared:

large.DSCF4319.JPG

Root pics:

large.DSCF4321.JPGlarge.DSCF4320.JPG

Happy in their new homes:

large.DSCF4322.JPG

I will leave the PAK's at least another week as they are quite a bit smaller than the Critical's.

All is good in the greenhouse...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, inapond13 said:

I will leave the PAK's at least another week as they are quite a bit smaller than the Critical's.

Good call my friend  :yep:

Critical is much more vigorous in the veg phase and you can see by the roots that she was due a pot up and will appreciate that extra medium to spread those roots out  :yep:

Purple afghan kush look a healthy little lady and will be perfectly fine in that size pot for the next 7-10 days then she'll be ready for a new home also :yep:

Thank you for taking the time to update your outdoor adventure mate  ;)

I'll drop back in on the next  :headbang:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update.  The 2 x Critical +2.0's have been transferred into final pots, they are 46 litre vegetable planter bags from Wilko's.  I've made up my own soil mix using the following:

Plagron Batmix

Plagron Lightmix

Jack's Magic compost

Coco coir

Worm castings

Perlite

Vermiculite

FBB

General slow release fertiliser granules

SOP

Old supersoil grow soil mix

Here they are happy in their new home:

First plant

large.DSCF4351.JPGlarge.DSCF4352.JPG

Second Plant

large.DSCF4354.JPG

The second plant has a a very strange leaf texture on all leaves including new growth.  It doesn't seem to negatively affect the plant.  Here is a close up:

large.DSCF4355.JPG

Any ideas?  There are no pests on the plant...

It was also time to top them so a few days after putting them into their new home, I topped them after the 5th node:

large.DSCF4365.JPG

The 2 x PAK's are still slowly progressing.  They have now been repotted into their 2nd pot and I can seem them being in these pots of at least another week.  It is getting hot in the greenhouse and maybe they are flagging a bit as they seem a bit miserable:

large.DSCF4357.JPGlarge.DSCF4356.JPG

New growth is healthy so I am not too concerned but any advice is appreciated.

Due to the hot weather I have upped my air flow in the greenhouse.  I have added a couple of 12" fans to the 2 x 6" fans I already had.  Here you can see all but one of the 6" fans which is tucked away to the left near the rear:

large.DSCF4363.JPG

The white fans oscillate and the whole greenhouse is a breezy place.  Still stinking hot but there is no stale air...

I also seem to have a bit of a deficiency resulting in a few leaves looking like this:

large.DSCF4353.JPG

Any suggestions?  Also could just be heat related???

I'm thinking that the C+2's are going to get pretty massive and will need quite a bit of taming to keep them controlled within my grow space.  The PAK's are going to be smaller, I know they are usually slow in veg and I am certainly experiencing that.  I am happy with that though and it is also one of the reasons I picked them.  I will be able to more easily fit them in the greenhouse.

Thanks for reading...

• Like 3

You've definitely got a deficiency going on mate and the heat will not be helping :)

Now that the critical are in the finish pot which are huge by the way (46l) this will let the ladies get them roots down then focus on the vegative growth  :yep:

I've just had a quick read and I could be totally wrong with overfeeding it could be an issue of your medium being to hot (to much nutrient in the medium burning the roots)

As most plants look effected I'm going to say it's the medium being to hot @beezee What would you say brother or @MacGanja you to know a lot more with outdoor than myself  :)

Is it to much feed?

Not enough feed?

Temps to high? 

Thanks gents ;)

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 2

I don't think it's too much nutes as it's staying at the bottom and not on new growth, so I'd go with a deficiency. 

Try flushing with a high N general purpose feed like fishmix.

I'd also say to keep the soil slightly wetter in this hot weather as pots can dry out really quickly. 

• Like 3

I don't have as much experience as at @beezee.... But I will throw my 2 cents in....I would say the opposite to beezee... Just to be annoying:george:

I going to take a guess and say you have made yourself some very super super soil! If your like me I was abit gun ho with the measurements...adding abit more for luck too many times.... I did this last year and the soil was too rich for the young plants causing a lock out of either nitrogen or a combination of a few things.... I have a plant showing similar traits currently... Again abit heavy handed with proportions.... My go to method no matter what the deficiency is to give it some Epsom salts... 1 tbs per watering can... Epsom salts help the plant take on Nutrients and give them a dose of magnesium... Either that or PH is out of whack and not allowing Nitrogen to be absorbed.. But like I said beezee has far more experience! So maybe just another perspective... Or something else to try.. 

Edited by MacGanja
Leaving out words
  • Like 3

@beezee This is the direction I went with initially then after reading the soil recipy I do feel it is a little hot. Not necessarily for older plants but definitely in this early stage. With this said I keep looking at the new growth and I can't see any visable signs of over feeding. No tip burn or any signs that over feeding is an issue.

@MacGanja Thanks for dropping in brother and your input is valued that's why I asked :yep:

A good flush will do no harm and might help to flush that medium through then allow the plant to return to normal nutrient uptake  :yep:

Epsom salts will do no harm so do a flush then do a watering with Epsom salts  :yep:

This is one of those issues that could have many causes so always best to get more perspective  :)

Thank you gents  :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, MacGanja said:

I would say the opposite to beezee... Just to be annoying

Twat lol to be fair I'm not much this with this sort of stuff and usually do the wrong thing :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beezee said:

Twat lol to be fair I'm not much this with this sort of stuff and usually do the wrong thing :D

I have noticed... That's why I said do the opposite! lol Only joking...

Problem is it could be so many things... It's just a case of trying to eliminate one thing at time and hope you get it right... 

• Like 2

@Dinafem-Mark @beezee @MacGanja

Thanks everyone for your input here.  It is greatly appreciated.  The plants continue to have healthy growth and I'm going to treat the problem as a deficiency at the moment.  A flush with fish mix will be done later today backed up with some epsom salts after that.

To tackle the continued heat we are having here in the UK and also to increase privacy in my greenhouse, I have just spayed my greenhouse with Summer Cloud white paint.  The heat is much less but the light levels are still good.  With all of the fans going, I now pop into the greenhouse to cool down when the sun is blazing in the garden.  I only did this yesterday so I will now wait to see if it has any affect on the plants...

• Like 2

Good plan with the fishmix, there's another product that could help called rhizotonic, it's a bit expensive so I wouldn't bother unless your really struggling. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/07/2018 at 11:52 AM, inapond13 said:

I have just spayed my greenhouse with Summer Cloud white paint. 

Please tell me more mate. This sounds interesting  :yep:

All the best 

Mark..