RDWC Build guide

badbillybob

hello again, fair wenches, im back with a different system build.

its still recirculating, but this one is  dripper system, as shamelessly copied from my old, old mate Stu914  :)

Im calling it the Stu-system.

First up, im using a old NFT table for this, a GT424 , i knew they had some usefull use (not a fan of NFT)

large.1.JPG

My plan is to use the top tray for the roots to sit on , soaking themselves in lovely nutrient, which will be provided from the res underneath, via a maxijet 1000 pump. i also have a microjet pump in the res to move the water nutes around, and create some additional dissolved oxygen.

the NFT  is 1010x 485 x 205mm, and will go in my 120 x 120 tent , once my current grow is done.

the plan is to use a seperate top board, made from either MDF, or OSB board, with the net pots cut into them as per the layout below.

to make this i got some parts, listed below

maxi jet 1000 pump, this has a 13mm outlet, and can be laid on its side by relocating the sucker base on the slots in the side of the pump

large.3.JPG

micro jet pump

alien 150mm pots,

some 4mm airline, for the dripper rings.

some flexi 13mm food grade hose

16  x 4mm tees, 

1 x 13mm Y or T pieces - ive shown 2 in the pic, but 1 of them is not really needed, you can just loop it, but you will need one for sure.

some 13-4mm reducer tees (depending on how many pots you are using

a 12mm 90 degree elbow

1 x stop end, as above, not really needed.

now i like to set out my fittings so i kinda have half a clue as to what im supposed to be doing, as per the pic below

large.6.JPGlarge.8.JPG

first the easy bit, loop the airline around the top of the pot and cut a section the same length as  the circumference of the pot.

im using 3 drippers per pot, so divide it into 3 equal lengths, and attach the tee pieces, with the outlets facing inwards.

then split between 2 of these to make the tee from the main feed line, which faces outwards.

like this. 2nd pic was taken before i added the feed tee.

large.4.JPGlarge.7.JPG

in the first pic, note the tape. i use this and set it to my tent size so i will be able to see the pot spacings for the plants, and space them out accordingly.

because the NFT is narrow, ive staggered the pots, not ideal but what are the options -answer=none.

Because there is hardly and space between the top tray and the MDF/OSB boards, im going to light proof the top of the netpots with some 150mm ducting, like so, but obvs cut to size once the board is on.

i am also going to measure the tubes to make sure that the netpots arent sitting on the NFT drainage tray, but rather they will be suspen-ded  an inch or so above it.- cos i know Stu likes a air gap, and i dont want to upset him............again........

large.2.JPG

more to follow, when i can be arsed get some more free time.

cheers, and cheers to Stu, who is the brains behind this system.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 6

so, a little bit more done today,

i cut my osb to size and jigsawed the net pot holes out.

i will be putting 2x1 timbers between this timber OSB top, and the edges of the NFT tank, with an additional centre support,  screwed through the top, to;

a) raise the netpots, and

b) light proof the res.

here you go

large.1.JPG

• Like 2

On 05/04/2021 at 4:48 PM, badbillybob said:

make sure that the netpots arent sitting on the NFT drainage tray,

The pots can happily sit on the tray, there is no 'gap' with this system...default_thumbsup.gif

(You'll probably be yanking the roots back on the table as they'll emigrate off the end into the res though - or let them roam - up to you)

Those duct tubes will restrict the roots bud, I'd leave them out...looking at the height of the pots and sides of the res, by the time the osb

goes on it should be high enough without any additional sides. Just cover it with plastic sheeting (both sides) and it should be fine.

If that's not enough you could always use a double layer of osb or some celotex board to raise the pots a bit, save all the faffing around.

It's also worth screwing a loop of some sort into the osb next to each pot to hold the drip ring in place.

This should work a treat bud...following...default_thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

i should have taken a better pic, side on, because with the table being on an angle the current gap between top of osb and lip of netpots, with the netpots sitting on the drain tray- it  varies from 25mm to 40mm.

So i think i will just put the 2x1 timber (40mm x 20mm) on edge screwed to the underside of the osb. this will rest on the NFT tray top lip, and keep it light proof. the central support will prevent any sag in the middle of the tray.

i was going to ask if you think i should add some NFT root mat to try keep them on the tray. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, badbillybob said:

root mat

Personal choice here billy, I've never used it but see no reason why you shouldn't give it a try...especially if it trains the roots to stay put...:yep:

• Like 2

Why is wood involved ?....the celotex would be better surely....runoff chance is minimal but still present.

Not a fan of the tubes as this system is going to support lateral rooting surely and would make a great veg launch platform for transferring into RDWC if not used for full cycle.

Watching with interest with a blatant intent to copy lol 

I would put root matt down if going full term as it keeps the water level across the table better and helps prevent pooling ime.....my mans doing NFT right now.....forgot how simple it is.

Keep on innovating brother.....I will get my nano generator water one day.

:skin_up:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

Why is wood involved ?....the celotex would be better surely....runoff chance is minimal but still present.

Not a fan of the tubes as this system is going to support lateral rooting surely and would make a great veg launch platform for transferring into RDWC if not used for full cycle.

Watching with interest with a blatant intent to copy lol 

I would put root matt down if going full term as it keeps the water level across the table better and helps prevent pooling ime.....my mans doing NFT right now.....forgot how simple it is.

Keep on innovating brother.....I will get my nano generator water one day.

the wood is to raise the large sheet of OSB high enough (2 inches)from the trays, that the net pots actually sit in the sheet without the gaps around the rim of the pots mate.

the tubes were only going to be invollved if i didnt use the timbers to raise the OSB sheet/ pots, so the tube would have gone from the top of the existing OSB sheet to the lip of the net pot, but it was a(nother) stupid idea, so i think i will go with the timbers to raise the whole sheet.

celotex would be great cos its waterproof, andwould probably mould better to the lid, and ive got a few bits of sheet kicking about , ill check it out, would be easier than using timber maybe.

i will add the root mat too, it cant do any harm eh?

todays job...

• Like 1

I see the principal your going for.....its just the 'celetox box' on the NFT system, I believe, is going to be a better shout and would still allow you viewing access without raising the lid.....which would be fatal if the matting was in place.

My mates done his on the cheap....he had spare pumps so just he sprays the water at the underside of the tray for DO.

Ive warned him to keep an eye on the roots getting in the pump and proposed a guard for them both (ie the feed and the DO pumps) until he gets an air pump.

• Like 1

yeah, i found a sheet virtually exactly the right size for the tray, maybe my luck is on the change.

ive just cut some holes in it about an inch bigger than the netpots, so the netpots or roots wont be touching the celotex. 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

Ive just realised I should be doing the same for my aero prop.

It would raise the level high enough for the 140mm nets to be out the way of the H spray bar.

The plastic I used is just the wrong material for the job and flimsy...the celetox would sit nice.... at say an inch thick ? allow the roots to come out everywhere.

I gotta get this whole seed to system transition a lot smoother and quicker until I can find a mum im happy to run perpetually cloned.

• Like 2

good idea Ken, im in the same boat, seedlings are a pain in my ass for transfer into the system, but if this works well i'll maybe make something smaller for them.

And so.....ta-daaaaaaa

large.4.JPGlarge.1.JPGlarge.2.JPG

im gonna use a saddle clip or two on the feed hose.

i know a looped system would have been better, but its only 4 pots, and i didnt have enough hose....meh!

last pic shows there is a small gap between pot and tray, this is the second lowest gap, the biggest is about an inch, im sure it will be fine anyway.

just a bit of paint and cut the hose for the pump to length, and i can start filling it with hydroton.

woop woop

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

woop woop

Woop Woop indeed, cooking on gas there billy...top job mate that should work superbly...:yahoo:

Another plus using osb is that you can fit anchors to it anywhere you like if you want to do some LST...

Looking forward to seeing this up and running...:yep:

atb

• Like 3

your an inspiration brother.....I finally got off my arse and replaced my floor and started the clean down.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i know a looped system would have been better, but its only 4 pots, and i didnt have enough hose....meh!

Give it a test and see if they're even - the wilma system doesn't loop but uses a similar layout to you. Its only a bit of pipe and a tee though should you have to go grow shop!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...