BluntmanAndCroppin

Evening lads.. and ladies if there's any lurking! Hope youve all had a good day?

Well as planned and promised, the girls are getting a bit leggy in the windowsill due to it being so gloomy here the last week.. nightmare. So I decided to draw upon panik's design for the grow box in his Seed to Weed Guide. 

Firstly i just want to say this box is genius! And I made my own version today....

My shopping list was as follows: 

1 x Tub with lid

4 x 300mm LED striplights

1 x 80mm PC fan

1 x black spray paint 

1 x white spray paint

1 x roll of masking tape 

1 x pack of 20 50mm m4 bolts with nuts

1 x pack of 26 5mm washers

1 x tube of silicone

1 x roll of insulation tape

First off.. the only lidded tub i could locally - a clear one. Nightmare as I've had to spray the outside black and the inside white. I bought 4 300mm 5w cool white LED Battens totalling 1600 lumens if that even matters? They were £9.99 each.

large.IMG_20180425_190228.jpg

I sanded and scored the tub so the paint had something to adhere to.

large.IMG_20180425_190318.jpg

My adaptation to @panik's design is that I've added a trusty old PC fan to my box, fair exhaust or intake im undecided yet...)

large.IMG_20180425_213855.jpg

Then I marked out the holes for the fan and the light lead (i hadnt sprayed it by this point but forgot to take photos, it took 3 coats on the outside and still isn't fully light proof, getting another can tomorrow. I masked the bottom 2/3 inches of the inside before spraying) 

large.IMG_20180425_213844.jpg

Next i marked out the holes in the lid for the light brackets, drilled, and bolted them on. 

large.IMG_20180425_190348.jpg

This next step was satisfying.. fitted the lights to the brackets... they literally just click on. 

large.IMG_20180425_190408.jpg

Plugged them in to see the beast in action... They'e all linked to one plug.

large.IMG_20180425_190436.jpg

And here she is assembled!! I think I'm in love!! My plan is to fill the bottom with a layer of compost and perlite possibly 50/50 then just put my seedlings in their fibre pots straight onto that. If anyone has any input on that please let me know.. I just figured itd give the roots some extra space when they leave the pots! Which they are doing already.

large.IMG_20180425_213832.jpg

But yea. I'm glad it's made and I can guarantee the ladies some good light for a few weeks before they leave home...

32/33 seeds now above the soil. Waiting on one rogue Fire 99 to rear its head! 

That's it for tonight anyway.. Had to share this with you. Pretty proud of it! 

Shout out to panik for the blueprints!! 

Enjoy the rest of your evenings gents!

• Like 12

That's brilliant mate I think I need to make one I get paid tomorrow so I'll be having a butch in b and q for some materials before work 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, UKsFinest said:

That's brilliant mate I think I need to make one I get paid tomorrow so I'll be having a butch in b and q for some materials before work 

Cheers man, just wish I could've found a black tub literally none local had a nightmare today so just sprayed it myself! 

• Like 2

brilliant stuff mate ... i popped to the local wood salvage place and got 2x 6x5 foot sheets of    1/4 inch ply ... made up a box  about 3 foot tall   and  2.5 foot across  with a door ...i lined the entire inside with thick  aluminium foil  . put a 300w led pannel light in the  top  and im using it to start the seedlings off till theyre 6 to 8 inches tall .... then theyre off for a holiday up the mountain for the summer  .....:skin_up:

Edited by vortex
  • Like 6

Spot on that mate and a few inprovments , I like it, fair play and good to see people follow suit and try them out hope it all works perfect for you,.. :yep: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vortex said:

brilliant stuff mate ... i popped to the local wood salvage place and got 2x 6x5 foot sheets of    1/4 inch ply ... made up a box  about 3 foot tall   and  2.5 foot across  with a door ...i lined the entire inside with thick  aluminium foil  . put a 300w led pannel light in the  top  and im using it to start the seedlings off till theyre 6 to 8 inches tall .... then theyre off for a holiday up the mountain for the summer  .....:skin_up:

Nice, sounds good mate! I'm going to use this for now and potentially replace it with a black tub when the girls go out, mainly for aesthetics.. keep it nice and tidy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, panik said:

Spot on that mate and a few inprovments , I like it, fair play and good to see people follow suit and try them out hope it all works perfect for you,.. :yep: 

Nice one mate appreciated! Going to give the outside one more coat of black tomorrow hook the lights up to a timer and the girls are going in for a few weeks! Aiming to plant out no later than May 25th. 

• Like 2

Nice job mate, it should work well! 

If your putting stuff in the bottom, go with just perlite so you don't damage the roots when you lift them out ;)

• Like 3

nice early grow box that dude. 

as beezee says line the bottom with just perlite, youl have nice long white roots come planting out time. 

all the best with this years grow dude. and anyone else growing this year. lets hope its a good summer, i think its gonna be a good one this year. :smokin:

• Like 3

Alright lads, how are we all? Well the tub is finally finished! Gave it an extra coat of black on the outside and white on the inside this morning.. remasked the bottom and the line lower and a bit neater for aesthetic reasons more than anything...

large.IMG_20180426_105713.jpg

large.IMG_20180426_190116.jpg

And here they all are in their new home!! Absolutely loving their lives already!

large.IMG_20180426_190235.jpg

@beezee @smokie1 b c f c  I made a 80/20 mix of perlite and seedling compost with a small handful of well rotted manure for the base layer. It's basically perlite with a light coating of soil.. It feels almost like sand im pretty sure the roots will lift right out no worries. I did this to provide them with a little something should they want/need it! 

I also need to add throughout this diary ive been writing "me" and "I" or "Ive" when infact theres 2 of us working on this project. I brought my good friend in and hes been a valuable asset so far. Nice to have someone to share some knowledge with that is just as interested in the plant as I am. We are already talking plans for next season and going bigger.. having multiple plots etc.

Oh and out of 33 seeds 32 germinated and breached the soil. One Fire 99 sadly didnt make it.. after 2 days in tissue and 5 in soil my curiosity got the better of me earlier and I dug her up... and nothing.. so I had to let her go...

• Like 7

the fire99 indoors i run for crimbo smoke, all 5 or 6 was fire kush allrite mate. clone them all if your after a dense budding kush, there real dense and sticky. compared to most og kush that have airy buds. i have 5 i think in the fridge, 3 are getting popped soon. im sat on auto tangie n a few others now, so il germ soon. got a load of vegging plants around my yard,  but room for more. lol 

all the best with the grow mate. :smokin:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, smokie1 b c f c said:

the fire99 indoors i run for crimbo smoke, all 5 or 6 was fire kush allrite mate. clone them all if your after a dense budding kush, there real dense and sticky. compared to most og kush that have airy buds. i have 5 i think in the fridge, 3 are getting popped soon. im sat on auto tangie n a few others now, so il germ soon. got a load of vegging plants around my yard,  but room for more. lol 

all the best with the grow mate. :smokin:

Nice one mate, I'm going to be taking a few cuts from any stand out ladies definitely. Give me an excuse to fire the new light box back up aswell haha.

• Like 1

Just a quick update whilst I'm at home.. They spent their first night in the new box last night and they look happier already.. probably had an hour of sun tops this last week its been shocking and a few seedlings were getting pretty leggy stretching for the non existent light in the sky! 

Here they are anyway... 

large.IMG_20180427_111813.jpg

This Mighty Gold really stands out from the crowd

large.IMG_20180427_111826.jpg

Can't wait to see what a few weeks in the box does before plant out! 

I'll also add that the beans got wet on 18/4 and were all planted on 21/4

Edited by BluntmanAndCroppin
  • Like 3

Looking good mate, love the box.

Iv tried a few contraptions in my time, never thought of using one of those plastic containers. Scrapped them all and bought a small tent.

Wished I'd of thought about what you've used :yep:

Good luck with the grow

Edited by Jack010

21 hours ago, Jack010 said:

Looking good mate, love the box.

Iv tried a few contraptions in my time, never thought of using one of those plastic containers. Scrapped them all and bought a small tent.

Wished I'd of thought about what you've used :yep:

Good luck with the grow

Cheers dude! I love it haha, well proud of it. Cant take the credit for the idea though that fully goes to @panik I took it from his Seed to Weed Guide in another thread! 

I've made some contraptions myself over years.. from an old wardrobe with 10 cfls and 6 pc fans for exhaust and intake to a full custom built cupboard with a 600watt air cooled HPS and all the trimmings which sadly got emptied dismantled and stolen by an ex's Dad whilst I was away one weekend :wallbash:

I made this box for stealth purposes and so far its doing the trick! It's in my kitchen near the bin with a few cardboard boxes and empty jars on top of it, just looks like a recycling box :naughty: im going to get a sticker for front of it saying Recycling too why the fuck not haha.. definitely investing in a small tent when i have the space and privacy. I'm currently on the waiting list for an allotment plot aswell so when that day finally comes ill be able to start them and bring them on there! 

Hope you'e all good mate, how's things your way?

• Like 2