Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil

teehee

16 hours ago, BlueberryCookie said:

my bedroom was a bit to warm

I think it stays liquid at 21c or thereabouts.

When I make coconut oil in the magic butter machine it comes out green but when I do it in my Nebula Boost it comes out a nice beige colour. I assume it's because the MB stirs/chops the weed whilst the Nebula doesn't. Did you stir or just leave it in the slow cooker to do its thing? 

large.coconutred.jpg

Edited by KC
piccy
  • Like 4

I stirred it every 30 minutes, it's looking rather dark still. Could it have been because the weed I used was seeded? Thanks guys

Edited by lildaveham
Please dont quote the post above yours use the @function

• 1 year later...

I normally prepare my infused oil in the oven, then strain using a cafetière and some muslin over the funnel while pouring back into the jar.

Recently I became aware of mocha coffee percolators being rebadged and sold as canna butter makers. :) I've had one of those proper mocha pots for a long time, but hardly use it. So I thought about putting some AVB where the coffee normally goes, then boiling up a mixture of coconut oil and water to percolate through the AVB. Would be quick, but maybe need to run it through several times to get all the goodness.

Anyone tried this technique or similar?

I bought one of these Magical Butter Machines this week to test out on some of my less desirable buds.

Instead of just using trim I used untrimmed buds - 56g here about 1/2 Hella Jelly and 1/2 Nutter Budder

large.56g-untrimmed-herb.jpg

I bought the decarb kit so Decarbed in the oven for 30mins at 121C then let it cool before prepping the oil.

Managed to get a big 1.6L tub of coconut oil for less than £12 which I thought was pretty good. Scooped out just shy of 500ml (2 Cups to you Yanks) of coconut oil - warmed it and mixed that with the decarbed weed in the magical butter machine. The oil only just covered the 2 Oz I put in there.

Nearly forgot the Sunflower Lecithin but bobbed 2 tablespoons of that in too.

large.coconut-oil-magical-butter-machine.jpg

After 2 hours of whirring and whatnot it was ready.

I chucked all of the oil through the filter-press thingy I bought too and then mixed this (while it was warm) with a pot of honey to get them combined. After they were well mixed I added the same volume of cocoa powder as oil - so about 2 cups or about 200g of powder.

Blended them all together and then into a parchment-paper lined tray to set. I actually put them outside as its that fucking cold it was like being in the freezer anyway to get them to set.

Behold my coconut oil "fudge"

large.first-batch-canna-fudge.jpg

I cut this into 16 equal(ish) squares so with 2 Oz / 56g in there each square should be about 3.5g equivalent. As they differ a bit in thickness and whatnot its far from exact but I wanted a rough estimate.

Very rich but actually an OK result taste wise - the Mrs looked at them and was like wow, they actually look good - with that "honest look of disbelief" on her face... :shock: you can't eat many but as it turns out 2 is more than enough.

This is a good way of getting a decent amount of potent coconut oil down you without having to eat a cakes-worth of brownies or keel over from the amount of sugar in proper fudge. You could use Stevia or other sweeteners if you were diabetic / avoiding sugars too - the honey was because I was too tight to buy Maple Syrup.

• Like 11

I made some infused coconut oil using my mocha pot the other day. In fact I was "enriching" a batch I made a year ago, it was slightly understrength and had been sitting in the fridge neglected. I percolated a water and oil mix through my AVB three times. This had the effect of partly water curing the AVB, taking out some of the brown colour and tobacco-ish taste. As a result I was able to harvest the "spent" AVB pulp too, and eat that. 

Using a coffee percolator has advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, it's fast, and only uses one item so less cleaning up afterwards. On the minus side, the quality may not be as good as with slower methods, you can only infuse a limited quantity, and care needs to be taken not to scorch the oil. I found using the smallest gas ring on minimum setting was perfect, just as it would be when making coffee in fact.

I'll certainly use this method again as it's quick and easy. The resulting oil is not bad either, certainly gets me baked, but oh the cotton mouth when it really kicks in! :shock:

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

I last made canna caps with sugar leaf and leafy trim (1.5oz) with MCT oil. The oil was the 500ml bottle.  

The caps ended up being not strong enough.

This time around with the trim I have managed to dry sift to get some lovely sandy coloured kief. The stuff is the first run.

Do you think 28g of sandy kief with the 500ml of MCT oil will be strong?

I'm in two minds wether to use more or less kief. Any thoughts?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Green_bhoy said:

Do you think 28g of sandy kief with the 500ml of MCT oil will be strong?

I'd have thought so. Even stronger with 250ml of MCT! :D 

• Like 1

@Green_bhoy Yes that will be quite strong - depending on the purity of your kief and your tolerance. For popcorn buds and trim I have been working on the ratio of about 2 Oz bud for 2 cups (about 480ml) of Oil. I might try to cram more in - larger volume of oil but much larger amount of weed but I'm still working it out really.

With buds/trim there's a limit to how much bud you can cram in there and how much oil is needed to behave as an effective solvent and absorb the cannabinoids. I'll wager with kief that it's going to be easier to get the THC and whatnot into the oil as there's less plant matter in the way and a very large surface area (from the tiny bits of kief free floating). Kief is also more like hash really so its already likely well over 30% THC - so you can use less oil and make a more potent version as you are needing to cover less material.

• Like 5