RDWC Build guide

badbillybob

That video of the diy build- heres a couple of pointers for you.

see the big tubed return pipes. these are not balanced in this system, so expect roots to travel down the pipes (I presume this is why he used big bore pipe. )

If he had followed through the pots, (i.e had the big tube inlet and outlet on opposite sides of the pots) and did the turn on the outside of the pot, instead of turning 90 degrees within the pots, it would have saved this from happening.

it would also balance the nutrient going out of the pots, keeping the roots central in the bucket, and preventing them travelling down the tubes and possibly blocking them.

Just something to consider if you plan making one. 

• Like 4

Hey Bill,

How goes?

Hope you're staying sane during these crazy times!

Thanks for the welcome in the newbe section yesterday.

I've enjoyed reading through your builds, thanks.

Hope you don't mind me asking - have you ever had a root ball block up the 40mm waste pipes?

I planned on using this size pipes and have bought 40mm tank connectors but have since realised the size of possible/hoped for roots!!!! and possible blockages. To counter this and not waste the 40mm connectors i was gunna add another 40 pipe between each pot, 1 in each corner.

Or stick with 1 pipe but offset the inlet and outlet and have the plant sitting to one side towards the inlet - its a 4 pot inline RDWC (with chiller ;) ).

I'm using rectangular 24lt Whambam boxes - wished I gone for the next size up, but have countered this by adding a 5cm section of 14cm dia pipe between the pot lid and the the mesh pot, sitting the pot up a bit giving me extra water and root space in same size pot.

Any advice welcome.

Regards

Q

• Like 1

ive not had roots going down the pipes so far, and I just use 40mm returns. 

but this is because they are balanced returns. these are directly opposite each other in the totes. if you add another, it will create problems, because it wont be balanced, the roots will be attracted to the 3rd hole , if you get me.

But I don't pump water through the system, like most recirculating dwc systems, which constantly drag the water through the buckets, instead I use waterfalls/spraybars to introduce the water to the pots, letting it drain back by itself.

your totes sound a bit small for rdwc, but ive seen them used before successfully.

if you are worried about roots going down the pipes, just turn the pots every few days, or get bigger pots. putting the airstone near the exit hole also helps.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 6:35 PM, badbillybob said:

That video of the diy build- heres a couple of pointers for you.

see the big tubed return pipes. these are not balanced in this system, so expect roots to travel down the pipes (I presume this is why he used big bore pipe. )

If he had followed through the pots, (i.e had the big tube inlet and outlet on opposite sides of the pots) and did the turn on the outside of the pot, instead of turning 90 degrees within the pots, it would have saved this from happening.

it would also balance the nutrient going out of the pots, keeping the roots central in the bucket, and preventing them travelling down the tubes and possibly blocking them.

Just something to consider if you plan making one. 

If I can just add I’ve been making these systems for over ten years now and I still ask bad billy for advice....ignore his advice at ur peril.....for all you RDWC fans I know he’s working on something special.......watch this space x 

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 2

@badbillybob it’s a little to early to see if the copper mesh Addition we discussed does anything....it won’t be long tho b4 I find out.....the whole f@cking lot are female :toldya::toldya:

worse problems to have mate, and yeah id forgotten about the copper mesh to be honest, so thanks for the save

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@badbillybobsorry if this is a stupid question but if you were to measure the temp in the res wouldn’t there be fluctuations because of the warm water returning and the cold water being added from the chiller?

i mean it obviously works but I can’t get my head round it is this more witchcraft like the negative pressure in water?

possibly yes, there would be temp differences, but not by much, because your chiller pump is flowing 1000 litres a minute through the chiller, and your spraybars are flowing 5000 odd litres a minute through the pipework.

there are frmulas for working out you water exchange, as in how many changes per minute in recirc systems, but you also have to take into account variable factors like bends in the pipework reducing flow etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't use them, ithe lids are really flimsy, and there is a fair weight of plant to support, and the plastic is pretty thin. ive looked at them before, but really cant recommend them to be honest. I think they would fail, with the pressure of the water inside them

I would be looking at really useful box company  42 litre boxes, or if you want to do 2 net pots in one box, get a 64 or 84 litre one they have flat sides too which helps for pipework and tank connectors. they also come in black, which is better for roots apparently, tho ive never noticed any difference myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some Wham Bam black heavy duty storage boxes off ebay for my system. They're made of recycled plastic, but are really tough and durable and have loads of sizes. if anyones looking for some good quality totes.

• Like 2