RDWC Build guide

badbillybob

Hi Ken, its been a bit of a slow start.

i was feeding twice a day, then i went to 4 times a day, but that was just over-soaking the root riot, so i put it back to twice a day feeds, in the hope the roots will emerge and go looking for water.

its only been about 4-5 days or so but they arent out the bottom of the netpot yet.

i will keep you updated once they do something..

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

nice to know there's an option other than the highly expensive R-DWC (Alien lets say) systems out there.

I'd love to get into it eventually. it would probably cost me a crop to get kitted out. then there's the learning curve.

once its dialled in though....

mysticriver 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just as an update, the NFT table system didnt work out for me.

PLants looked overwatered and im not convinced that the res was big enough, but hey ho, got to try new things or we would still be growing in mud :fart:

i bought enough pipe today for a decent 4/5 pot rdwc system, including all the fittings and the pipe for the top feed, it came to £70 .

so factor in 4/5 pots, netpots, a pump, reducer and a chiller and you will see it doesnt need to be a 1500 quid alien system to grow some decent buds.

i reckon 400 quid would more than cover it, depending on what size chiller you bought.

• Like 3

Just now, badbillybob said:

Just as an update, the NFT table system didnt work out for me.

The very first system I ever tried, what a fecking disaster that was, struggled for several crops and never got through one.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 28/11/2021 at 3:59 PM, stu914 said:

The very first system I ever tried, what a fecking disaster that was, struggled for several crops and never got through one.

im using nft table asa wilma with coco .....best thing for them.

im heading back to rdwc tho after this grow. 

• Like 1

I have x30 40mm tank connectors hanging about. 

Want a 4 pot system with separate control/ pot outside tent. 

what are my options here guys? Is 2 outlets per tub ok or should I use x4?

I also would like the 4 pots in a square if possible rather than a straight run but can’t see how I would add the control pot centrally/evenly?

I would prefer a tent but suppose I could whip up a simple room with roofing batten and I think Mylar is used for exterior but is there tent like thicker material available?

Any experienced guys got any ideas here?

cheers. 

On 1/16/2018 at 3:40 PM, badbillybob said:

Hello, my fellow herb enthusiasts, I have decided to put up a short build guide for people considering RDWC.

Now I have pictured 2 of my previous system builds, but unfortunately, the pigs stole them so I'm a bit limited in showing actual photos of various parts of the build.

I have built quite a few of these over the years, each one has been a learning process, and not without disaster along the way, as u do.

The systems shown will fit in a 2.4 by 1.2 tent (the 4 pot one) or a 1.2 tent (the 2 pot one)

These are NOT undercurrent systems, they are simple recirculating systems, utilising 22mm spray bars for the delivery and 40mm returns to the res. 

I have located the res outside of the tent in both systems, because this helps keep the temperature of the nutrients cooler, and reduces the work for the chiller (i'll come to that later)

So the system works by the process of pumping nutrient around the system, through  the spray bars. This nutrient solution is highly oxygenated, with high levels of dissolved oxygen produced by the falling water disturbing the surface tension (which creates DO(dissolved oxygen).

Now I'm not saying that this system is perfect or cant be improved upon, because nothing is perfect is it, its all a compromise in some way or other, before you all start slagging it off and telling me how I should have done this or that or whatever. I'm not really interested, ok?  good.......... then we shall proceed

Lets start with a list of stuff you will need to complete this build (2 pot system) The pictures are meant as a guide only as some of the stuff I describe is what I would do differently if I was to do it again

3No. really useful boxes (2 for the plants , one for the res) either 64 or 84 litre jobs (the more nutrient you have the more stable the EC and Ph will remain). this is why I use big boxes

A hole cutter for 22mm and 40mm pipework.

A number of 40 mm  tank connectors (6 in this case), plus 40mm pipework, bends and tees to suit. I use solvent weld fittings, which do not leak if done properly, unlike the push fit ones. The solvent weld fittings are also cheaper woop woop. the down side is that if you ever want to move the system or dismantle it, you will need a hacksaw lol.

A number of 22mm pipework fittings including bends, tees and pipework. 

I am not stating how many of each you use because it will depend on how you lay it out. I'm sure you are capable of working this part out for yourselves

A water pump _ I would recommend a 4000l/hr one for this size system, the 4 pot system I used a 6000l/hr one, but should have gone bigger.

A reducer from the water pump outlet to the 22mm spray bar. These can be bought off ebay as silicone reducers , just pump in the sizes, e.g 22mm to 26mmm or whatever it is.

Stainless hose clamps to suit this reducer, both ends.

various drill bits, a drill, 

A chiller- will depend on the total capacity of your system, for a 2 pot system I reckon you would be ok with a 150l chiller, I used a 300l one on the 4 pot system

Maxijet 1000l/hr pump and hose to suit the chiller.

Right, now to the construction part. we will start with the returns. these are 40mm, which are a decent compromise, you can go bigger (but they are expensive) or smaller (more likely to block with roots etc)

So take your really useful boxes and lay them in the tent where you want them to go, this is how I did itlarge.5a5e0ad0e48e7_rdwc7.jpg

As you can see the totes are side by side with the return pipes at the front and back of each box. Its always a good idea to set things out to make sure there is enough room for like lids to fit on (ahem), and all the pipework to fit  etc. Now once you know where its all going measure out your pipes, notiing where each one goes. I lay them out on the floor the way they will go in the tent, makes life a little easier.

The return pipes are attached to the box via the 40mm tank connector, which is solvent welded to the pipe When you drill the hole for the tank connector/ bulkhead, you want to try and get it very close to the bottom of the box,, BUT make sure you still have room  to screw on the nut. When you get the tank connectors you will see a rubber washer type thing - this goes to the outside of the box ok?

A word on solvent cement- you can get high as fuck off it so use in a well ventilated area (that's the health and safety pish out the way) Also, when using solvent cement, this is what I do to prevent bailing water out of the tent/ leaks  . Saw cut the end of the pipe, then sand off the rough end where all the scrappy bits are, and a small chamfer on the end of the pipe. (Use 100 grit sandpaper or above) Make sure nothing is sticking out from the pipe, like rough edges etc

Put the solvent cement on the end of the pipe, AND on the inside of the fitting it is getting connected to. Now stick em together, you don't get long.

When I join them together I kinda push the pipe in and give it a 1/4 turn at the same time. wipe off the excess glue (don't put it back in the glue pot)  Leave this for 15 minutes and it will be solid.

So glue all the returns together, putting it in the box, measuring trimming etc as you go, to be sure it will all FIT properly. No point glueing it all together then finding out your 10mm out on a measurement has fucked half of it up is there.

The returns are at opposite sides of the really useful box to equalise the return flow, so that the roots stay in the centre of the box. If both returns were at the same side of the box, the roots WILL migrate there and clog the returns. 

In the picture above you will see just below the spray bar Tee, the return pipes go to a tee fitting and then back to the res. If I was to do it again I would have 2 returns to the res, just in case the one was to block with root (unlikely tho it may be).

The picture above also shows the spray bars, the 22mm pipe inside the box which delivers the nutrients to the tote.

Drill the holes for these as high up the sides of the box as possible, you want as much fall from the water as possible. This one is drilled just below the top lip. 

These are done in a similar fashion to the returns, but it is easier to drill the holes for the nutrient to spray from before you glue the lot together. I use a small drill bit for the holes, and for this system, if I remember I had something like 4 holes on each  long side and 2 on the short sides. I had these holes drilled in such a way to spray the water around the base of the net pot, about an inch or 2 away from the actual pot itself, but its not really critical where the holes go, as long as the water can splash on the surface, creating DO.  The spray bars go to a TEE which goes to a single pipe from the water pump. A word of advice  - the pump outlet has a reducer attached, and then it goes to the 22mm pipe. You will see that this pipe goes through the side of the res. there is a reason for this, which is - if somehow the pipe detaches from the reducer, it will not go flying out of the way allowing the fountain from the res to flood the room, as the side hole will keep the pipe in place.

See pic below. Again if I was doing this again I would have the pump closer to the tent side of the box.

this pic also shows the reserviour, outside the tent. You can see the single return at the bottom of the box. The red thing on top of the pump is the reducer Like a said, id do a double return next time, but you get the idea. If you look at the pic above, then this one, its like, inside the tent- outside the tent

large.5a5e07b240c58_rdwc4.jpg

Here is my 4 pot system in action with spraybars (the spray bars are a different design, but the principle is the same). large.5a5e0a935742b_rdwc1.jpg

On the subject of dissolved oxygen, you can also add an airstone or 2 to this system. You don't really NEED to, but they help by creating yet more oxygen to the rootzone, like I did in the above system.

so that's the spray bars and returns done, you are nearly there. 

For the net pots you need to make some holes in the lids. I use 200mm net pots, and to make the hole I devised a cunning plan, baldrick would be proud of. here is how its done.

Mark the centre of the box lid, drill very small pilot hole, then get a piece of timber, and put a drywall screw through one end, so the tip of the screw ids protruding by about 3-5mm. then  measure out 95mm and put another screw through the same amount. Put one screw in the pilot hole you drilled, and then turn the wood through 360 degrees scoring a perfect circle into the plastic. Then you just keep on scoring round and round till you eventually go through the lid , or it gets so thin you can cut it with a Stanley.

Also when this is done insulate the boxes if possible, ive used Kingspan in the top pics, or even the silver reflective bubble wrap stuff for the lids is better than nothing, DO it.

chillers - you WILL need onelarge.5a5e07fa4d325_rdwc5.jpg

Chillers have a separate pump- a maxijet 1000l/hr job from the res to the chiller, and the warer will naturally return from the chiller to the res, , if you can try and get the return to make the water fall back to the res - more DO - you know it makes sense.

Pop in your net pot, fill with hydroton and grow big fuck of trees.

My first run in the 2 pot system produced 700grams from two (whisper it ) autos

Mission accomplished. If I think of anything else I will add it. 

Mon the water

@badbillybob What is the vertical white pipe protruding from the control res for? 

I can't see a purpose for it? Pr is some sort of level monitor??

Also in the first pic the 84l RUBs look clear as at the tops, surely you need black lightproof ones?

Cheers

Edited by takeiteazy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ahh sorry man, just saw this. the white pipe is for sticking the hose in to fill it up

the totes were clear, but sprayed matt black on the outside to lightproof. Also had 25mm kingspan over the top with holes cut for plants

• 1 year later...

well its only been a couple of months since i destroyed all my systems and dumped them, thinking oh well, thats that then.

got a call from a mate, "here do you want my alien pro rdwc system?

me "huh, how much"

mate- "oh fuck all, im just needing the room, just take it, youre a good lad, i know youre skint etc, but if you can germ me a dozen or two seeds that would be nice"

Me-"im a nice guy, sure"

still unsure how im gonna afford the leccy but watch this space.

its top spec with the 60 quid diffusers in each pot etc. should be fun...

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, plantters said:

@badbillybob Welcome back!! Look forward to seeing how you get on with the Aliens!! 😀

had one very similar before, but cops took it when i got busted. it performed pretty well tbh

• Like 1

Alien worked well for me too, not the all singing system you have but it wasnt a bad harvest in the end..

• Like 1