Automatic Airborne Assault 2018

The Sheriff of Nottingham

I am pleased to report that the Quick Critical has survived the storm, with the loss of just one side branch. On the whole, damage was at the minimum, much to my surprise. I fully expected to lose the plant altogether and turn up to find it snapped in half, or destroyed, or blown away. But it has weathered the storm well. A massive sigh of relief. I think the highest wind speed was only around 45mph in the end, rather than the 50-60mph they had forecast.

Got a couple of very cold nights in a row coming up now, with nighttime temps in the low digits (1-3 degrees C) but sunny skies and daytime temps in the 15-18C range. The higher daytime temps should help negate the effects of the cold nights, but there is a 20% risk of frost on Monday night and 10% chance on Tuesday. So a slight concern again. But daytime temps back into the 20's C again come Wednesday, with sunny skies and warmer nights by midweek. Good flowering weather from then on for the last week of September / first week of October. 

:yinyang:

• Like 6

Might be wrong but i think frost would help kill any possible mould?

Good luck for the harvest fingers crossed mate :) 

Edited by mr_git
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, mr_git said:

Might be wrong but i think frost would help kill any possible mould?

Good luck for the harvest fingers crossed mate :) 

Cheers mate. I'm crossing everything that I can - fingers, toes, testicles. Thankfully, it looks like the weather is going to be good from Wednesday onwards, for a couple of weeks :D

Regardling mould and frosts... I have heard that said before, but haven't really found it to be true. I have had bad outbreaks of mould in the days/weeks following a frost. It does seem to kill back or hold back the mould for a few days, but the areas damaged by the frost end up dying and moulding too. Or it leaves the plant looking worse for wear. And the mould takes over again as soon as it warms up a bit. Overall I don't think it really helps much, if any.

One thing a frost will do is severely slow down growth and maturation, adding another week or so on to the finishing time. Especially at this stage. I guess it is a bit of a catch 22... but I think I would much rather not have any frost, and risk it with plants finishing up in good time... then have some frosts, and the plant subsequently damaged and flowering set back further by the cold, wth an extra week or two needed to finish. I have had 8 week strains go 11-12 weeks of flowering, well into November, when it is too cold and there are frosts. It just seems to set them back and slow everything down. That's just what I have noticed anyway.

All the best mate. 

• Like 6

We have been hit with frost here last night. The earliest frost in 60 odd years! We usually don't get our first frost until late October, but this year it decided to come a month early! Fucksake. Looks like I'll be adding an extra week or so onto the finish times for that Quick Critical. The bud maturation rate will definitely get slowed down by these frosts. A low of 1-2C tonight as well, but highs of 23C tomorrow. So it's radiation frosts occurring under the clear night sky, allowing the heat to radiate up into the atmosphere. It's not because of cold fronts. Radiation frosts are less damaging, from my understanding. But a pain in the arse nonetheless. Especially this early on in the year!

I have also noticed that the trajectory of the sun has dropped dramatically in the past week, or two. The Quick Critical plot was getting about 10 hours of direct sunlight a day in June/July, down to around 6 hours a day in late August/early September. But as of right now, I reckon it is only getting about two hours! The sun has dropped behind the trees, unfortunately. This plot might be best reserved for autos during the summer months. I didn't expect the sun to drop as dramatically as it has. I'm shocked how little sunlight my back garden is getting as well, compared to just 2 weeks ago! I can't wait for next spring. Don't want to deal with another long English winter :( 

• Like 7

Smashing weather the past two days, not a cloud in the skies and highs of 23C. It was hard to get decent shots of the Quick Critical though, due to the sun reflecting off everything and half of the plant being shades out...

large.img_9569.jpg

large.img_9557.jpglarge.img_9559.jpg

large.img_9565.jpg

large.img_9583.jpg

large.img_9587.jpg

Still about 2-3 weeks to go on this yet. I plan to harvest October 10th, but may push her to the 15th if need be. 

Unfortunately the first signs of mould have began appearing, so I am getting a bit worried. Probably 10 individual mould spots in total, and we still have a few weeks left. I have already picked off more mould from this plant, than on all 7 auto's combined that I chopped over the summer :ohmygod: 

Fantastic flowering weather at present though... 

large.img_9597.jpg

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, The Sheriff of Nottingham said:

Smashing weather the past two days, not a cloud in the skies and highs of 23C. It was hard to get decent shots of the Quick Critical though, due to the sun reflecting off everything and half of the plant being shades out...

large.img_9569.jpg

large.img_9557.jpglarge.img_9559.jpg

large.img_9565.jpg

large.img_9583.jpg

large.img_9587.jpg

Still about 2-3 weeks to go on this yet. I plan to harvest October 10th, but may push her to the 15th if need be. 

Unfortunately the first signs of mould have began appearing, so I am getting a bit worried. Probably 10 individual mould spots in total, and we still have a few weeks left. I have already picked off more mould from this plant, than on all 7 auto's combined that I chopped over the summer :ohmygod: 

Fantastic flowering weather at present though... 

large.img_9597.jpg

Shaping up fantastic mate. She's a sturdy girl That s for sure  :yep: The winds have been brutal and she looks totally unaffected  :bong:

Those buds are forming really nice. What would you say mate? A mid October finish? 

Thanks for the outdoor update brother  :bong:

Not long now ;)

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

Shaping up fantastic mate. She's a sturdy girl That s for sure  :yep: The winds have been brutal and she looks totally unaffected  :bong:

Those buds are forming really nice. What would you say mate? A mid October finish? 

Thanks for the outdoor update brother  :bong:

Not long now ;)

All the best 

Mark..

Cheers mate. Yeah mid October harvest for sure I reckon. She's in week 4-5 of flower now and needs another 2-3 weeks, I would say, so mid October sounds about bang on. Like I said, I am aiming to chop between 10th - 15th October. Mould depending. It looks like we have some good, dry weather on the horizon though so I should be able to push her to week 7. I can see some lower branch bits coming down around the 20th maybe, but it needs to be down and dry in good time as I am going away on the 25th for a week. So having to factor that in...

She definitely weathered the storm a lot better than I expected, although I did lose a side branch. I actually chopped a branch off a tree to use as a massive 6ft support cane though, as you can see in the pics, which I think kept her stabilised against the wind. A large tree actually came down in the storm about 10ft away from her, which was a bit of a close call. Fortunately it fell in the opposite direction, otherwise she would have been crushed. 

I have dusted one of the lower branches with pollen from a reversed WW XXL as well. Hope you don't mind ;) going to have some White Critical FV for next season :) 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bluntz27 said:

@The Sheriff of Nottingham Hi mate, glad she survived the windy weather just hope she survives the fucking cold weather we are getting now, it has come early this year!

Cheers mate! I'm glad she survived too. And yeah we have had a few light overnight frosts the past week, or so, where the temperature has been dipping down to 0C under clear nighttime skies. I think we had a touch of frost on 3 consecutive nights, but the days were crystal clear and sunny warming up to 20C. But now we have no frosts forecast in the next 2 weeks, but some cloudier, overcast conditions. Not much in the way of rain though.

The main coala should be coming down in the next 7-10 days. Not long now! 

• Like 3

@The Sheriff of Nottingham Has had a few issues with the end of the season. Nothing legal but totally wrong what was done to him :(

It's not my story so I'll let him tell it :yep:

Sad end to a decent season  :(

All the best 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark