2018 - Inapond13's Dinafem Greenhouse Grow

inapond13

Lets hope it is a great summer for growing, I have my fingers and toes crossed...

Firstly, a big thank you to @Dinafem-Mark and the whole Dinafem team for running this competition and providing the seeds.

large.DSCF4193.JPG

This summer I am growing Critical +2.0 and Purple Afghan Kush.  Lets see what can be done in the greenhouse with these at Lat 53.5.  I have done greenhouse grows before and have learned a lot over the years but I have never ran with any Dinafem beans before.

I have just put the seeds into moist paper towel in a takeaway plastic container and have put them into the airing cupboard.  Once the tap root gets to around 1cm, I will transfer into pots.

Here they are:

large.DSCF4194.JPGlarge.DSCF4195.JPG

As you can see, I am running 2 of each variety which I think will be plenty in my greenhouse, especially as I am also running some autos which you can follow in my other diaries in the 'Growing under glass' section of 'Outdoor growing'.

I typically like to grow in soil / compost with lots of amendments (supersoil) but this year I am thinking of backing of a little with the supersoil and use a combination of amendments and Biobizz Fishmix and Bloom as well as Maxicrop Seaweed extract and Formulex.  I will amend the soil and will detail as I do it but I won't be relying on it as the sole source of nutrients.

My greenhouse is 9' x 12' and I will also be growing tomatoes and chillies in there, mainly as a visual cover crop to hide my cannabis plants but I also love to eat them.

I also have the following in my greenhouse which help hugely:

2 x Auto roof vents

1 x Auto intake louvre

1 x Bio Green 2kW electric greenhouse heater with thermostatic control

1 x 20 l/day dehumidifier plumbed in for continuous use

1 x water butt with airstone

Timer controlled automatic watering system to keep all my plants alive when I go on holiday

Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer.

I'm really looking forward to this years grow and feeling very optimistic.  Last year, I only did one small plant that gave me smoke until 5th January.  This year I'm hoping to do a lot better.

The final pots I will use are 42 litre vegetable bags from Wilko's that I have used before with great success.  They are light weight, hold a lot of soil and are easy to work with.

I think that is enough for the first post as not much has really happened yet.  Hopefully, seeds will be in soil in a couple of days, will report back then...

• Like 6

The seeds have been in the airing cupboard for 2 1/2 days and I have just taken them out and planted them into Plagron LightMix.  I have never used this medium before but have heard good things.

PAK:

large.DSCF4273.JPG

C+2

large.DSCF4274.JPG

Planted:

large.DSCF4275.JPG

• Like 7

Looking good sir and will pull up a chair and watch the show.   Keen to see how they develop with love in the greenhouse,  i wish i could do similar but with working away so much i cant give them the love they need other than `a bit of time every weekend.   

Keep the pics coming :) 

• Like 2

Day 4 and we have had a bit of activity over the weekend.  One of the Critical +2.0's was up on Saturday and now only waiting for one of the PAK's to surface.

Here is the picture:

large.DSCF4278.JPG

Critical +2.0 on the left.  The lower one can just be seen popping through.

PAK's on the right, top one just poking through and still waiting for the lower one.

Propagator lid is now back on to keep the humidity nice and high.  Next update in a few days...

• Like 5

Firstly thank you so much for getting your 2018 Dinafem outdoor adventure up and running  :bong:

Secondly your off to a solid start. Great germination and seedlings starting to emerge above ground ;)

Finally I'll be tagging along and watching with interest  :headbang:

Good luck this season my friend :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1

Well, I have made my first mistake of the year and I'm glad it has been right at the beginning as I correct easily by popping a few more seeds.

It has been really hot in the greenhouse, about 35°C with the door and vents open and 2 fans on constantly while we have been having this sunshine.  I have then had my seedlings under a propagator lid that has kept in so much heat that my seeds / seedlings have cooked in there.  Only one of the Critical +2.0's has made it through.  The other that was poking through has started to shrivel and die.  The PAK that had popped up and still had the seed casing on just rotted and the seed separated from the stem.  The other PAK is still below the surface.

I touched the soil and it was hot.  I got my laser thermometer out and the soil was at 39°C.  Ouch.  No wonder they died.

Here is a very miserable looking picture:

large.DSCF4290.JPG

So, I have put 2 x PAK and 1 x C+2.0 in paper towel to germinate to compensate for my mistake.

I'll not make this mistake again.  Live and learn...

Thanks @Dinafem-Mark Hopefully will get it right this time...

• Like 3

I have just put the 1 x Critical +2.0 into soil as it had a nice fat tap root.  It is still in the airing cupboard (much cooler than the greenhouse atm) with a bag over its head and will stay there until it's head pops out above the soil.

The PAK seeds are much slower this time.  One of them has a tiny tap root showing and the other none at all.  They can stay in the paper towel a little longer.  I may need to pop another PAK as I don't think the one with no tap root showing will germinate.  Will wait and see...

The C+2.0 that survived the propagator incident is still doing fine.  Will update with pictures when I get them all in the greenhouse again...

• Like 5

Good luck with the replacements dude.

Keep an eye on the Paks in the paper towels. One of mine, the tap root went brown and it never surfaced when I put it in compost.  i don't think it liked being too wet for too long. The other 2 were fine ;)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jadenugs said:

Keep an eye on the Paks in the paper towels. One of mine, the tap root went brown and it never surfaced when I put it in compost.  i don't think it liked being too wet for too long.

Yep, I was starting to think this myself.  If I have any more fails, I think i might do the last seed the old fashioned way and plant in soil.  Thanks for your advice...

• Like 3

Here are the seeds I currently have in the paper towel.  I'm pretty sure the one on the left is a dud and the one on the right is worrying me also:

large.DSCF4296.JPG

A close up of the one on the right.  It has a brown tinge to the end and appears a bit flat at the bend in the tap root:

large.DSCF4297.JPG

Going to stick that one in soil now and see what happens...

• Like 5

I have just put my last PAK seed straight into soil as I'm not having great success with the paper towel method with these PAK seeds.  I really want to get at least one PAK as they look awesome in others diaries.

My 2nd C+2.0 is above the soil now and has been put into the greenhouse this morning.  Looking healthy and happy...

• Like 3

Well, I have a PAK that has broke the surface, I'm assuming it is the one with the dodgy looking tap root as I think 23 hours for a dry seed put in soil to pop up is a bit quick.  So, hopefully back on track and will get 2 PAK's as planned...

• Like 4